+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan's Defense

Ryan's Defense

How have we done vs rob or rex ryan run defenses? I remember getting beat in 2008 by the browns, not sure if ryan was there at that time or not. You tell me how have we/eli fared?

Veteran

Re: Ryan's Defense

[quote user="StraightXrs"]How have we done vs rob or rex ryan run defenses? I remember getting beat in 2008 by the browns, not sure if ryan was there at that time or not. You tell me how have we/eli fared?[/quote]

Robwas still with Oakland then. The Giants shredded Rex's Ravens defense in 2008 when they ran for over 200+ yards against the Ravens which is unheard of.

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

I do remember that ravens game. Interesting. Is rob as good as he's hyped up to be?

Veteran

[quote user="StraightXrs"]I do remember that ravens game. Interesting. Is rob as good as he's hyped up to be?[/quote]

Here's some insight I came up with:

http://boards.giants.com/forums/permalink/2366679/2366694/ShowThread.aspx#2366694

Over 5500 posts, advanced member, joined March 2002. 1st post (as anonymous) was the day after Super Bowl 35

[quote user="repeatchamps"]

[quote user="StraightXrs"]I do remember that ravens game. Interesting. Is rob as good as he's hyped up to be?[/quote]

The biggest concern for me actually is the fact that without question this will be the best defense they've faced this year save for the 49ers. With the Giants struggles on defense, they need the offense to put up points, this is not an easy defense to play against. Rob Ryan has for the most part done a solid job with this group all season long. I'm not a big stats guy but here's a brekadown:

Defensive rankings Dallas Cowboys:

Yards/game: 11th

Points/game: 10th

TD's against: Only 23 (Giants have given up 33)

Pass Defense Yards/game: 14th

Pass TD's Against: 12th

Sacks: 2nd only to Baltimore for the most

Plays over 40 Yards Passing: 4th fewest

Int's: 11th most

Rush Defense Yards/rush: 9th 4.2/carry

Rush Defense Yards/game: 9th 100.5

Rushing TD's: tied for 8th w/ 3 other teams which is behind 4 teams tied for 4th (only 7 given up, one behind 4th which is 6 given up)

Longest run against: 11th, just one for 40 yards

20 Yard Runs against: 5th least

Penalties against & Penalty Yards against (was a big issue for their defense in the past, not any more): 3rd, 1st lowest respectively

Time of Possession against 13th

Fumbles Forced: 11th with 16 but only have recovered 8 of them which is 22nd.

Most Exploitable:

Plays over 20 Yards Passing: 20th with 40 such plays given up: Ballard, Cruz, Nicks, Mario and even Barden must exploit this at opportune times by working that 20 - 40 yard area of the field like they have done so well all year

Yards/play: 16th at 5.5/play: Eli must be patient and work the underneath area with checkdowns to the backs & the TE's and then take his shots in that aforementined 20-40 yard range. The backs need to average around that 4.2/carry Dallas gives up when it is a running play.

Opposing Completion Percentage: 19th: It is given that Eli always needs to be sharp but he must maintain focus and be accurate and true with his throws which he most certainly has been more than not this season. Dallas seems to allow you to catch it but they must be limiting the YAC. We get some YAC from the guys catching the ball it will be a huge bonus as it always is.

I'll also mention that if we can coerce some bad penalties by playing firey and aggressive on offense and punching the defense in the mouth by being physical it's a bonus as Dallas just doesn't do the bad defensive penalty this season. Props to Rob Ryan for fixing what was a glaring issue but at the end of the day they still have several boneheaded, prima donna, smallish, unphysical softies on that side of the ball as in past seasons (can you say the lingering stench of Wade Phillips? lol) so this would be the time to coax that old undiscplined play out of them by frustrating them with physical offense.

[/quote]

Didnt you post this up already on another thread?

Veteran

[quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"]Didnt you post this up already on another thread?[/quote]

Yup. Should have just posted a link lol. Sorryabout that mods. Just corrected it.

[quote user="ELIistheFRANCHISE"][quote user="repeatchamps"]

The biggest concern for me actually is the fact that without question this will be the best defense they've faced this year save for the 49ers. With the Giants struggles on defense, they need the offense to put up points, this is not an easy defense to play against. Rob Ryan has for the most part done a solid job with this group all season long. I'm not a big stats guy but here's a brekadown:

Defensive rankings Dallas Cowboys:

Yards/game: 11th

Points/game: 10th

TD's against: Only 23 (Giants have given up 33)

Pass Defense Yards/game: 14th

Pass TD's Against: 12th

Sacks: 2nd only to Baltimore for the most

Plays over 40 Yards Passing: 4th fewest

Int's: 11th most

Rush Defense Yards/rush: 9th 4.2/carry

Rush Defense Yards/game: 9th 100.5

Rushing TD's: tied for 8th w/ 3 other teams which is behind 4 teams tied for 4th (only 7 given up, one behind 4th which is 6 given up)

Longest run against: 11th, just one for 40 yards

20 Yard Runs against: 5th least

Penalties against & Penalty Yards against (was a big issue for their defense in the past, not any more): 3rd, 1st lowest respectively

Time of Possession against 13th

Fumbles Forced: 11th with 16 but only have recovered 8 of them which is 22nd.

Most Exploitable:

Plays over 20 Yards Passing: 20th with 40 such plays given up: Ballard, Cruz, Nicks, Mario and even Barden must exploit this at opportune times by working that 20 - 40 yard area of the field like they have done so well all year

Yards/play: 16th at 5.5/play: Eli must be patient and work the underneath area with checkdowns to the backs & the TE's and then take his shots in that aforementined 20-40 yard range. The backs need to average around that 4.2/carry Dallas gives up when it is a running play.

Opposing Completion Percentage: 19th: It is given that Eli always needs to be sharp but he must maintain focus and be accurate and true with his throws which he most certainly has been more than not this season. Dallas seems to allow you to catch it but they must be limiting the YAC. We get some YAC from the guys catching the ball it will be a huge bonus as it always is.

I'll also mention that if we can coerce some bad penalties by playing firey and aggressive on offense and punching the defense in the mouth by being physical it's a bonus as Dallas just doesn't do the bad defensive penalty this season. Props to Rob Ryan for fixing what was a glaring issue but at the end of the day they still have several boneheaded, prima donna, smallish, unphysical softies on that side of the ball as in past seasons (can you say the lingering stench of Wade Phillips? lol) so this would be the time to coax that old undiscplined play out of them by frustrating them with physical offense.

[/quote]

Didnt you post this up already on another thread?[/quote]

Thanks for the post...whoever posted that was definitely doing their homework

Sounds like a lot of screens to Bradshaw and slants to Cruz and Ballard.

We should also look at that Eagles game against Dallas.

Ringing in the 2012 season!

If Eli stays locked on one or two guys, it'll be a long day for us. I love it when he really mixes it up, & really spreads the ball around, to a bunch of different receivers, especially the guys who don't get to touch the ball that much, i.e. Pascoe, Hynoski, Beckum, Barden; all this in addition to our regular starting receivers. Do that, and Dallas won't know what the Hell is going on, or who'll be getting the ball next. My gut says Dallas is gonna key on shutting down Cruz, and Nicks, which they may have some success with, so getting the ball to these other guys is gonna be really important...

All-Pro

Cowboys defense is number 2 in the NFL for sacks, the last time we faced a team that was top 5(Eagles) in sacks we didn't protect Eli and we loss, I hope they protect him in this game otherwise it's season over...