+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Cam Newton or Andrew Luck?

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="jax5338"]dalton should win rookie of the year. he's leading a team nobody thought was any good towards a playoff spot, with a fellow rookie at receiver and a pretty weak rushing game. all the while they play in one of the, if not the toughest division in the AFC and NFL.[/quote]

I don't see how you make that case. It's not a MVP-type award, so I don't know how much the team performance applies.

As far as stats go-

TDs:
    Dalton 18
    Newton 26

Pass Yards:
    Dalton 2,644
    Newton 3,297

Rush Yards:
    Dalton 87
    Newton 518

Yards/Attempt:
    Dalton 6.83
    Newton 7.98[/quote]

Personally I think it arguement is pointless. They are both having great rookie seasons and you cannot compare these 2 teams in a vacuum. Cam has way more weapons around him on offense than Dalton does. However, Dalton also has a better defense to help him out too.

Statistically, they are not nearly as divided as you propose. You ommited some of the stats in Dalton's favor. Cams wins have come against some of the worst teams in the league(Indy, jax, Tampa, and Washington) Dalton has beaten better competition(Browns x 2 , bills , jags, colts, seahawks and titans).

Either 1 makes a strong case. I think Cam may win it on hype alone, but Im not sure it would be right., especially if Dalton goes on a little run and makes the playoffs which is possible as they have 3 easy(ish) games left which would give them 10 wins.

Banned

When you break records like Cam is doing or you throw for 4000 yds your 1st year which Cam is gonna ultimately end up doing... hype isn't the reason you won an award.

To all the people that thinks Cam's numbers are garbage time numbers, you better go check the Panthers schedule. They were competitive in all of their games besides the one against the Titans... the ATL game was closer than the score indicates. They could've easily beat GB, NO, Detroit & Minnesota.

As far as Dalton making the playoffs... no way does Cincy, Baltimore & Pittsburg make it out of that division and until the Bengals can beat one of the bullies, they'll be the odd team out.

I love how you guys are in denial... I find it quite amusing. I said my peace, now it's up to Newton to continue proving you all wrong.

All-Pro

Even if his numbers were in "garbage time"..pretty much every rookie QB to ever start in the league loses a bunch of games and is perpetually in "garbage time", yet they still weren't able to produce like cam.

Cam's a good player, he needs to learn how to slide though(among other things).

[quote user="BurnerNYG"] no way does Cincy, Baltimore & Pittsburg make it out of that division and until the Bengals can beat one of the bullies, they'll be the odd team out.[/quote]

If the season ended right now, Cincy is in the playoffs. They hold the tie breaker with many of the other teams vieing for wildcard spots and they dont have a very hard remaining schedule.

The AFC north is easily the best division in football right now.

Banned

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="BurnerNYG"] no way does Cincy, Baltimore & Pittsburg make it out of that division and until the Bengals can beat one of the bullies, they'll be the odd team out.[/quote]

If the season ended right now, Cincy is in the playoffs. They hold the tie breaker with many of the other teams vieing for wildcard spots and they dont have a very hard remaining schedule.

The AFC north is easily the best division in football right now.
    [/quote]I think that'll be great if they make the playoffs and I'll be happy for Coach Lewis and the Bengals... the fans deserve it. I happen to like Andy Dalton... it only seemed like I was downgrading him because a few of the posters was trying to discredit Newton.

Banned

[quote user="NYfanatic"]I got to take Luck.
    I think Newton will slow down a bit next year and be figured out by defenses.
    Luck wont be so easy to figure out and I expect him to be another Manning.
    Though the NFL should be stock full of NFL starting qbs next year.
    [/quote]You been singing this same song since week one. Keep hope alive.

Veteran

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="jax5338"]dalton should win rookie of the year. he's leading a team nobody thought was any good towards a playoff spot, with a fellow rookie at receiver and a pretty weak rushing game. all the while they play in one of the, if not the toughest division in the AFC and NFL.[/quote]

I don't see how you make that case. It's not a MVP-type award, so I don't know how much the team performance applies.

As far as stats go-

TDs:
    Dalton 18
    Newton 26

Pass Yards:
    Dalton 2,644
    Newton 3,297

Rush Yards:
    Dalton 87
    Newton 518

Yards/Attempt:
    Dalton 6.83
    Newton 7.98[/quote]

Personally I think it arguement is pointless. They are both having great rookie seasons and you cannot compare these 2 teams in a vacuum. Cam has way more weapons around him on offense than Dalton does.* However, Dalton also has a better defense to help him out too.

