+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Re: Is Ben Roethlisberger An Elite Quarterback ?

[quote user="Ntegrase96"][quote user="scoopscj"]I don't ever get caught up in the whole, 'QB rankings thing' but I'd still like to add my 2 cents on Romo.

There is one quality that has always bugged me about him.* He wants to be a star, the center of attention and he doesn't hate losing as much as he enjoys winning.*

Let me try to explain that last part.* If Eli, Rogers, Aikmen, Marino, Elway, Peyton, Young, Stabauch, etc miss a very important pass, they don't go to the sidelines smiling.*

You go back and watch the 2007 NFC divisional round and there were times when Romo missed passes and he is laughing, smiling even.* Like, 'Hey, it's no big deal."* He also was smiling when he must missed Miles Austin on the now famous, "caught in the lights 3rd down pass play' that could have ended the Giant's season.*** Romo loves winning but he doesn't hate losing.*

Eli and the rest of the QB's I mentioned hate losing.* HATE IT.* You want to be successful in the NFL you have to hate losing.*

Scoops

My 2 cents anyway.
    [/quote]

I don't know about that. As someone that lives in DFW and hears all the interviews with Cowboys quarterbacks past and present, I can tell you that all of them absolutely dread the week after a loss. I don't think Romo is any exception.

But I mean, you have a point. You don't see him angry often and that can be interpreted as Romo not being bothered by losing. I can see how that annoys people. But as far as body language goes, I don't really see much of a difference between Eli and Romo.

I don't recall Romo smiling after Austin didn't catch the ball, but I wouldn't doubt that there were times that Romo had a smile on his face during the divisional game in 2007. But two things about that.

1. There are times when Romo smiling means the opposite of what it looks like. And as a fan of the Cowboys it's a very noticeable difference from when he's having fun and when he's frustrated.

and 2. That was 2007. Over 4 years ago and the first full year in which Romo was the starter. This also applies to the 'he wants to be a star' aspect-- the man is married now and just had a baby boy. The days of Jessica Simpson and making appearances at the Country Music Awards have been over for a while now.

I'd say overall your description of Romo would be fair if this were early 2008, but I just don't see these traits anymore. That's not to say that Romo has risen above all his criticisms, but he's certainly taken steps toward it.
    [/quote]
    Romo is a poor man's Danny White. He puts up great numbers but finds a way to miraculously lose the game. I have never seen anything like it. Cowboys fans constantly throw statistics at me. I always say Romo is the only QB I know that can throw 80% and have 400 yards and 3 TD's, and somehow his defense messes up. He has the ball in his hand for the final drive and he will make a critical mistake, whether it be int, fumble, throwing the ball beyond the line of scrimmage, running out of bounds too short of a first down, bobbling a snap on a sure field goal, what have you. You name me all the ways a QB can lose a game and Romo has done it. He is the anti-clutch. Romo can win, but he finds a way to lose when it matters. It's funny to watch as a Giants fan, but at the same time it is a big head scratcher. I don't even hate Romo anymore. I feel kind of bad for him. I'd probably cheer for him to win something if he played for a team that wasn't in the NFC East or the Jets. It's amazing the stupid stuff he does in crunch time.

I'd say maybe... He's been blessed with fantastic recievers and oline play in the past. He's also strong as a bull, however he has choked significantly in big games (stats wise) but Elite? You can make a case either or.

Starter

[quote user="Drez"][quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="Bumm"]1. Breese
    2, Brady
    3. Rogers
    4. Ben
    5. Peyton
    6. Eli

Ben does more with less, Better over all stats than Eli. Beat an elite Colts team with Peyton in their house during 2005 playoffs.[/quote]

Ben did less with more you mean. They had the number 1 defense and number 1 rushing attack in 2005. His best play that game was tackling Nick Harper.

Ben is top ten because he manages to win games with a garbage OL. He has never carried that team.[/quote]
    I believe Ben has never made the playoffs if his defense is ranked under 5th in yards and/or points allowed.
    [/quote]

Ben also plays in Baltimore's division. Eli in the NFC East has had an easier path to the playoffs.

[quote user="Bumm"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="Bumm"]1. Breese
    2, Brady
    3. Rogers
    4. Ben
    5. Peyton
    6. Eli

Ben does more with less, Better over all stats than Eli. Beat an elite Colts team with Peyton in their house during 2005 playoffs.[/quote]

Ben did less with more you mean. They had the number 1 defense and number 1 rushing attack in 2005. His best play that game was tackling Nick Harper.

