+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dequan Menzie

All-Pro

Re: Dequan Menzie

There was a quote from Fewell when Tryon got hurt saying that Tryon didnt have the size that they typically like, but he still played well.

Size is absolutely factored in.

Menzie isnt the athlete he was prior to his Achillies tear.

Its too bad because he once had a bright future. But, his injury was pretty severe. He will likely not get his sped back and without it, he isnt an NFL corner. Luckily for him he is a heady player too who might just work out well at the safety position.

[quote user="Neverend"]Marvin Austin is only 6'1 and has 32 inch arms.

Not terrible, obviously, but I'm getting tired of the over generalizations people make about the giants not drafting a prospect b/ of size/speed/strength factor. Maybe they value them less, but dont think they'll just remove a corner off their board because he's about a half inch less in height than what they value in corners[/quote]In this particular case he was talking about Menzies lack of speed

I was under the impression he was 5'10, but I was always aware he was slower.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"][quote user="Neverend"]Marvin Austin is only 6'1 and has 32 inch arms.

Not terrible, obviously, but I'm getting tired of the over generalizations people make about the giants not drafting a prospect b/ of size/speed/strength factor. Maybe they value them less, but dont think they'll just remove a corner off their board because he's about a half inch less in height than what they value in corners[/quote]In this particular case he was talking about Menzies lack of speed[/quote]

Ah, I stand corrected

He is like 5'11 202lbs that's perfect size for a CB in this team or any other team for that matter

One of my favorite players in the draft. If you watch Alabama's defense you will see how good the guy is. I think he was a better football player than Dre Kirkpatrick even though Kirkpatrick is a better prospect in the NFL.

Menzie can do everything well. his biggest weakness is his lack of speed but he could still be a very good nickel CB in the NFL or possibly a safety. I thought he could do well in the Deon Grant role but I'm not sure how well he will hold up against the run when he gets blocked by NFL caliber OL (a concern for any CB).

[quote user="lawl"]For some reason I thought he was like 6'1"[/quote]

He was listed at 6'0 by Alabama

As already mentioned, Menzie is going to be a hell of a catch in this draft. He is a great tackler, great against the run and has great cover skills. Whoever made a comment about his injury doesn't know what he's talking about. He came in after his injury and instead of the expected redshirt, he was already playing significant time and looked like the best CB on Alabama's team (which means he's also extremely smart). His next year he beat out a 5 star that had previously been starting. Saban has praised him constantly and used him as an example of why the 40 is misleading, saying that he never saw Menzie get beat one time because of speed. He's a baller and I would be THRILLED to see him on our team.

As for why he was was projected as a safety. I'm sure his 40 time had something to do with it, but I'd guess it had more to do with his build. Dude is THICK and I don't mean fat. Everytime I have watched Alabama play, he has stood out to me.

As for when he'll go. I think every mock draft I have done I have put him to the Giants in the 4th round.

[quote user="michaelkhan3"][quote user="lawl"]For some reason I thought he was like 6'1"[/quote]

He was listed at 6'0 by Alabama
    [/quote]

I think Alabama lets their players stand on their tippy toes when they get measured... or something. They're always way off.