+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronx NYC ......... Justin Gilbert "bandwagoneer"

Grade the last 5 first round picks.

Not including 2011 because there hasn't been sufficient time to evaluate but....From 2006-2010 how would you grade these guys based on draft value, play and potential?

(2006) 32nd overall -Mathias Kiwanuka

(2007) 20th overall -Aaron Ross

(2008) 31st overall -Kenny Phillips

(2009) 29th overall -Hakeem Nicks

(2010) 15th overall -Jason Pierre-Paul

Veteran

Re: Grade the last 5 first round picks.

Kiwanuka - B-

Very solid role player who stepped in as a starter when Osi went down and did well. He's better as a 3rd DE or "joker" role as they say. Constant performer and seems to give it all.

Ross - C

Such a great rookie season and then marred by injuries and it seems like mental lapses. Strong comeback this year, although he does tend to get torched. Not sure if it's him or scheme at this point.

KP - B

Loved this pick. Had extremely high expectations for KP and maybe that was a bad thing. I didn't think he could hit like he used to (was it M. Moore from the Steelers he laid out?), but then this year with a big hit brought me back flashes. Defense currently asks him to do too much in my opinion, as he CONSTANTLY the last defender playing a high zone. Has played that role well, I'd like to see him freelance a bit more though.

Hakeem Nicks - A+. Not much to it, absolute beast. Top 5 receiver at this point, and I didn't like the pick personally. Only going to get better.

JPP - A+. Didn't like this pick either, but wow. Nonstop motor, still learning the game, and is producing at a high level. Top 5 at his position at this point as well.

[quote user="Itlan"]Kiwanuka - B- Very solid role player who stepped in as a starter when Osi went down and did well. He's better as a 3rd DE or "joker" role as they say. Constant performer and seems to give it all. Ross - C Such a great rookie season and then marred by injuries and it seems like mental lapses. Strong comeback this year, although he does tend to get torched. Not sure if it's him or scheme at this point. KP - B Loved this pick. Had extremely high expectations for KP and maybe that was a bad thing. I didn't think he could hit like he used to (was it M. Moore from the Steelers he laid out?), but then this year with a big hit brought me back flashes. Defense currently asks him to do too much in my opinion, as he CONSTANTLY the last defender playing a high zone. Has played that role well, I'd like to see him freelance a bit more though. Hakeem Nicks - A+. Not much to it, absolute beast. Top 5 receiver at this point, and I didn't like the pick personally. Only going to get better. JPP - A+. Didn't like this pick either, but wow. Nonstop motor, still learning the game, and is producing at a high level. Top 5 at his position at this point as well.[/quote]pretty much agree with you. I thought the rating on Ross was a bit generous but then remembered him during our run in 2007 where he played with great courage while banged up. I'll go with the C.
    No one remembers who came in second.

Starters.

JPP is starting to look like one of the better picks from last years draft, and Nicks from the year before. That doesn't happen very often.

[quote user="Itlan"]Kiwanuka - B-

Very solid role player who stepped in as a starter when Osi went down and did well. He's better as a 3rd DE or "joker" role as they say. Constant performer and seems to give it all.

Ross - C

Such a great rookie season and then marred by injuries and it seems like mental lapses. Strong comeback this year, although he does tend to get torched. Not sure if it's him or scheme at this point.

KP - B

Loved this pick. Had extremely high expectations for KP and maybe that was a bad thing. I didn't think he could hit like he used to (was it M. Moore from the Steelers he laid out?), but then this year with a big hit brought me back flashes. Defense currently asks him to do too much in my opinion, as he CONSTANTLY the last defender playing a high zone. Has played that role well, I'd like to see him freelance a bit more though.

Hakeem Nicks - A+. Not much to it, absolute beast. Top 5 receiver at this point, and I didn't like the pick personally. Only going to get better.

JPP - A+. Didn't like this pick either, but wow. Nonstop motor, still learning the game, and is producing at a high level. Top 5 at his position at this point as well.[/quote]

KIWINUKA- A uninjured, had several excellent plays as a lb vs the run. deflected a ball up for an int. has some sacks from the lb spot.
    oh, did i mention lb spot isnt even his position its de. when he plays as de he is almost always getting pressure. honestly watch the p;ays kiwii is playin dline,,,hes getting awesome jump and lloks like hes playing faster. hes done all of what we asked of him and then some.