Statistically, they are not nearly as divided as you propose. You ommited some of the stats in Dalton's favor.* Cams wins have come against some of the worst teams in the league(Indy, jax, Tampa, and Washington) Dalton has beaten better competition(Browns x 2 , bills , jags, colts, seahawks and titans).

Either 1 makes a strong case. I think Cam may win it on hype alone, but Im not sure it would be right., especially if Dalton goes on a little run and makes the playoffs which is possible as they have 3 easy(ish) games left which would give them 10 wins.

[/quote]

In most of the losses Carolina has scored 20 or more points and had a lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter. The defense let them down every time. If you switched the Bengals defense with the Panthers, Dalton would still be a good player but I can guarantee we would not be having this conversation.

There totally different QB's. Luck is the ideal Bill Walsh West Coast QB. People keep saying Peyton Manning but Luck is closer to the skill set of Aaron Rodgers in a bigger body. He is very accurate short range to meduim range passer.Luck has great timing ,accuracy ,and mobility and this system highlights all these traits</P>

Cam Newton isa better fitfor a Don Coryellbase system. He is the superior vertical passer of the 2 QB's. Cam can get the ball down the field and is an exceptional deep ball thrower.Rob Chudzinski's offense fully uses Cams gifts to the max.Robs offense is a modified AC system that uses the Tight End a lot more. Not surprising since he was the Miami Hurricanes TE coach when they were putting out Bubba Franks ,Jeremy Shockey and Kellen Winslow.</P>

[quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="jax5338"]dalton should win rookie of the year. he's leading a team nobody thought was any good towards a playoff spot, with a fellow rookie at receiver and a pretty weak rushing game. all the while they play in one of the, if not the toughest division in the AFC and NFL.[/quote]

As far as stats go-

TDs:
    Dalton 18
    Newton 26

Pass Yards:
    Dalton 2,644
    Newton 3,297

Rush Yards:
    Dalton 87
    Newton 518

Yards/Attempt:
    Dalton 6.83
    Newton 7.98[/quote]

Personally I think it arguement is pointless. They are both having great rookie seasons and you cannot compare these 2 teams in a vacuum. Cam has way more weapons around him on offense than Dalton does. However, Dalton also has a better defense to help him out too.

Statistically, they are not nearly as divided as you propose. You ommited some of the stats in Dalton's favor. Cams wins have come against some of the worst teams in the league(Indy, jax, Tampa, and Washington) Dalton has beaten better competition(Browns x 2 , bills , jags, colts, seahawks and titans).

[/quote]

In most of the losses Carolina has scored 20 or more points and had a lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter. The defense let them down every time. If you switched the Bengals defense with the Panthers, Dalton would still be a good player but I can guarantee we would not be having this conversation.[/quote]

Well, your prolly right, if they switched defenses Cam would have more wins.

But again,your ignoring the other side of the equation. How good would Dalton be if he had Carolina's offensive weapons around him?

It goes both ways.

Veteran

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="jhamburg"][quote user="jax5338"]dalton should win rookie of the year. he's leading a team nobody thought was any good towards a playoff spot, with a fellow rookie at receiver and a pretty weak rushing game. all the while they play in one of the, if not the toughest division in the AFC and NFL.[/quote]

As far as stats go-

TDs:
    Dalton 18
    Newton 26

Pass Yards:
    Dalton 2,644
    Newton 3,297

Rush Yards:
    Dalton 87
    Newton 518

Yards/Attempt:
    Dalton 6.83
    Newton 7.98[/quote]

Personally I think it arguement is pointless. They are both having great rookie seasons and you cannot compare these 2 teams in a vacuum. Cam has way more weapons around him on offense than Dalton does.* However, Dalton also has a better defense to help him out too.

Statistically, they are not nearly as divided as you propose. You ommited some of the stats in Dalton's favor.* Cams wins have come against some of the worst teams in the league(Indy, jax, Tampa, and Washington) Dalton has beaten better competition(Browns x 2 , bills , jags, colts, seahawks and titans).

[/quote]

In most of the losses Carolina has scored 20 or more points and had a lead in the 3rd or 4th quarter. The defense let them down every time. If you switched the Bengals defense with the Panthers, Dalton would still be a good player but I can guarantee we would not be having this conversation.[/quote]

Well, your prolly right, if they switched defenses Cam would have more wins.

*But again,your ignoring the other side of the equation. How good would Dalton be if he had Carolina's offensive weapons around him?

It goes both ways.

[/quote]

How much of a "weapon" did everyone think Steve Smith was at this point in his career before he had Cam at QB?