+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Jones is a cheapskate

Re: Jerry Jones is a cheapskate

[quote user="Tuckit91"][quote user="greenca190"][quote user="Drez"]Ok. I can understand charging for the helmet. But, charging for lunch. That's just ****ed up.
    [/quote]

My employer has never bought me lunch.[/quote]

Mine does once a year and its from some where cheap.lol[/quote]

I used to work for a place, an aggressive start-up, that brought free lunch in every day.

You had to eat it within 20 minutes, and they did it so you wouldn't leave the building and would get back to work more quickly. They even encouraged eating at your desk instead of in the break room.

I'd rather buy my own lunch.
    8-Time NFL Champions - 1927 1934 1938 1956 1986 1990 2007 2011

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Bing Crosby"][quote user="jomo"]
    No one ever said JJ has class.[/quote]

Exactly. This is the same Jerry Jones who fired Tom Landry with all the ceremonial pomp and circumstances given to an average McDonald's employee right?
    [/quote]

Like any Giants fan, I'm no fan or defender of Jones.

But to be fair--as per NFLNetwork's "A Football Life" series episode featuring Tom Landry--it was Hank Stram who was the true D Bag in the Landry firing.

He'd wanted to let Landry go for the last couple of years of his ownership of the team (Dallas sucked those years; and even though they had gone 15-16 straight years with winning records and appeared in 5 SBs, you're only as good as your last season, right?), and he simply chickened out. He couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger.

And while I can empathize with a person who feels so strongly about a 27-28 year personal and professional relationship with a person that he can't bring himself to fire the guy, the fact is that he dumped that responsibility onto Jones when he sold the team.

I'm sure that was not the first thing Jones wanted to do--and alienate a majority of the team's fan base while he was at it, even though temporarily--upon taking ownership of the team.

The honorable thing (and less stressful in the end) would have been for Stram to talk man-to-man with Landry 1 or 2 years earlier, and given him the option to "retire" on his own.

Given his age at the time and length of service with the Cowboys, and given that the team HAD declined over the previous few years to the extent of making fans grumble, and given the alternative (being fired and humiliated) I doubt Landry would have objected to "voluntary" retirement.

Had that simple tactic been used, all 3 principles would have saved face, the former and the new owners would have been satisfied and able to smoothly move forward, and Landry would have left the game without controversy and some degree of humiliation.

Seems simple. And honorable. But we're talking about 2 Texas millionaires, for whom those 2 terms apparently mean nothing.

Careless disregard for others.[/quote]I don't get the Hank Stram reference. Did you mean Gil Brandt?[/quote]

My bad. I meant Tex Schramm, GM/Pres. I meant no disrespect to Hank.

[quote user="jomo"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Bing Crosby"][quote user="jomo"]

Exactly. This is the same Jerry Jones who fired Tom Landry with all the ceremonial pomp and circumstances given to an average McDonald's employee right?
    [/quote]

But to be fair--as per NFLNetwork's "A Football Life" series episode featuring Tom Landry--it was Hank Stram who was the true D Bag in the Landry firing.

He'd wanted to let Landry go for the last couple of years of his ownership of the team (Dallas sucked those years; and even though they had gone 15-16 straight years with winning records and appeared in 5 SBs, you're only as good as your last season, right?), and he simply chickened out. He couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger.

And while I can empathize with a person who feels so strongly about a 27-28 year personal and professional relationship with a person that he can't bring himself to fire the guy, the fact is that he dumped that responsibility onto Jones when he sold the team.

I'm sure that was not the first thing Jones wanted to do--and alienate a majority of the team's fan base while he was at it, even though temporarily--upon taking ownership of the team.

The honorable thing (and less stressful in the end) would have been for Stram to talk man-to-man with Landry 1 or 2 years earlier, and given him the option to "retire" on his own.

Given his age at the time and length of service with the Cowboys, and given that the team HAD declined over the previous few years to the extent of making fans grumble, and given the alternative (being fired and humiliated) I doubt Landry would have objected to "voluntary" retirement.

Had that simple tactic been used, all 3 principles would have saved face, the former and the new owners would have been satisfied and able to smoothly move forward, and Landry would have left the game without controversy and some degree of humiliation.

Seems simple. And honorable. But we're talking about 2 Texas millionaires, for whom those 2 terms apparently mean nothing.