Ben is top ten because he manages to win games with a garbage OL. He has never carried that team.[/quote]
    I believe Ben has never made the playoffs if his defense is ranked under 5th in yards and/or points allowed.
    [/quote]

Ben also plays in Baltimore's division. Eli in the NFC East has had an easier path to the playoffs.[/quote]
    I don't understand why people say the NFC East is an easy division. Year in and year out people hype up the Eagles and the Cowboys. Then the Giants emerge. IMO, The NFC North, AFC North, and the NFC East are the best three divisions in football. The wildcards almost always come out of those divisions.

i like big ben..out of the 3 from '04 eli is best suited to play in ny..ben too much nightlife and rivers is a hot head..san diego would have been better off with ben at the helm instead of rivers..gmen liked ben better too

[quote user="Bumm"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="Bumm"]1. Breese
    2, Brady
    3. Rogers
    4. Ben
    5. Peyton
    6. Eli

[/quote]

Ben also plays in Baltimore's division. Eli in the NFC East has had an easier path to the playoffs.[/quote]
    You are still smoking that rock. The NFCE has consistently been one of the toughest divisions in football for years. The past two years have been the exception. IIRC, since Eli joined the Giants the NFCE has sent 3 teams to the playoffs twice and 2 teams an additional 4 times.

So, yeah, the Steelers have to play the Ravens twice, but that also means they get to play the Browns and Bengals twice. Give me a ****ing break. I'll take that trade off everyday and twice on Sundays to not have to play the Eagles and Cowboys twice a year and now an improving Redskins team.

Ignorant *** crackheads, I tell you.

Starter

[quote user="Drez"][quote user="Bumm"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="Bumm"]1. Breese
    2, Brady
    3. Rogers
    4. Ben
    5. Peyton
    6. Eli

[/quote]

You are still smoking that rock. The NFCE has consistently been one of the toughest divisions in football for years. The past two years have been the exception. IIRC, since Eli joined the Giants the NFCE has sent 3 teams to the playoffs twice and 2 teams an additional 4 times.

So, yeah, the Steelers have to play the Ravens twice, but that also means they get to play the Browns and Bengals twice. Give me a ****ing break. I'll take that trade off everyday and twice on Sundays to not have to play the Eagles and Cowboys twice a year and now an improving Redskins team.

[/quote]

Eagles, Redskins LOL, Cowboys most over hyped team in the league, not even in the Ravens class. Didn't Miami nearly beat them at home? Bengals were in the playoffs last season.

[quote user="Bumm"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="Bumm"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="Bumm"]1. Breese
    2, Brady
    3. Rogers
    4. Ben
    5. Peyton
    6. Eli

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eagles, Redskins LOL, Cowboys most over hyped team in the league, not even in the Ravens class. Didn't Miami nearly beat them at home? Bengals were in the playoffs last season.[/quote]
    Haven't the Bengals had a losing record in like 17 of the last 20 seasons? What about the Browns? Talk about a weak division.

Now run along there, l'il shaver. Class dismissed.

[quote user="Bumm"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="Bumm"][quote user="Drez"][quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="Bumm"]1. Breese
    2, Brady
    3. Rogers
    4. Ben
    5. Peyton
    6. Eli

[/quote]

[/quote]

Eagles, Redskins LOL, Cowboys most over hyped team in the league, not even in the Ravens class. Didn't Miami nearly beat them at home? Bengals were in the playoffs last season.[/quote]

the Cowboys are not the Browns.

the skins and bungles are comparable: they both have jeckel and hyde defenses every other year.

ravens and eagles are comparable.

the NFCE is better, but only slightly. AFCN just has the browns caking the division, like the bills and dolphins have done for the AFCE, or the raiders in the AFCW

If I were ranking the teams of the NFCE and AFCN over the last few years and not off of last year alone

Giants and Steelers: Push
    Ravens
    Eagles/Cowboys (kind of a toss up depending on the year)
    Redskins/Bengals: Push

Browns

I'd say the NFCE is a tougher division to come out on top because the 'checks and balances' each team seems to have over another-- IE: Giants sweep Cowboys, Cowboys Sweep Redskins, Redskins sweep Giants, Giants split with Philly who swept both Dallas and Washington-- 5 and 1 in the east-- but Philly fails to win the division?

And while there are 2 top teams in the AFCN, obviously Ben can only play against one because he's on the other. So the toughest divisional games he has are two games against Baltimore.

The AFCN is top heavy, but that doesn't make it a harder path for Ben than Eli has with the NFCE.

Eli is better. No. Doubt. About. It.