+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

SAN FRANCISCO 49ER'S TRIED TO "TAKE OUT" GIANTS' ELI MANNING IN NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

SAN FRANCISCO 49ER'S TRIED TO "TAKE OUT" GIANTS' ELI MANNING IN NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

"New York
    Giants
    quarterback Eli Manning took some brutal hits in the NFC Championship
    game – far more than he's accustomed to. In fact, there's now a relatively iconic image of him calling for a timeout after being drilled
    into the grass, his facemask askew. It was a moment the world woke up and
    realized "wow! this guy is tough."

As it turns out however, Manning was likely the target of an unspoken understanding by the San
    Francisco 49ers daunting defense that he was the mouse that made the wheel spin,
    and in order to stop the well-oiled Giants offensive machine, he needed to be knocked out of the game.

“We need to take him out," cornerback Carlos Rodgers said.

That message was understood by all members of the 49ers defense, and wasn't
    something that needed to be vocalized. However, was there actually a bounty
    placed on Manning's head? Rodgers stopped short of saying that specifically.

“[The payment system is] competition in the [meeting] room … once the ball is
    snapped you’re not thinking about it,” he said.

Rodgers went on to say the word "bounty" overstates the situation, but added
    that the bounty system was in place in D.C. when he played under then defensive
    coordinator Gregg Williams. Williams, of course, having recently been suspended
    by the NFL for a bounty
    system he used while with the New Orleans Saints.

“It went on to guys just suggesting stuff in a room,” Rogers said. “If you
    knock this person out, let’s say a receiver, he comes across the middle. Safety
    knocks him out, a legal hit, you get this amount of money.”

This doesn't necessarily mean there ever was a bounty placed on the head of
    Eli Manning, but it does show that the 49ers defense aimed to knock him out of
    the game. The question then becomes: where is the line drawn?

It's common nature in competitive sports to target the best players on the
    opposing team, and while athletes don't generally try to maim each other, they
    do try to break the strongest link. In the case of the New York
    Giants
    , that was obviously Eli Manning. And the 49ers obviously tried to
    knock him out of the game.

But Big Blue isn't so innocent themselves. Shortly after defeating the 49ers
    and advancing to Super Bowl XLVI, linebacker Jacquian Williams and wide receiver
    Devin Thomas acknowledged targeting San Francisco wide receiver Kyle Williams, who they
    knew had a history of concussions.

"The thing is, we knew he had four concussions, so that was our biggest
    thing, was to take him out of the game," said Jacquian
    Williams.

Neither Manning or Williams were knocked out of the game, but both sustained
    some pretty big hits. And, in the end, Williams dropped the ball while Manning
    went on to the Super Bowl.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: SAN FRANCISCO 49ER'S TRIED TO "TAKE OUT" GIANTS' ELI MANNING IN NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

I can't see comparing the SF D trying to 'take Manning out' to the Giants D 'taking J. Williams' out.

Manning was positively CLOBBERED. Even Francesa couldn't say enough about his toughness the following day.

As for K.Williams - I don't remember him taking any hits - especially near his head - to aggravate these concussions. The way I took D. Thomas' remark was that K. Williams has had four concussions - the kid's gonna be a bit squirrely so we need to rattle him - NOT 'lets give him concussion #5". At least, that's how I took it

Re: SAN FRANCISCO 49ER'S TRIED TO "TAKE OUT" GIANTS' ELI MANNING IN NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME

The Saints have opened pandora's box for this kind of thing being exposed

its part of the game, always has been, always will be
    coaches paying out bounties on the other hand...

but getting best player off field of play no matter what the sport has always been a strategy

not safe for work - profanities - Gregg Williams pregame meeting before SF game - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhnn9kbqQUA

myself I think its a great speech

[quote user="CTLadyBlue"]I can't see comparing the SF D trying to 'take Manning out' to the Giants D 'taking J. Williams' out.

Manning was positively CLOBBERED. Even Francesa couldn't say enough about his toughness the following day.

As for J.Williams - I don't remember him taking any hits - especially near his head - to aggravate these concussions. The way I took D. Thomas' remark was that J. Williams has had four concussions - the kid's gonna be a bit squirrely so we need to rattle him - NOT 'lets give him concussion #5". At least, that's how I took it[/quote]

Kyle Williams is the San Fran receiver with the concussions. Jacquian Williams is our LB who knocked the ball out of his hand
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

It was stupid for our players to make those comments, though.

theres nothing wrong with legally hitting a guy to try to keep him from beating you.

Its when they start crossing the line and taking head shots, leg shots, dirty plays in general.

With Kyle Williams, there is no penalty for hitting him up high on kick/punt returns at all.

[quote user="GmenFan1980"][quote user="CTLadyBlue"]I can't see comparing the SF D trying to 'take Manning out' to the Giants D 'taking J. Williams' out.

As for J.Williams - I don't remember him taking any hits - especially near his head - to aggravate these concussions. The way I took D. Thomas' remark was that J. Williams has had four concussions - the kid's gonna be a bit squirrely so we need to rattle him - NOT 'lets give him concussion #5". At least, that's how I took it[/quote]

Kyle Williams is the San Fran receiver with the concussions. Jacquian Williams is our LB who knocked the ball out of his hand[/quote]

Right, and Tyler Sash did put a pretty good lick on Kyle Williams during a punt return earlier in the game.

It's an interesting story, but I don't recall any hits on Eli that were unnecessary or illegal (I could be wrong though). Eli definitely got beat up, and the 49ers got some tough shots in, but that's football. My favorite hit of all time is probably Leonard Marshall destroying Montana (maybe illegal now?).

i just think pro football is a game where these type discussions and plays take place all the time. i mean how great would it have beenfor Tuck, Osi, Boleyor any Giants defenderto knockout Rodgers, Smith and/or Brady????!!

i dont see any problem even talking about it! its the nature of the game.

i do think its wrong to put money on a players head tho.

[quote user="giants2thebowl"]The Saints have opened pandora's box for this kind of thing being exposed[/quote]

And the game is better for it.