+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION

DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION

"Though New Orleans Saints
    quarterback Drew Brees largely
    sidestepped questions about his team's "bounty" scandal on Tuesday, the reigning
    NFL Offensive Player of the Year said he maintained his team had been improperly
    punished.

Speaking at a press conference for his golf tournament in Carlsbad, Calif.,
    Brees said a distinction needed to be made between "pay for performance" and a
    reward system for injuring players.</p>

</p><div id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_622" class="articleText">

"I would say what we've been accused of in regards to pay for injury is not
    the case," Brees said.</p>

Brees also explained that when he tweeted "looking for an explanation" after
    NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the team's penalties, he was only
    questioning the season-long suspension to coach Sean Payton.</p>

"I was talking about my head coach. I wasn't referring to anybody else," said
    Brees, who also told reporters he had yet to receive an explanation for Payton's
    punishment.</p>

Brees added that the audio of former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg
    Williams <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_852" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=%2009000d5d82819b3a" target="new">encouraging his
    players to injure specific players</a> on the San Francisco 49ers before a
    playoff game "was hard for everybody to hear."</p>

Asked if "bounty" systems were prevalent in the NFL, Brees said he thought
    defensive players are aggressive by nature.</p>

"I know this -- when a guy has an opportunity to take a shot at the
    quarterback, he's going to take it," Brees said. "I'm not saying he's trying to
    end a career or give you a concussion. But between the knees and the neck, he's
    trying to take you out every time. That's just football -- we play a violent
    game."</p>

Since Goodell announced Wednesday he upheld the penalties against the Saints,
    Brees had not heard of any possible replacements for Payton this season. With
    Bill Parcells electing to remain retired, the Saints will <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_854" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8283385f" target="new">promote from
    within the organization</a> for an interim coach, a league source told NFL
    Network insider Jason La Canfora.</p>

In addition to Payton's suspension, assistant head coach Joe Vitt has been
    suspended six games and general manager Mickey Loomis has been suspended for
    eight games. Williams has not appealed his indefinite suspension."</p></div>
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Veteran

Re: DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION

Here's an explanation Drew. He sat around and did nothing when Williams was doing it.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION

sidestepped questions about his team's "bounty" scandal on Tuesday, the reigning
    NFL Offensive Player of the Year said he maintained his team had been improperly
    punished.

Brees, who also told reporters he had yet to receive an explanation for Payton's
    punishment.</p>

Williams <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_852" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=%2009000d5d82819b3a" target="new">encouraging his

game."</p>

Bill Parcells electing to remain retired, the Saints will <a id="yui_3_4_1_2_1334097539531_854" href="http://www.nfl.com/goto?id=09000d5d8283385f" target="new">promote from

[/quote]

It is possible Brees hasn't listened to Williams tape?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Cmon, Goodell...."The Brees has spoken"!

Veteran

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION

punished.

punishment.</p>

game."</p>

[/quote]

[/quote]He claims he heard it, maybe he just doesn't know what an ACL is. You don't tell somebody to take out a players ACL and expect it to be taken as anything other then you want them to hurt the player. It is like telling someone to shoot another in the head and then claim you didn't expect him to think I wanted him dead.

[quote user="WR4Life"]Here's an explanation Drew. He sat around and did nothing when Williams was doing it.[/quote]

That really is what it boils down to. It has been widely reported that there were repeated inquiries and warnings from the NFL none of which resulted in the Saints stopping the activity. The Head Coach is where the buck is supposed to stop. Not only didn't it stop, it seems to have escalated as the warnings were being given. If Payton didn't know Williams continued the bounty program he didn't want to know. This is the result

[quote user="titwio"]Cmon, Goodell...."The Brees has spoken"![/quote]

And for his second act, he'll now hold out for a better contract lol

[quote user="jmike"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="RoanokeFan"]DREW BREES SAYS HE WANTS AN EXPLANATION FOR PAYTON'S SUSPENSION

punished.

punishment.</p>

game."</p>

[/quote]

[/quote]He claims he heard it, maybe he just doesn't know what an ACL is. You don't tell somebody to take out a players ACL and expect it to be taken as anything other then you want them to hurt the player. It is like telling someone to shoot another in the head and then claim you didn't expect him to think I wanted him dead.
    [/quote]

Well said!

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="titwio"]Cmon, Goodell...."The Brees has spoken"![/quote]

And for his second act, he'll now hold out for a better contract* lol
    [/quote]

I'd be very surprised if Brees himself forgot about his own contract amidst all this bounty scandal with the Saints.

I won't put that on him. He's very thorough on the field and probably off the field too. It's probably the Saints organization having no time for contract talks now because of the bounty scandal and having to deal with the aftermath.

I used to love Brees, but he was annoying during the lockout, then when this whole bounty thing started he couldn't come out and deny knoledge of it fast enough . . . .and now he's demanding an explanation from Goodell . . . . .just play football dude</P>

It's hard to imagine that such a self-trumpeted leader had no idea that the bounties were happening on "his" team . . . . .</P>

</P>