+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: No Madden Curse for Cruz.

[quote user="jparmer"][quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="Giants Of New Jersey"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="NYgiants141"]I still laugh at the posters who actually seriously believe in this curse.
    [/quote]

I laugh at all the posters that ignore madden history[/quote]

The year fitzgerald was on it with troy polamalu, fitz had a great year. Drew Brees threw for over 4,000 yards the year he was on it. They got knocked out in the playoffs, but that has nothing to do with a madden curse.[/quote]

The year Fitz was on with troy Polamalu, Troy didn't make it through the season.

Drew Brees threw twice as many interceptions than he did the previous year. They are the only team to lose to a 7-9 team in the playoffs, now stricken with bounty gate and Brees won't sign his franchise tender.

None of that counts? Who says u get to make the rules of the madden curse.[/quote]
    Take a quick look at Drew Bree's int rate it goes up and down,

2011 - 14
    2010 - 22
    2009 - 11 (in 15 games)
    2008 - 18
    2007 - 17

22 isn't that big of an anomaly compared to 18, & 17. Especially considered he had over 100 more attempts in 2010, compared to 2009

So qb is all over the field, Last I checked nfl is a team sport, so his TEAM lost in the playoffs.[/quote]

Like I said some guys are effected more than others. I think you are splitting hairs trying to say 22ints isn't that much more than 17 or 18. That's four or five picks, each one is a potentially game changing play.

Out of 15 madden covers if we were to say Brees escaped (not counting fitz because of troy). That's 1-15 covers. That's not a very good argument for there not being a curse. And I'm still waiting on someone to explain to me why no other sports videogame has any hype about a curse if it's just a fluke.[/quote]

Barry Sanders retired, so thats not much of a curse, no one ever says Barry Sanders retired because of the Madden Cover

So can we move it up to 2.5 [/quote]

Barry Sanders retiring in his prime about to break all time rushing records. Eh. Honestly we could make a case for that counting.

Either way there is way more negatives than positives. Your still hanging on to very little evidence. Haha[/quote]
    Barry Sanders stated he didn't want to break the record, because it was held by his hero...

And if the madden curse was real shouldn't it work 100% of the time.

Also a lot of the players were rb's, Runningbacks get injured a lot, easily, and don't have very long careers...[/quote]

Qb-vick - injured
    Lb-lewis - injured
    Qb-McNabb - injured
    S-polamalu - injured

Like I said a case can be made for a player from each cover. U are trying to justify Brees's past int's but the bottom line is he threw twice what he did the year before the cover. If that's not a severe production problem what is? Barry Sanders retired in his prime at the top of his game. How many players of his elite status in history have done that?

If none of that makes any sense I'd still go with odds and the odds are drastically against every player that takes the cover.

And again the question u and everyone else keeps avoiding, why no other cover players from any other sport are effected in any way?[/quote]
    Because, the point of football is to tackle each other?

EA puts bounties on players who make the cover, dun dun dun :O

[quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="IamGiantsfan"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="Giants Of New Jersey"][quote user="jparmer"][quote user="NYgiants141"]I still laugh at the posters who actually seriously believe in this curse.
    [/quote]

I laugh at all the posters that ignore madden history[/quote]

The year fitzgerald was on it with troy polamalu, fitz had a great year. Drew Brees threw for over 4,000 yards the year he was on it. They got knocked out in the playoffs, but that has nothing to do with a madden curse.[/quote]

The year Fitz was on with troy Polamalu, Troy didn't make it through the season.

Drew Brees threw twice as many interceptions than he did the previous year. They are the only team to lose to a 7-9 team in the playoffs, now stricken with bounty gate and Brees won't sign his franchise tender.

None of that counts? Who says u get to make the rules of the madden curse.[/quote]
    Take a quick look at Drew Bree's int rate it goes up and down,

2011 - 14
    2010 - 22
    2009 - 11 (in 15 games)
    2008 - 18
    2007 - 17

22 isn't that big of an anomaly compared to 18, & 17. Especially considered he had over 100 more attempts in 2010, compared to 2009

So qb is all over the field, Last I checked nfl is a team sport, so his TEAM lost in the playoffs.[/quote]

Like I said some guys are effected more than others. I think you are splitting hairs trying to say 22ints isn't that much more than 17 or 18. That's four or five picks, each one is a potentially game changing play.

Out of 15 madden covers if we were to say Brees escaped (not counting fitz because of troy). That's 1-15 covers. That's not a very good argument for there not being a curse. And I'm still waiting on someone to explain to me why no other sports videogame has any hype about a curse if it's just a fluke.[/quote]

Barry Sanders retired, so thats not much of a curse, no one ever says Barry Sanders retired because of the Madden Cover

So can we move it up to 2.5 [/quote]

Barry Sanders retiring in his prime about to break all time rushing records. Eh. Honestly we could make a case for that counting.

Either way there is way more negatives than positives. Your still hanging on to very little evidence. Haha[/quote]
    Barry Sanders stated he didn't want to break the record, because it was held by his hero...

And if the madden curse was real shouldn't it work 100% of the time.

Also a lot of the players were rb's, Runningbacks get injured a lot, easily, and don't have very long careers...[/quote]

Qb-vick - injured
    Lb-lewis - injured
    Qb-McNabb - injured
    S-polamalu - injured

Like I said a case can be made for a player from each cover. U are trying to justify Brees's past int's but the bottom line is he threw twice what he did the year before the cover. If that's not a severe production problem what is? Barry Sanders retired in his prime at the top of his game. How many players of his elite status in history have done that?