ROSS-A- people were absolutely ready to bury the team bc ross was starting db. eveyone was saying how ****ty it was that tt got hurt and ross woul have to pl;ay. a few posters like me, were willing to give him some time, and he'd do awesome. so far, considering the expectations on ross his year has been unreal. several ints, pass defenses, has looked downright legit a bunch of games.

ross wasnt losing games for us. hed make a few tough penalties like that PI in sf, other than that he isnt getting burned or torched and hes done a good job. he hasnt been any loss of talnet from going to tt to ross. ross has proven he was worthy of a first round pick and id like to resign him.

JPP-A+- SECOND IN NFL IN TACKLES BY DE'S. 10 or more sacks, multiple pass defences defeded.swat unreal motor, a beast

Kenny Phillips-B he never lets anything behind him and think about how hardthat would be with the speed wr in the division...d, jackson, dez bryant, wasshington scrub....plus he is always involved when the play is in front of him.he always lays out a big hit to a receiver catching the ball ti vreaj ut yo.

Nicks-A- too many positives to write, great rappore with eli, he'd be an a plus but he ha injuries and also seems to disapper in games like he isnt the option hopefully he plays these nex4 all pro style bc he has that skill

(2006) 32nd overall -Mathias Kiwanuka C Has been injured often, and definitely hasn't produced like a first round pick.

(2007) 20th overall -Aaron Ross C Has also been injured often, and was horrible when he did play from 2009 up until week 3 of this season. He most likely won't be on the team after next season.

(2008) 31st overall -Kenny Phillips

C Has been a huge disappointment. He had a serious injury that made him miss all of 2009, and then was invisible all of 2010. And now it looks like the 2011 version is as good as he's going to get.

(2009) 29th overall -Hakeem Nicks A On pace for his 2 straight 1000 yard season. Should have made the pro bowl last year over Desean Jackson. Made Charles Woodsen look stupid last week.

(2010) 15th overall -Jason Pierre-Paul A He's the best defensive player on the team this year.

Kiwi - B - Good DE who has a bit of a injury history (not anyones fault). Does have potential to be a 10 sack max guy if he is starting at DE and not at LB like the giants are doing. Great for the 32nd pick.
    Ross - C - Not really worthy of a 1st. 3rd? Sure. Been dissaponting till this year and even then we will still look for him to depart via FA. Really the worst 1st rounder of the 5 here.
    KP - B- -Not a bad pick for 31st but needs to step it up. He hasnt been bad but we would of thought he could of been better then what he has been doing. Has potential to be a top 5 SS but is still below that. Injury history sucks as well. But for now he will be a solid safety for us for 5 or so years.
    Nicks - A - Currently the only thing holding me back to a A+ is his injuries. A big receiving year of 1,200+ yards hasnt happened and I expect when he does he should be a top 10 or even top 5 WR. Best Wr in the NFL is the max he can go.
    JPP - A+ - Really 10.5 sacks already in his 2nd year and he isnt a starter? wow he could be the best DE in the league. Has what it takes and I think its possible we could be looking at a guy on defense Giants fans will be talking about for a long time after he retires. 22 sacks in a season? JPP might be the one to break strahans record.

Veteran

[quote user="NYfanatic"]Kiwi - B - Good DE who has a bit of a injury history (not anyones fault). Does have potential to be a 10 sack max guy if he is starting at DE and not at LB like the giants are doing. Great for the 32nd pick.
    Ross - C - Not really worthy of a 1st. 3rd? Sure. Been dissaponting till this year and even then we will still look for him to depart via FA. Really the worst 1st rounder of the 5 here.
    KP - B- -Not a bad pick for 31st but needs to step it up. He hasnt been bad but we would of thought he could of been better then what he has been doing. Has potential to be a top 5 SS but is still below that. Injury history sucks as well. But for now he will be a solid safety for us for 5 or so years.
    Nicks - A - Currently the only thing holding me back to a A+ is his injuries. A big receiving year of 1,200+ yards hasnt happened and I expect when he does he should be a top 10 or even top 5 WR. Best Wr in the NFL is the max he can go.
    JPP - A+ - Really 10.5 sacks already in his 2nd year and he isnt a starter? wow he could be the best DE in the league. Has what it takes and I think its possible we could be looking at a guy on defense Giants fans will be talking about for a long time after he retires. 22 sacks in a season? JPP might be the one to break strahans record.
    [/quote]

Nicks is definitely an A+ he's only missed 6 of 44 games and 2 were in his rookie year. He is a top 10 WR in the league talent wise and that is why Cruz is dominating this year. Without Nicks we might be a 4 win team.

the really good thing about these picks is that they are all still on the team.....