+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Ben Roethlisberger An Elite Quarterback ?

Re: Is Ben Roethlisberger An Elite Quarterback ?

[quote user="Slunk3AM"]My Top 10 entering into next season would be: 1) Aaron Rodgers 2) Tom Brady 3) Drew Brees 4) Eli Manning 5) Tony Romo 6) Matthew Stafford 7) Philip Rivers 8) Ben Roethlisberger 9) Matt Schaub 10) Peyton Manning (only putting him here because I'm not sure what he's gonna look like after his surgery - but I'm pretty sure he'll still be somewhere on this list)[/quote]</P>

lol . . . romo ahead of stafford, rivers, ben and peyton</P>

[quote user="flamethrower"]Well he threw for over 5,000 yards last season. And for the First time in ages the Lions made the Playoffs. He is on there more for what he "Potentially" can do. Rather than what he has done. And Only Marino, Breez, and Stanton can say that they threw for over 5,000 yards in a season.
    [/quote]

Eli was only 67 yards shy of making that club (and had 1,219 more in the playoffs for a total of 6,152 yards). That's got to be a record for combined regular season + playoffs.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="flamethrower"]Well he threw for over 5,000 yards last season. And for the First time in ages the Lions made the Playoffs. He is on there more for what he "Potentially" can do. Rather than what he has done. And Only Marino, Breez, and Stanton can say that they threw for over 5,000 yards in a season.
    [/quote]

Eli was only 67 yards shy of making that club (and had 1,219 more in the playoffs for a total of 6,152 yards). That's got to be a record for combined regular season + playoffs.
    [/quote]

It certainly has to be up there, but Brees beat him this year with 6,304 yards passing in two less games.

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="flamethrower"]Well he threw for over 5,000 yards last season. And for the First time in ages the Lions made the Playoffs. He is on there more for what he "Potentially" can do. Rather than what he has done. And Only Marino, Breez, and Stanton can say that they threw for over 5,000 yards in a season.
    [/quote]

Eli was only 67 yards shy of making that club (and had 1,219 more in the playoffs for a total of 6,152 yards).* That's got to be a record for combined regular season + playoffs.
    [/quote]

It certainly has to be up there, but Brees beat him this year with 6,304 yards passing in two less games.
    [/quote]

How many more games did Drew Brees play in a dome is something to consider also.

[quote user="buffyblue"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="flamethrower"]Well he threw for over 5,000 yards last season. And for the First time in ages the Lions made the Playoffs. He is on there more for what he "Potentially" can do. Rather than what he has done. And Only Marino, Breez, and Stanton can say that they threw for over 5,000 yards in a season.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

How many more games did Drew Brees play in a dome is something to consider also.[/quote]

That's a point a lot of people bring up when talking about Brees, and I think it's pretty valid. Brees didn't have to endure any harsh conditions this year. If he wasn't in a dome, he was in fair weather. And typically the Saints play poorly in harsh conditions-- they're very Jekyl and Hyde when it comes to home vs away games. So I can understand the idea that Brees drops off when not in a dome setting.

I'm not a fan of the Saints or Brees, so I can't say for sure if Brees is awful in harsh conditions. But a quick glance of last season would indicate that his play did not suffer when he was outdoors. (But as I mentioned earlier, the outdoor games he played in this year were in pretty good weather).

And on the other side of things, Eli's numbers didn't get miraculously better when he was indoors either.

Basically, both QBs played consistently whether it was indoors or outdoors. The only real variable that altered their numbers was the strength of the opposing defense.

Edit: I think Brees gets a lot of criticism for playing indoors because he's the only elite QB to do so, other than Peyton Manning (disregarding whether or not he'll return to form next season--another topic for another time), and that includes the occasional criticism from me as well. And Drew Brees automatically gets 9 indoor games every season since he'll always have the one in Atlanta each year. Only a handful of QBs have that luxury. (Ryan in ATL, Bradford in STL, Kolb in ARI, Stafford in DET, and whoever is QBing in Minnesota.)

But if it were so easy to succeed in such conditions, the Saints QBs would have been killing it for years now, and "top QB" Matt Ryan would be smashing the record books as well since he's in the same boat.

Starter

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="buffyblue"][quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="SweetZombieJesus"][quote user="flamethrower"]Well he threw for over 5,000 yards last season. And for the First time in ages the Lions made the Playoffs. He is on there more for what he "Potentially" can do. Rather than what he has done. And Only Marino, Breez, and Stanton can say that they threw for over 5,000 yards in a season.
    [/quote]

Eli was only 67 yards shy of making that club (and had 1,219 more in the playoffs for a total of 6,152 yards).* That's got to be a record for combined regular season + playoffs.
    [/quote]

[/quote]

How many more games did Drew Brees play in a dome is something to consider also.[/quote]

That's a point a lot of people bring up when talking about Brees, and I think it's pretty valid. Brees didn't have to endure any harsh conditions this year. If he wasn't in a dome, he was in fair weather. And typically the Saints play poorly in harsh conditions-- they're very Jekyl and Hyde when it comes to home vs away games. So I can understand the idea that Brees drops off when not in a dome setting.

I'm not a fan of the Saints or Brees, so I can't say for sure if Brees is awful in harsh conditions. But a quick glance of last season would indicate that his play did not suffer when he was outdoors. (But as I mentioned earlier, the outdoor games he played in this year were in pretty good weather).

And on the other side of things, Eli's numbers didn't get miraculously better when he was indoors either.

Basically, both QBs played consistently whether it was indoors or outdoors. The only real variable that altered their numbers was the strength of the opposing defense.

Edit: I think Brees gets a lot of criticism for playing indoors because he's the only elite QB to do so, other than Peyton Manning (disregarding whether or not he'll return to form next season--another topic for another time), and that includes the occasional criticism from me as well. And Drew Brees automatically gets 9 indoor games every season since he'll always have the one in Atlanta each year. Only a handful of QBs have that luxury. (Ryan in ATL, Bradford in STL, Kolb in ARI, Stafford in DET, and whoever is QBing in Minnesota.)

But if it were so easy to succeed in such conditions, the Saints QBs would have been killing it for years now, and "top QB" Matt Ryan would be smashing the record books as well since he's in the same boat.

[/quote]

Very good points but don't the Saints also supplement their running game with short RB and WR screens a lot. I know the Lions did it like crazy last season and like you mentioned they played in a dome as well.

A lot of Bree's numbers comes from the fact that he is in offense that doesn't stop, even after the opposing defense has just given up. When they played us and our defense just gave up they kept scoring, and he kept throwing. If i remember right he had 510 that game. They pull bull**** like that all the time.

[quote user="Bing Crosby"]A lot of Bree's numbers comes from the fact that he is in offense that doesn't stop, even after the opposing defense has just given up. When they played us and our defense just gave up they kept scoring, and he kept throwing. If i remember right he had 510 that game. They pull bull**** like that all the time.
    [/quote]</P>

That's the game plan, what do you expect, just man up and stop him and stop whining.</P>
    Forget the Past, Live for the Future!

[quote user="greenca190"]He has had one of the worst offensive lines around him in his tenure in the league and he has still been to three super bowls. When I look at him, I think that he is as much a Steeler as guys like Hines Ward and Jerome Bettis ever were. Who cares if he is an elite quarterback, he is the right guy for that team.[/quote]

2005 he had an all pro offensive line.

in 2008 it was average

now its actually bad.

but he has not had a bad offensive line his entire time in the league.

Bench Player

The guy won 2 superbowls and beem in three .
    The 2nd one he won in dramatic fashion
    Of course he is elite .

+ Reply to Thread