+ Reply to Thread

SAPP CALLS WILLIAMS' COMMENTS " MOST HEINOUS, EGREGIOUS THING IN HISTORY OF THIS GAME"

SAPP CALLS WILLIAMS' COMMENTS " MOST HEINOUS, EGREGIOUS THING IN HISTORY OF THIS GAME"

"Michael Irvin, a Hall of Famer who has a reputation for saying exactly what
    he thinks, had <a href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/05/michael-irvin-almost-threw-up-when-he-heard-gregg-williams-speech/">some
    strong things to say</a> on NFL Network in response to the audio from Gregg
    Williams’ speech to his players the night before the NFC playoff game between
    the 49ers and Saints. Warren Sapp, a likely future Hall of Famer who has a
    reputation for saying exactly what he thinks, hasn’t been on NFL Network very
    much since saying exactly what he thought about the man whom Sapp thinks
    “snitched” on the Saints’ bounty system. So Sapp’s reaction to the Williams’
    tape came via phone interview with Steve Corkran of the Bay Area News Group.

“This is the <a href="http://www.contracostatimes.com/raiders/ci_20337023/warren-sapp-most-heinous-egregious-thing-history-nfl?source=autofeed#">most
    heinous, egregious thing</a> in the history of this game,” Sapp said of
    Williams’ remarks. And to those who think that Williams’ comments are in some
    way normal, Sapp said that it’s “an anomaly . . . one in three billion.”</p>

Here’s where it gets even more interesting. Sapp believes that one or more
    of the players should have stood up and said something to Williams.</p>

“Not for one second would I sit in a room and listen to someone say, ‘We’re
    going to take out someone’s ACL’ without standing up and saying, ‘What the hell
    are you talking about?’” Sapp said. “The way you play defense isn’t about
    malice. It’s about putting you in fourth-and-more than you can handle.”</p>

Sapp is right. As we said Thursday, it’s hard for assistant head coach Joe
    Vitt to play the “rogue coach” card when Vitt remained silent during the
    meetings and did nothing after the meetings to let anyone else in the
    organization know what was going on. Though it would take a lot more courage
    for a player to do something, the idea that no one said a thing means that the
    players either agreed with Williams, or that they believed the military-style
    hierarchy of a football team prevented them from doing anything other than
    sitting there and listening."</p>
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: SAPP CALLS WILLIAMS' COMMENTS " MOST HEINOUS, EGREGIOUS THING IN HISTORY OF THIS GAME"

You know, I thought about whether I would stand up in a meeting where the coach was telling us to hurt somebody. Realistically, I don't think that I would have said something unless I was a star player. If a second or third tier player called out a coach, I would have been benched or even worse, traded. Look, how realistic is it to call out your boss. I have to take care of my family. honestly, who would do that?

Re: SAPP CALLS WILLIAMS' COMMENTS " MOST HEINOUS, EGREGIOUS THING IN HISTORY OF THIS GAME"

It's easy to say "I would have..." I'm as offended by the thought of a "bounty" as anyone. But now we'll hear all of the "I would haves" that we can handle.

What I do find interesting is the number of players who have acknowledged bounties have no place in the game. I would have expected them to all say "no comment."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]It's easy to say "I would have..."* I'm as offended by the thought of a "bounty" as anyone.* But now we'll hear all of the "I would haves" that we can handle.

What I do find interesting is the number of players who have acknowledged bounties have no place in the game.* I would have expected them to all say "no comment."
    [/quote]That is encouraging. It is also because everyone on both offense and defense has an acl and can just as easily be on the receiving end.
    No one remembers who came in second.

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]It's easy to say "I would have..." I'm as offended by the thought of a "bounty" as anyone. But now we'll hear all of the "I would haves" that we can handle. )

What I do find interesting is the number of players who have acknowledged bounties have no place in the game. I would have expected them to all say "no comment."
    [/quote]That is encouraging. It is also because everyone on both offense and defense has an acl and can just as easily be on the receiving end.[/quote]

You're right (and I'm getting really tired of saying that []. My hope is that a lesson is learned here. I've heard some on SIRIUS say the audio tape of Williams favors lessened disciplinary action against players but I'm not so sure. When I was in the military and law enforcement we lived by the creed to do what we're told UNLESS an order is illegal or immoral.

It will be interesting to see how Goodell handle players in this matter. I don't think players can simply say "the coach told us....."

# 80