+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Farewell AFC, We Knew Thee Well

Re: Farewell AFC, We Knew Thee Well

[quote user="Kakaru"][quote user="BlueBlitzer"]The AFC scares no one. I mean who do they have ? The Patsies haven't won it since what ? 05 ? The last time the Steelers won it was against the 8-8 Cardinals ( And they needed a " Pick Six going Coast To Coast to win it. ) The Colts are back to being the Dolts. The Ravens offense, just can't get it done. The Chargers got old, and their not called the " Lords Of The Ringless " for nothing.The Jets crash and burn year after year. The NFC has the Giants, Packers, Saints, Niners, Lions, and even the Falcons who you cannot take lightly. NFC Dominates.[/quote]

The Cardinals were 9-7 that season, same as the 2011 Giants*
    [/quote]

Lots of teams have been 9-7. But not only did Big Blue win the SB, they stopped perfection when no other team could.

Que Al Michaels

" The Giant Fans will dine on that baby for a long long time ". ( Oh wait, not that long, we just won it again )

I consider the AFC as JV

Outside of the top 3 teams there is a big drop off.

Weak divisional competition

Tom Brady and Peyton had 6 gimmie games for years.

The AFC keeps sending the same teams -- Pats, Steelers, Colts.

In the NFC the only team to go more than once since 2000 is the Giants.

When you look back at the historical periods of domination (70s and early 80s for the AFC; 80s and early 90s for the NFC) you see the same teams making it to the big game -- Raiders, Steelers, Dolphins in the AFC era, 49ers, Cowboys, Giants, Redskins in the NFC era.

That suggests despite the NFC winning more in the last 5 years, the AFC still dominates because the same powerhouses get to the big game.

We could take this to another level by examining interconference records during these time periods.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="TheBookOfEli"]I agree somewhat. Don't sleep on the Texans though. I think the Texans have a legit shot of going to a Superbowl very soon.

But the NFC has also a legit shot to rule like they did in that 1984-1996 span.[/quote]

this

plus say what you will but the titans, chargers, steelers, pats, RAVENS should never be slept on. never.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Bench Player

Texans have a nice fairly young team and one of the best running backs and receivers in the NFL but Schaub worries me with his injury problems, I was surprised that the Texans didn't make a run at Peyton, he could of been a very nice fit in Houston.

Ravens on the other hand are getting fairly long in the tooth defensively and their quarterback even with all his bluster is still a fairly mediocre quarterback.

[quote user="Jerrob"]Texans have a nice fairly young team and one of the best running backs and receivers in the NFL but Schaub worries me with his injury problems, I was surprised that the Texans didn't make a run at Peyton, he could of been a very nice fit in Houston.

Ravens on the other hand are getting fairly long in the tooth defensively and their quarterback even with all his bluster is still a fairly mediocre quarterback.
    [/quote]

You should be worried about Schaub's injury problems. He's been a tarter for 5 years with Texans, but has missed a minimum of 5 games 3 out of his 5 years there.

We never really heard a believable reason why Texans made no run at Peyton. I thought that would have been perfect for both parties and their mutual goal--to get to the SB within 1 year (2 max).

[quote user="Jerrob"]Texans have a nice fairly young team and one of the best running backs and receivers in the NFL but Schaub worries me with his injury problems, I was surprised that the Texans didn't make a run at Peyton, he could of been a very nice fit in Houston.

[/quote]

understood. my point is you can't simply write theses teams off.

get hot at the right time...

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

The AFC is going through a transitional period. Teams are getting old and new ones are coming though. The NFC was in the same situation not so long ago.

Re: Farewell AFC, We Knew Thee Well for the 2011 season

But for the 2012 season. Giants play AFC North Division.
    Steelers, Ravens, Browns, and Bengals
    My take
    Steelers vs Giants. even match up
    Ravens vs Giants Ravens D is better than Giants D. Giants O is better than the Ravens O. Even match up
    Browns vs Giants. Giants should Dominate in all phases of the game
    Bengals vs Giants. Giants better in all phases of the game. Unless something goes wrong. Giants should Dominate again.
    Over all Giants should take 3 of the 4 games.
    NFL Football is so much better than NCAA.

Re: Farewell AFC, We Knew Thee Well for the 2011 season

I think we will see NFC dominance the way it was in 90s and early 2000s.

We may start seeing those huge blow out games again like 55-10 type stuff.
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***

+ Reply to Thread