Careless disregard for others.[/quote]I don't get the Hank Stram reference. Did you mean Gil Brandt?[/quote]

My bad. I meant Tex Schramm, GM/Pres. I meant no disrespect to Hank.

Starter

[quote user="gmen46"][quote user="jomo"][quote user="gmen46"][quote user="Bing Crosby"][quote user="jomo"]

[/quote]

My bad. I meant Tex Schramm, GM/Pres. I meant no disrespect to Hank.[/quote]

Either way Jones did want to fire Landry it was one of the reasons he was hired. Schramm interviewed candidates for the position and asked them about their plans and rejected everyone who wanted to stay with Landry and one of the only reasons he hired Jones is because he wanted to overhaul and fire everybody. Your right about Schramm pushing his agenda forth but your absolving Jones of to much of the blame.

[quote user="JPP"]

Either way Jones did want to fire Landry it was one of the reasons he was hired. Schramm interviewed candidates for the position and asked them about their plans and rejected everyone who wanted to stay with Landry and one of the only reasons he hired Jones is because he wanted to overhaul and fire everybody. Your right about Schramm pushing his agenda forth but your absolving Jones of to much of the blame.[/quote]

Jerry Jones bought the team, he was not hired.

"You win close games because you're prepared to do it. It doesn't just come down to luck." -- Bill Parcells

[quote user="SweetZombieJesus"]
    Jerry Jones bought the team, he was not hired.
    [/quote]

I get his point though, and I agree with it. Anyone who thinks that Jerry Jones dealt with Landry correctly IMO are simply incorrect. I think if you asked Jones that today he would admit that he handle it wrong, it was perceived that he was disrespecting an actual living legend. Whether he meant to or not, that is what has gone down in history and people to this day still believe that Landry was thrown out like old trash.

I obviously don't know the guy, but Jones has always rubbed me the wrong way. Obviously I could be wrong, but from afar he seems like the kind of boss who will take your work results not give you any credit and declare himself a genius. Jones is almost unique in his search for notoriety. He wants to be adored like Landry, and even some fans of his organization can't stand him.

^ No I don't think Jones dealt with Landry correctly at all. It's one of the primary reasons I disdain him so much.

I don't think anybody deserves coach-for-life status no matter who they are and how good they are (or used to be).

Fine if Jones wanted to remove him (and if the previous owners did as well). But he deserved a more dignified end, perhaps move him into the front office and give him a chance to resign as coach with class, make it look like his idea.

To my way of thinking, Jerry Jones has made one quality decision since he obtained ownership of the Cowboys. That was in hiring Jimmy Johnson as HC. To put Johnson in place, the removal of Coach Landry was necessary. What wasn't necessary was the ***tty manner in which Landry was dismissed. And then, Jones took a dump on the one good decision he made by letting his ego force Johnson out, to prove that Jones was the real brains behind the Super Bowl runs. Johnson left such a good team behind that it took a few years for even Jones and Barry Switzer to make a mess of it. And so it remains to this day.

^ Jimmy was smart with his trade to the Vikings. Every Dallas fan can thank Minnesota for the help they gave the Boys, and the championships they put in their trophy case. Your right in general though, Jones' ego has cost the Cowboys more then once. I have a friend who's a Cowboys fan (although he hates Jerry) and he always claims that if Jimmy was there they'd still be winning championships. I personally think he is full of it, but I doubt they would be doing any worse.

Every year I have to remind Cowboys fans that Jerry didn't run Jimmy out of town-- and I'm sure I've said it here before as well.

Jimmy left.

His typical tenure in any given location was about 4 years (usually less) and it was just about that time for Jimmy to go.

Of course he had a disagreement with ownership-- he did in Miami as well, and it's probably why he never coached after that again.

And to add to that, Jimmy was a good coach here in Dallas because he and Jones teamed up together to put together one of the best football teams ever.

If it were all Jimmy's doing, he would have done well with the Dolphins as well.

Also, Jimmy wasn't all that smart with the trade with the Vikings... If Jimmy had gotten his way, he would have traded Michael Irvin to the raiders. And in fact, it was Jerry Jones skills in negotiating that was more influential in getting the most out of the trade.

Jones deserves just as much credit as Jimmy for the Lombardis. And Jimmy deserves just as much blame as Jerry for the split.

+ Reply to Thread