+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Cam Newton or Andrew Luck?

[quote user="jhamburg"]How much of a "weapon" did everyone think Steve Smith was at this point in his career before he had Cam at QB?[/quote]

He made the pro bowl in 2009, just 2 years ago. Pretty sure people thought he was good.

Did they have Shockey? Or Greg Olsen? DeAngelo Williams missed almost all of last year

Are you trying to imply that Carolina doesnt have more weapons offensively? Because if you are, then you are just showing yourself bull-headed and the discussion stops here, there is no reason to discuss with a person who only admits what he wants and denies facts.

I am not saying Dalton is better, as I said above they are 2 very different players who are likely both in systems that fit their respective styles. If they switched teams I doubt either has as much success as they have now. I just think too many people are discounting what Dalton has done. The guy has done the hardest thing to do in the NFL as a rookie QB and that is play winning football. Furthermore, he did it in the toughest division in football.

Cam has been a monster and has shown he can play in this league. But, he hasnt shown he can WIN in this league. It will likely come soon enough. But for Dalton, it has arrived.

Banned

Ok you say Dalton is winning in the toughest division, right? Has he beaten Pittsburg or Baltimore yet?

Cam has won 4 games this year, that's one more than Peyton in his rookie year and 3 more than Eli.

Cam is putting up winning numbers, it's not his fault the Panthers D can't stop a nose bleed.

Different strokes for different folks and I guarantee you that Carolina is gonna be a popular location come free agent time and with a few more high picks in the draft... they won't only be winning more games next year, they're gonna be a serious threat to go all the way.

[quote user="BurnerNYG"]Ok you say Dalton is winning in the toughest division, right? Has he beaten Pittsburg or Baltimore yet?

Cam has won 4 games this year, that's one more than Peyton in his rookie year and 3 more than Eli.

Cam is putting up winning numbers, it's not his fault the Panthers D can't stop a nose bleed.

Different strokes for different folks and I guarantee you that Carolina is gonna be a popular location come free agent time and with a few more high picks in the draft... they won't only be winning more games next year, they're gonna be a serious threat to go all the way.[/quote]

Im not dispuing much of that. Cam has been a blast to watch.

Let me put it this way. Stats are nice, but wins are the bottom line.

The Panthers have 2 more wins this year than they had all of last year. They had a lot of big name free agent signings this offseason too. Many felt the Panthers had 1 of the strongest Free agent groups brought in.

The Bengals, on the other hand, have 3 more wins this year than all of last and they lost several players to free agency. In fact, many pundits said their had the worst offseason of any team in the league.

So give credit where it is due.

Veteran

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="jhamburg"]How much of a "weapon" did everyone think Steve Smith was at this point in his career before he had Cam at QB?[/quote]

He made the pro bowl in 2009, just 2 years ago. Pretty sure people thought he was good.

Did they have Shockey? Or Greg Olsen? DeAngelo Williams missed almost all of last year

Are you trying to imply that Carolina doesnt have more weapons offensively? Because if you are, then you are just showing yourself bull-headed and the discussion stops here, there is no reason to discuss with a person who only admits what he wants and denies facts.*

I am not saying Dalton is better, as I said above they are 2 very different players who are likely* both in systems that fit their respective styles. If they switched teams I doubt either has as much success as they have now.* I just think too many people are discounting what Dalton has done. The guy has done the hardest thing to do in the NFL as a rookie QB and that is play winning football. Furthermore, he did it in the toughest division in football.

Cam has been a monster and has shown he can play in this league. But, he hasnt shown he can WIN in this league. It will likely come soon enough. But for Dalton, it has arrived.

[/quote]

No, they have more weapons but I'm just saying, most people wouldn't have rated those players that highly before this season. We had threads about Williams and Olsen in the offseason and the overwhelming majority of posters were against those players coming here.

Smith had declining numbers for several years and really a bad season last year, most would have said that Smith and Shockey were well past their prime. Williams seemed broken down, Stewart and Olsen are just OK at their respective positions. Even now the only top-10 talent they have is maybe Smith based on his production. Other than him they don't have much else at WR.

The differences in the teams are much more pronounced on defense, where Carolina's is one of the world in the league and Cincy is one of the best.

[quote user="BurnerNYG"][quote user="NYfanatic"]I got to take Luck.
    I think Newton will slow down a bit next year and be figured out by defenses.
    Luck wont be so easy to figure out and I expect him to be another Manning.
    Though the NFL should be stock full of NFL starting qbs next year.
    [/quote]You been singing this same song since week one. Keep hope alive.[/quote]
    Stats dont equal wins.
    4-8.
    Nothing special.

Banned

[quote user="NYfanatic"][quote user="BurnerNYG"][quote user="NYfanatic"]I got to take Luck.
    [/quote]You been singing this same song since week one. Keep hope alive.[/quote]
    Stats dont equal wins.
    4-8.
    Nothing special.
    [/quote]Eli Manning 6-6... nothing special. Ooops I forgot... he doesn't play defense.

[quote user="BurnerNYG"][quote user="NYfanatic"][quote user="BurnerNYG"][quote user="NYfanatic"]I got to take Luck.
    Stats dont equal wins.
    4-8.
    Nothing special.
    [/quote]Eli Manning 6-6... nothing special. Ooops I forgot... he doesn't play defense.[/quote]
    Eli wasnt very good in his first couple of games. Besides who was his playmakers?
    Tiki yes was great but he had a young Shockey and a Toomer who was ok.
    Cams weapons he started out with are better > then Eli had.

[quote user="BurnerNYG"]Eli Manning 6-6... nothing special. Ooops I forgot... he doesn't play defense.[/quote]its really sad that you have to dump on your own QB to defend a guy who isn't even on this team!

Go root for the Panthers already. It's sad Burner, it really is.

Banned

[quote user="Rusty192"][quote user="BurnerNYG"]Eli Manning 6-6... nothing special. Ooops I forgot... he doesn't play defense.[/quote]its really sad that you have to dump on your own QB to defend a guy who isn't even on this team!

[/quote]I wasn't dumping on him, you just read into it wrong. I'll never be a Panther fan but I'm a Cam Newton fan. I learned a long time ago not to make football bigger than life so I can make or take a joke about my team without getting all butt hurt about it. Those guys are getting paid millions and I'm just a mere spectator. Don't take nothing I say negative about Eli seriously because I'll be cheering for him tomorrow.

[quote user="BurnerNYG"][quote user="Rusty192"][quote user="BurnerNYG"]Eli Manning 6-6... nothing special. Ooops I forgot... he doesn't play defense.[/quote]its really sad that you have to dump on your own QB to defend a guy who isn't even on this team!

[/quote]I wasn't dumping on him, you just read into it wrong. I'll never be a Panther fan but I'm a Cam Newton fan. I learned a long time ago not to make football bigger than life so I can make or take a joke about my team without getting all butt hurt about it. Those guys are getting paid millions and I'm just a mere spectator. Don't take nothing I say negative about Eli seriously because I'll be cheering for him tomorrow.[/quote]I hear ya bro, and I know you was just trying to prove a point in defense of your boy, but to stoop so low - at the expense of your team lol dare I say shameful.