+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: If Osi is traded for a 2nd and 5th

Pay him whatever he wants. After all, he did whine to the press. If not, he will hold his breath till he turns blue, which may may not be the same shade as the Nike blue.

[quote user="FBomb"]Can you imagine the outcry if Reese lets him go for LESS than a 2nd rounder?[/quote]

I've bought more popcorn for that eventuality.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]As much as I like the excitement of trades and getting new players through the draft, I can't help but think that Osi is most valuable to us playing out his contract here, and then getting whatever compensatory future picks for him signing big elsewhere.

And I wouldn't consider myself a loyal Osi fan or an Osi hater. Giants fan only.
    [/quote]

exactly, these are the type of scenarios you live for as a team ... you have a very talented pass rusher in his contract year and, let's face it, it will likely be Osi's last contract

so he goes out this year and plays his butt off in search of one last lucrative deal

and if we happen to get some compensatory pick when he signs elsewhere ... well there is the cherry on the sundae

better yet, a player we have or we draft steps up and starts to show signs of being that 3rd DE in the rotation and within 2 years our 3rd DE is more productive than Osi, whose now getting paid far more than his contributions by some other team ... this is part of our formula ... but this year with Osi is a no-brainer ... let him get 10+ sacks and force 5+ fumbles in Blue

[quote user="Toadofsteel"][quote user="Bigbluefan1974"]People here that think Osi isn't worth more than a 4th rounder are clueless. Tell me what 4th rounder in this years draft is going to give you roughly 13 sacks and I will agree that is all hes worth.
    [/quote]

Osi only has 2, maybe 3 years left in the tank. I'd say about 10 sacks a year average (30 total). With the way JR drafts, a 4th rounder DE could give us that over a decade. We need youth.

That said, I'm in favor of just giving Osi a little extra this season (given the cap room), letting him play out the season, and letting his contract expire. If he signs with another team, we get a comp pick anyway...[/quote]

Fact is you have no idea how much Osi has in the tank. Osi doesn't want a little extra and to play out the season, he wants to start and get a new long term deal. The Giants can not give him that. And we don't automatically get a comp pick if he signs somewhere else. That is not how comp picks work. It works on a formula. Here is some reading for you on it.
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...ks-to-15-clubs

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="burier"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="burier"][quote user="Warchild"]we should then should try to trade down and pick up a second in next years draft...[/quote] What makes you think anybody is giving us a second for Osi?[/quote]

Probably wouldn't get any more than a 3rd.* But we would free up $4MM plus in cap room.

[/quote] I don't think its realistic to expect anything better than a 4th and for that I don't think its worth trading him. If I were JR I'd give him a little boost this year to keep him happy...and then let him go on his merry way.[/quote]

I think the cap room is as important or even more important that the compensation.

After all, he IS a back-up.

[/quote]

Yeah I hear you on the cap room. I'd actually take a 3rd for him but anything worse than that seems like a traderape.

He can still play. And our defense doesn't work if the pass rush isn't insane so. I don't know.

I find it funny though that people think that Osi can get a 2nd when he couldnt get a 2nd last season.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.

burier "I find it funny though that people think that Osi can get a 2nd when he couldnt get a 2nd last season."
    That was before the season. He proved he is worth a 2nd easily last year. A sack a game, game changing strips, and a vital part of the run to the Super Bowl. So you're telling me another team wouldn't give up a second for that production over the next 4 years? I think your way off.

[quote user="Bigbluefan1974"]burier "I find it funny though that people think that Osi can get a 2nd when he couldnt get a 2nd last season."
    That was before the season.* He proved he is worth a 2nd easily last year.* A sack a game, game changing strips, and a vital part of the run to the Super Bowl.* So you're telling me another team wouldn't give up a second for that production over the next 4 years?* I think your way off.
    [/quote]

Houston only got a 4th rounder for DeMeco Ryans. He only played 9 games. What any other team will say is he's an often injured 31 year old DE. I think he's worth more on the field than in a trade.

The only team desperate enough to trade a second round pick probably thinks they're one pass rusher away from contending for a SB, somebody like N.O. I can't see us making the Saints or a team of this caliber better when we are a strong candidate to repeat.

If we can get a 2nd rounder do it, if not keep him.
    In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]As much as I like the excitement of trades and getting new players through the draft, I can't help but think that Osi is most valuable to us playing out his contract here, and then getting whatever compensatory future picks for him signing big elsewhere.

And I wouldn't consider myself a loyal Osi fan or an Osi hater. Giants fan only.
    [/quote]

+1

[quote user="Bigbluefan1974"]People here that think Osi isn't worth more than a 4th rounder are clueless. Tell me what 4th rounder in this years draft is going to give you roughly 13 sacks and I will agree that is all hes worth.
    [/quote]

Why do so many people completely ignore the financial aspect of trading Osi?

The main reason why a team probably won't give up a second rounder for Osi, is not because Osi's talent isn't at least equivalent to the talent of a second rounder. It's because Osi is 30 years old, is in the last year of his current deal (which he is unhappy with) and wants big money. Thus, the team trading for Osi is not only getting his talent, but isgetting a lot of financial baggage too. They have to either sign a 30 year old, oft-injuredplayerto a big deal, or insist that he play out his current deal, in which case he'll whine like he did here, and then leave after one year.

If you trade Osi, the team that trades for him will also have to probably sign him to a new contract because they're is no way in hell a team will trade a second round pick or whatever, for one year.

I'm sure there are teams that would be willing to trade for him but how much is he asking for and at his age, is he asking for too much.