If none of that makes any sense I'd still go with odds and the odds are drastically against every player that takes the cover.

And again the question u and everyone else keeps avoiding, why no other cover players from any other sport are effected in any way?[/quote]
    Because, the point of football is to tackle each other?

EA puts bounties on players who make the cover, dun dun dun :O[/quote]

College football players are just as likely to get hurt as nflers. Hockey players get checked and beat up just as much as well. There are injuries in every professional sports, there are EA cover men in every sport but madden is the only one with a "curse".

For all you curse believers out there, can anyone tell me how many chickens John Madden has to sacrifice to the voodoo god's that ruins the people who are on his game cover? There is a guy on the golf course pissing me off, and I'd love to put a curse on him. What you think? Four chickens? Eight? Can I replace chickens with eggs? Does it matter? I mean a chicken is a chicken right?

I wonder why John does it. Pissed that he isn't on the cover maybe? I mean it is HIS game, I'd be pissed off to I guess.

Lol. Not sure what the rate is these days. I'd imagine with the rising cost of gas, inflation on chicken sacrifice would have increased as well

[quote user="jparmer"]Out of 15 madden covers if we were to say Brees escaped (not counting fitz because of troy). That's 1-15 covers. That's not a very good argument for there not being a curse. And I'm still waiting on someone to explain to me why no other sports videogame has any hype about a curse if it's just a fluke.[/quote]
    Ok, using the same meagre curse qualification guidelines as Madden, I checked a few NBA Live covers to see if there was any evidence of a "curse", and what do you know -

NBA Live 10: Pau Gasol (hamstring), Dwight Howard (shoulder), Luol Deng (stress fractures)

NBA Live 09: Pau Gasol (ankle), Luol Deng (Achilles), Andrea Bargnani (safe), Tony Parker (ankle)

NBA Live 08: Gilbert Arenas (knee), Dirk Nowitzki (ankle & knee), Tony Parker (ankle), Boris Diaw (safe), Andrea Bargnani (knee)

NBA Live 07: Tracy Mcgrady (back spasms), Dirk Nowitzki (ankle), Tony Parker (finger), Pau Gasol (foot), Boris Diaw (safe)

That's a pretty decent strike rate from only a few covers. There are more but I can't be bothered checking.

Why is Madden the only one to receive hype? Maybe because it's EA's flagship sports title and football is the biggest sport in the US?

In sport, people get injured whether they're on the cover of a popular video game or not.

There is no such thing as a curse.

[quote user="Flip Empty"][quote user="jparmer"]Out of 15 madden covers if we were to say Brees escaped (not counting fitz because of troy). That's 1-15 covers. That's not a very good argument for there not being a curse. And I'm still waiting on someone to explain to me why no other sports videogame has any hype about a curse if it's just a fluke.[/quote]
    Ok, using the same meagre curse qualification guidelines as Madden, I checked a few NBA Live covers to see if there was any evidence of a "curse", and what do you know -

NBA Live 10: Pau Gasol (hamstring), Dwight Howard (shoulder), Luol Deng (stress fractures)

NBA Live 09: Pau Gasol (ankle), Luol Deng (Achilles), Andrea Bargnani (safe), Tony Parker (ankle)

NBA Live 08: Gilbert Arenas (knee), Dirk Nowitzki (ankle & knee), Tony Parker (ankle), Boris Diaw (safe), Andrea Bargnani (knee)

NBA Live 07: Tracy Mcgrady (back spasms), Dirk Nowitzki (ankle), Tony Parker (finger), Pau Gasol (foot), Boris Diaw (safe)

That's a pretty decent strike rate from only a few covers. There are more but I can't be bothered checking.

Why is Madden the only one to receive hype? Maybe because it's EA's flagship sports title and football is the biggest sport in the US?

In sport, people get injured whether they're on the cover of a popular video game or not.

There is no such thing as a curse.[/quote]

I'm gonna cut this down to the USA release.

Dwight Howard? Quite laughable honestly, I don't know if u just did a random search or what but he injured his shoulder in the first half of a game and was back in the second half. He had arguably one of his best seasons that year as well.

Tony Parker. Played 72 games, basically the equivalent of missing 2 nfl games. He had his best year for assists per game and points per game.

Arenas, pretty bad year

Mcgrady played in 71 games and didn't have a bad statistical year.

Athletes get injuries, productions are inconsistent. U either believe there is something to the madden curse or u don't. It's obvious what each of us thinks. I'm tired of arguing about it. We'll all just have to agree to disagree

Starter

[quote user="Bing Crosby"]For all you curse believers out there, can anyone tell me how many chickens John Madden has to sacrifice to the voodoo god's that ruins the people who are on his game cover? There is a guy on the golf course pissing me off, and I'd love to put a curse on him. What you think? Four chickens? Eight? Can I replace chickens with eggs? Does it matter? I mean a chicken is a chicken right?

I wonder why John does it. Pissed that he isn't on the cover maybe? I mean it is HIS game, I'd be pissed off to I guess.
    [/quote]

you dont have to sacrifice a chicken to place a curse on someone all you need is some of their personal possessions (say some hair, pictures work too) and the knowhow (secret), a sacrifice is made as an offering to a demon or spirit. O, o /red font

Maybe EA made Tiger Woods screw up his career by sleeping with every woman he came across.