+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Donta Hightower visits NYG

[quote user="Shockeystays08"]"he doesn't fit our system stuff is hogwash. [/quote]

You do realize system fit is perhaps the most important part of bringing in new players, right?

I dont think you force a DC to change the system he runs because you drafted a rookie, especially after he just won the SB running the system that is already in place. You find players that can do what you want and fit in.

I agree somewhat but unlike college you can't go a recruit players that fit your system.
    1. There are a limited number of talented prospects that you can choose.
    2. You can't choose whom ever you want past the first pick
    3. You can't pass up talent because it doesn't fit your system. There are exceptions, if you are running a 4-3 you might want to pass by the top nose tackle or maybe pass up a QB because you don't need it.
    4. Good coaches always find a way to get talent on the field. You either coach the talent to fit your system or add nuances to the system to fit the talent. In the NFL the System should not be set in stone because the game will evolve to beat you.

[quote user="Blue_Buddha"]
    1. There are a limited number of talented prospects that you can choose.[/quote]
    ok...
    What do you mean? of course you can.
    3. You can't pass up talent because it doesn't fit your system. There are exceptions, if you are running a 4-3 you might want to pass by the top nose tackle or maybe pass up a QB because you don't need it.
    You absolutely can pass up talent if it doesnt fit your system. Because there are plenty of players who DO fit your system. If you are ever in a situation where there are good players, none of which fit your system, you trade that pick.
    4. Good coaches always find a way to get talent on the field. You either coach the talent to fit your system or add nuances to the system to fit the talent. In the NFL the System should not be set in stone because the game will evolve to beat you.
    Good coaches can evaluate players and tell if they fit in with what they want to do before the players are brought in. Thats why coaches are involved in the draft process.

Scouts go out and evaluate players based on player talent alone, then coaches come in and evaluate how players fit with what they want to run.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Blue_Buddha"] 1. There are a limited number of talented prospects that you can choose.[/quote] ok...
    What do you mean? of course you can.
    You absolutely can pass up talent if it doesnt fit your system. Because there are plenty of players who DO fit your system. If you are ever in a situation where there are good players, none of which fit your system, you trade that pick.
    Good coaches can evaluate players and tell if they fit in with what they want to do before the players are brought in. Thats why coaches are involved in the draft process. Scouts go out and evaluate players based on player talent alone, then coaches come in and evaluate how players fit with what they want to run.[/quote]

I guess we just have different philosophies how teams should draft. To me to get ahead in teh NFL you constantly have to evolve your system so no onefully figures itout. The fastest way way tothat is to adjust your system yearly to the talent pool that comes in. Yes you get guys that fit your system but you can'tpass up talentthat will potentially wreak havoc in the NFL.

When the Patriots drafted two TE recently when thier offense doesn't revolve around a TEs it wasa head scrathcher.They got two athletic guys but are they doing with two TEs? Guess what they found a way to use them effectively they evolved.They made up for thier running game and complimented they passing attack with those two TEs.

Finding system guys isn't total hogwash, it works. I just belive teams shouldn't limit themselves to the coach's system.

I don't see him really playing MLB for our defense. He doesn't possess the sideline to sideline speed needed to cover a bigger area of the field in the pass game or to help out on runs at the other end.

He would probably be a very good SOLB if he came here and with his pass rushing ability as well, he looks like the perfect replacement for Kiwi if we don't wish to resign him.

But should we really use a 1st round selection on a SOLB?

Veteran

[quote user="TheEnigma"]I don't see him really playing MLB for our defense. He doesn't possess the sideline to sideline speed needed to cover a bigger area of the field in the pass game or to help out on runs at the other end.

He would probably be a very good SOLB if he came here and with his pass rushing ability as well, he looks like the perfect replacement for Kiwi if we don't wish to resign him.

But should we really use a 1st round selection on a SOLB?[/quote]

Yeah, I don't know about drafting what would essentially be a 2-down linebacker. Maybe they see something in him, I mean our run defense was terrible at times this past year and he can most definitely help out with that. Again, we do have bigger needs but I trust this coaching staff.

