+ Reply to Thread

Another Defensive End?

The more I think about, the more I think the Giants will take another defensive end in the first round (or possibly the second). I know it seems like they have more than enough, but for a team that follows the philosophy "You can never have enough pass rushers," their supply is dwindling dangerously low. Take a look at who the Giants have:

Jason-Pierre Paul: Hopefully will be terrorizing quarterbacks and wearing blue for a decade or more
    Justin Tuck: A great player when he plays but has been somewhat inconsistent. Played great in 2008 and 2010, but not so well in 2009 and struggled with injuries in 2011. At age 29, he may only have a few more good years left.
    Osi Umenyora: The longest tenured Giant, he has just one year left on his contract and it's widely believed that 2012 will be his last year on the team.
    Mathias Kiwinuka: Not a pure defensive end anymore. Plays more of a hybrid defensive end/linebacker position now.
    Dave Tollefson: Just signed a free agent contract with the Raiders.

If Osi leaves, that could mean that after the 2012 season, we'll only have 2 pure defensive ends one of whom is 30 and hybrid DE/LB. That might not be enough.

Veteran

Re: Another Defensive End?

I honestly fully expect this to happen. Osi is clearly gone after this year if not before the season starts via trade. As you said, Tuck is getting old and Kiwi is a LB now. I like Perry or Mercilus at 32.

[quote user="Giants10Joe"]The more I think about, the more I think the Giants will take another defensive end in the first round (or possibly the second). I know it seems like they have more than enough, but for a team that follows the philosophy "You can never have enough pass rushers," their supply is dwindling dangerously low. Take a look at who the Giants have:

Jason-Pierre Paul: Hopefully will be terrorizing quarterbacks and wearing blue for a decade or more
    Justin Tuck: A great player when he plays but has been somewhat inconsistent. Played great in 2008 and 2010, but not so well in 2009 and struggled with injuries in 2011. At age 29, he may only have a few more good years left.
    Osi Umenyora: The longest tenured Giant, he has just one year left on his contract and it's widely believed that 2012 will be his last year on the team.
    Mathias Kiwinuka: Not a pure defensive end anymore. Plays more of a hybrid defensive end/linebacker position now.
    Dave Tollefson: Just signed a free agent contract with the Raiders.

If Osi leaves, that could mean that after the 2012 season, we'll only have 2 pure defensive ends one of whom is 30 and hybrid DE/LB. That might not be enough.
    [/quote]The whole "can never have enough pas rushers" philosophy has won them 2 superbowls. Lets do it.

If we go DE I want Perry or Branch. those guys are beasts.

You never know, but good DE's are hard to come by!

If I was looking purely at need, I would say no. But the fact is this is a very strong defensive line class and we may end up taking a DE purely on value.

Mercilus, Curry, Perry, Chandler Jones, and a TON of other names in the middle-later rounds would be excellent this year.

This years draft is chock full of DE's, DT's, OL, CB's and WR's. Soooo much talent in those positions after the 1st few rounds
    Round1: AA-Ron Donald, DT, Pitt
    Round2: Kareem Martin, UNC, DE
    Round3: Austin Seferian-Jenkins, TE, Washington
    Round4: Travis Swanson, C, Arkansas
    Round5: Cyril Richardson, OG, Baylor
    Round5: Brandon Coleman, WR, Rutgers