+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Donta Hightower visits NYG

Re: Donta Hightower visits NYG

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Blue_Buddha"]
    1. There are a limited number of talented prospects that you can choose.[/quote]
    ok...
    2. You can't choose whom ever you want past the first pick
    What do you mean? of course you can.
    3. You can't pass up talent because it doesn't fit your system. There are exceptions, if you are running a 4-3 you might want to pass by the top nose tackle or maybe pass up a QB because you don't need it.
    You absolutely can pass up talent if it doesnt fit your system. Because there are plenty of players who DO fit your system. If you are ever in a situation where there are good players, none of which fit your system, you trade that pick.
    4. Good coaches always find a way to get talent on the field. You either coach the talent to fit your system or add nuances to the system to fit the talent. In the NFL the System should not be set in stone because the game will evolve to beat you.
    Good coaches can evaluate players and tell if they fit in with what they want to do before the players are brought in. Thats why coaches are involved in the draft process.

Scouts go out and evaluate players based on player talent alone, then coaches come in and evaluate how players fit with what they want to run.[/quote]Doesn't the fact that the Giants brought Hightower show they think he can fit there system?

Starter

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="NY4U2"][I think Kiwi brings more to the table then just what you mentioned. The guy is a fast learner a team player and a plug and play type of guy. Not every player is willing to leave there natural (where they played in college/excel at) If you said someone diff maybe but kiwi is the man not the greatest but he has many intangibles
    [/quote]

Well Hightower does in college what Kiwi does for the giants... so it is mostly plug and play for hightower, and I dont think he would complain about bouncing back and forth bewteen positions either, as he is comfortable doing so.[/quote]

lol what ever happens @ 32 I trust Reese I know he wont reach if theres some1 with a way higher grade just to fill a pos. We'll just have to wait and see for the most part I like Reeses pieces (picks) some were head scratchers (Beckum) but ill leave that for another post..

[quote user="XxBigWhitxX"]Doesn't the fact that the Giants brought Hightower show they think he can fit there system?[/quote]

They bring in guys that they need to see more from, either on field or in meetings.

If they were already confident Hightower would fit the team, they would have no reason to bring him in at all...

And Its not a matter of whether he fits or not, its a matter of where and what role. I think most of us agree that he fits at SAM. But how does that make sense for the giants unless they either are planning on moving on from Kiwi next year, or are moving Kiwi this year?

Or do they think he can play at Mike? And do they think he can be a 3 down player at Mike, or is he strictly a 2 down Mike? And is a 2 down player worthy of a first round pick?

Hightower would of been a beast on the 80's Giants.

If you ask me, I think we would be doing a disservice to this kid's career and future by bringing him to a 4-3 team. I'm not saying he would be a bust here but the roof is higher so to speak for a 3-4 team.

[quote user="TheEnigma"]Hightower would of been a beast on the 80's Giants.

If you ask me, I think we would be doing a disservice to this kid's career and future by bringing him to a 4-3 team. I'm not saying he would be a bust here but the roof is higher so to speak for a 3-4 team.[/quote]

Yea I really think if you look at how Hightower fits on the Steelers, as the thumper next to Timmons and can also play OLB to spell Harrison and Woodley, that is just a perfect fit for both.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="B&RWarrior"][

Are you saying we officially are not drafting Levonte David because we're set at OLB? Do you think Kiwi is good in coverage? Is there a MLB available that will be worth the 32nd pick?

I'm against moving Boley to MLB. He's the best LB we have covering TEs.[/quote]

Well Levonte David projects best as a weakside backer, in college he has the exact same role that Boley has for the giants.

But the Giants have three guys who are weakside backers, J Will, Boley, and Rivers. Where does David play? Do you draft him and start him then have the other couple guys just play STs? Its hard to incorporate 3 or 4 weakside backers into the defense, unless you are running a rotation like they do on the DL.

As for MLB, Kuechly is probably the best fit, but even he has somewhat of a narrow frame and may translate better to weakside. Its a tough position to fill.

And all we have for draft history at the position is Greg Jones, Philip Dillard, and Jon Goff.

And if you compare those three guys, for size, athleticism, ability, I think the only thing they all have in common is that they are all about 240 pounds.

Goff is 6'2 240, pretty athletic for his size, ran a 4.63 40, and had a 35" vert.

Dillard is 6'0 240, ran a 4.65 and had a 31" vert.

Then Jones, who is 5'11 240 ran a 4.75 and had a 31" vert.

If anything, they are losing height and athleticism as they go. Lol[/quote]

Kuechly won't fall to No. 32. Goff's 40 time is surprising. Ray Lewis ran a 4.6, but if you asked me if Goff was as fast as Lewis I would've said no way. Lewis has way better range, and everything else.

Yeah I'm thinking we draft Fleener or go O-line in the first round. I'm thinking guard.
    In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

[quote user="B&RWarrior"]

Kuechly won't fall to No. 32. [/quote]
    Probably not, but Ive seen stranger things.

Goff's 40 time is surprising. Ray Lewis ran a 4.6, but if you asked me if Goff was as fast as Lewis I would've said no way. Lewis has way better range, and everything else.
    Lewis was also running his 40 before those things were particularly trained for. I have heard reports that in his prime, Lewis ran sub 4.5. But he has such incredible instincts and lateral ability his straight line speed was probably never a huge deal anyway

Yeah I'm thinking we draft Fleener or go O-line in the first round. I'm thinking guard.
    I think they can go a bunch of directions. Hard to predict what players will be around for them to chose from at 32. Much easier when they are picking in the top 15.

I would draft Kendricks before the other Inside LB's.I think his value is better. Very aggressive player.1 of my favorite guys to watch games of

I'm glad to see that they are looking at least, don't know if he will make it to us or if he is a smoke screen but I'm glad they are looking!

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]I would draft Kendricks before the other Inside LB's.I think his value is better. Very aggressive player.1 of my favorite guys to watch games of[/quote]

i really like kendricks as well.
    Ig: casefit - follow

+ Reply to Thread