[quote user="Blue_Buddha"]I guess we just have different philosophies how teams should draft. To me to get ahead in teh NFL you constantly have to evolve your system so no one*fully figures it*out. The fastest way way to*that is to adjust your system yearly to the talent pool that comes in. *Yes you get guys that fit your system but you can't*pass up talent*that will potentially wreak havoc in the NFL. [/quote]

I understand what you are saying, but what the patriots did wasent really unique. Teams had always valued inline TEs and move TEs. Patriots were fortunate to find one of each in the same draft. Their offense did not have to change to incorporate them. There was always a spot for them to use both players.

Their offense evolved afterwards because they decided to part with Moss.

Likewise, with Hightower there are only so many things he can do. Hes a thumper, he struggles with change of direction, and hes never going to be good in man coverage.

So how do you use a player like that? Well there are a couple ways, 3-4 ILB he would be perfect, he may fit in an over or under front as the up LB. And he may fit as a 4-3 SAM.

With their strength at DE, giants arent moving to a 3-4. 4-3 under and over defenses require one of the ends to play man up on an OT, and 2 gap. It could be done, but none of the giants DEs are ideal players for that, all of them are up the field rushers. So the only fit for Hightower would be at SAM. They currently have four pretty good OLBs on the roster, Boley, Kiwi, Rivers, and J Will. So where does Hightower plug in?

agreed, he is better off playing in a 3-4 as an ILB. If we do indeed draft him, I would think the Giants would use him as a SAM to replace Kiwi next year like others have mentioned. It would also get rid of Sintim lol

to the guy that said "he doesn't fit our scheme is hogwash" go do a little more research and then comment. All teams in the NFL draft based on their scheme.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Blue_Buddha"]I guess we just have different philosophies how teams should draft. To me to get ahead in teh NFL you constantly have to evolve your system so no one*fully figures it*out. The fastest way way to*that is to adjust your system yearly to the talent pool that comes in. *Yes you get guys that fit your system but you can't*pass up talent*that will potentially wreak havoc in the NFL. [/quote]

I understand what you are saying, but what the patriots did wasent really unique. Teams had always valued inline TEs and move TEs. Patriots were fortunate to find one of each in the same draft. Their offense did not have to change to incorporate them. There was always a spot for them to use both players.

Likewise, with Hightower there are only so many things he can do. Hes a thumper, he struggles with change of direction, and hes never going to be good in man coverage.

So how do you use a player like that? Well there are a couple ways, 3-4 ILB he would be perfect, he may fit in an over or under front as the up LB. And he may fit as a 4-3 SAM.

With their strength at DE, giants arent moving to a 3-4. 4-3 under and over defenses require one of the ends to play man up on an OT, and 2 gap. It could be done, but none of the giants DEs are ideal players for that, all of them are up the field rushers. So the only fit for Hightower would be at SAM. They currently have four pretty good OLBs on the roster, Boley, Kiwi, Rivers, and J Will. So where does Hightower plug in?[/quote]

Are you saying we officially are not drafting Levonte David because we're set at OLB? Do you think Kiwi is good in coverage? Is there a MLB available that will be worth the 32nd pick?

I'm against moving Boley to MLB. He's the best LB we have covering TEs.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Blue_Buddha"]I guess we just have different philosophies how teams should draft. To me to get ahead in teh NFL you constantly have to evolve your system so no one*fully figures it*out. The fastest way way to*that is to adjust your system yearly to the talent pool that comes in. *Yes you get guys that fit your system but you can't*pass up talent*that will potentially wreak havoc in the NFL. [/quote]

With their strength at DE, giants arent moving to a 3-4. 4-3 under and over defenses require one of the ends to play man up on an OT, and 2 gap. It could be done, but none of the giants DEs are ideal players for that, all of them are up the field rushers. So the only fit for Hightower would be at SAM. They currently have four pretty good OLBs on the roster, Boley, Kiwi, Rivers, and J Will. So where does Hightower plug in?[/quote]

Are you saying we officially are not drafting Levonte David because we're set at OLB? Do you think Kiwi is good in coverage? Is there a MLB available that will be worth the 32nd pick?

I'm against moving Boley to MLB. He's the best LB we have covering TEs.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.