+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Worst 1st round pick in Giants history?

Re: Worst 1st round pick in Giants history?

Philip Rivers. Bum never even played a down for the giants

Rocky Thompson 1970? RB. Derek Brown a close second.

[quote user="eastbayblue"]Jarrod Bunch anyone?
    [/quote]exactly cuz

Cedric Jones is my choice but you have to get Thomas Lewis into the discussion.

No one remembers who came in second.

[quote user="allentown PA"]Based off of the decision to make the pick and just how bad the player turned out to be who do you feel was the worst pick? my vote goes to Cedric Jones..5th overall..total bust imo[/quote]

Do you want to feel even worse about that pick? Look at who was picked at number 26 that year . . . .

I gotta agree with Jarrod Bunch. I literally do not remember him playing at all. i think he wore number 33. I atleast remember some of the other players mentioned.

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[quote user="allentown PA"]Based off of the decision to make the pick and just how bad the player turned out to be who do you feel was the worst pick? my vote goes to Cedric Jones..5th overall..total bust imo[/quote]

Do you want to feel even worse about that pick? Look at who was picked at number 26 that year . . . .

[/quote]In the second round they chose Amani Toomer which almost made up for Cedric Jones, although it took Amani more than a few years to blossom. They followed that up with Roman Oben and Danny Kannell and a few others who didn't contribute at all. Over all this 1996 draft was a stinker. Jmike calls that draft the turning point for our front office. They realized how ill prepared they were and went about getting it right.................They've gotten it right.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Veteran

[quote user="moecoastie"]I gotta agree with Jarrod Bunch. I literally do not remember him playing at all. i think he wore number 33. I atleast remember some of the other players mentioned.
    [/quote]Your bad memory isn't Jarrod's fault. He was looking really good both blocking and running and could even catch a bit. Until he was hurt he was looking to be worth every bit of the last pick in the 1st round. Bunch doesn't sniff the top of this list MO because his failing was injury and he wasn't picked until the end of the 1st. William Joseph, Ron Dayne, Cedric Jones, Ty Wheakley, Thomas Lewis, Dave Brown, and Derek Brown all rank as worse off the top of my head.

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

[/quote]In the second round they chose Amani Toomer which almost made up for Cedric Jones, although it took Amani more than a few years to blossom. They followed that up with Roman Oben and Danny Kannell and a few others who didn't contribute at all. Over all this 1996 draft was a stinker. Jmike calls that draft the turning point for our front office. They realized how ill prepared they were and went about getting it right.................They've gotten it right.[/quote]

The story was that the Giants were sure that at least one of the guys drafted in the top 4 would be available for them and were not prepared when none of them were. Hard to imagine that they hadn't planned for that possibility, but that's what allegedly happened . . . . .

cedric jones hands down, no questions asked...

+ Reply to Thread