+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Matt Vensel of Baltimore Sun's mock draft (first round)

Matt Vensel of Baltimore Sun's mock draft (first round)

1. Colts: Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford. The question isnít if theyíll take Luck; itís if they will have contract terms in place before Round 1 next Thursday.

2. Redskins: Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor. Football fans down I-95 finally have a reason for excitement. Iím eager to see how RGIIIís game translates.

3. Vikings: Matt Kalil, OT, USC. This pick could be in play for a trade, but if not, they would be crazy to not take this tackle to protect Christian Ponder.

4. Browns: Ryan Tannehill, QB, Texas A&M. Hereís where the draft will start to get interesting. Do they like Tannehill enough to reach for him here?

5. Buccaneers: Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama. Thereís talk the Bucs love Morris Claiborne but things may change if Richardson gets past the Browns.

6. Rams: Justin Blackmon, WR, OklahomaState. Which top-tier prospect will be there at No. 6? Ideally it would be Blackmon, the draftís top wideout.

7. Jaguars: Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU. If some team covets Tannehill early, the Jaguars will luck out and land a top prospect such as Claiborne.

8. Dolphins: Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa. If the Dolphins want Tannehill, they may have to move to get him. If not, they have plenty of other holes to fill.

9. Panthers: Fletcher Cox, DT, MississippiState. The Panthers need to beef up their front four and Cox is solidifying himself as one of the top D-tackles.

10. Bills: Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame. They could go offensive line, but flanking Floyd opposite of Stevie Johnson would boost their pass attack.

11. Chiefs: Luke Kuechly, ILB, BostonCollege. Inside linebackers taken this early donít always pan out, but GM Scott Pioli has drafted them high before.

12. Seahawks:David DeCastro, OG, Stanford. A few draft analysts have hailed DeCastro as the second coming of former Seahawk Steve Hutchinson.

13. Cardinals: Melvin Ingram, DE/OLB, South Carolina. Theyíd probably like to select a receiver or a tackle, but Ingram would be a better value here.

14. Cowboys: Mark Barron, S, Alabama. The Cowboys have needs at both safety and corner, but Barron is said to be a rising prospect and a safe pick.

15. Eagles: Michael Brockers, DT, LSU. Whispers out of Philly say they may draft a defensive tackle. Of his peers, Brockers might have the most upside.

16. Jets: Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis. Legit or not, comparisons have been made to Haloti Ngata. Might that tempt Rex Ryan and the Jets to target Poe?

17. Bengals: Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama. The Bengals need to find a replacement for Johnathan Joseph, who was missed during the 2011 season.

18. Chargers: Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina. The Chargers defense ranked 28th in yards allowed per attempt this year. Gilmore should help out.

19. Bears:Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina. They need a defensive end to bookend with Julius Peppers, who also played college ball in Chapel Hill.

20. Titans: Nick Perry, DE, USC. If Kirkpatrick or Gilmore are on the board when they pick, I could see them taking one. If not the pass rush needs work.

21. Bengals: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor. The Bengals hit a home run last year withA.J. Green. Adding Wright would give Cincy a formidable duo.

22. Browns: Jonathan Martin, OT, Stanford. If they do go with Tannehill, they would be wise to protect their investment with a lineman like Martin.

23. Lions: Mike Adams, OT, OhioState. He appears to have the tools to be a left tackle in the NFL but his work ethic and character have been questioned.

24. Steelers: Cordy Glenn, OT/G, Georgia. The Steelers need both a right tackle and a guard. This mountainous man can play one of those positions.

25. Broncos: Jerel Worthy, DT, MichiganState. They were unable to take care of their defensive line in free agency, so taking Worthy makes sense.

26. Texans: Stephen Hill, WR, Georgia Tech. It will be interesting to see if interest in Hill meets all the media hype after his strong combine showing.

27. Patriots: Courtney Upshaw, DE/OLB, Alabama. The Patriots need to boost their pass rush if they are going to play wide receivers at cornerback.

28. Packers: Shea Mcclellin, DE/OLB, BoiseState. There is chatter that he could climb into the first round. He would fit well in the Packers defense.

29. Ravens: Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin. Iím sticking with Konz here. He was in for a visit, and he makes a heck of a lot of sense on paper for the Ravens.

30. 49ers: Janoris Jenkins, CB, North Alabama. Character concerns could push him out of the first round, but the 49ers arenít afraid to take some risks.

31. Patriots: David Wilson, RB, Virginia Tech. The Patriots love to throw the ball, but Wilson is a well-rounded back who can block and catch, too.

32. Giants: Dontía Hightower, ILB, Alabama. Even after trading for Keith Rivers, the reigning Super Bowl champs need reinforcements at linebacker.

Re: Matt Vensel of Baltimore Sun's mock draft (first round)

Not difficult seeing all top 5 OT getting drafted in the 1st but someone could slide down and getting considerations at 32. In this mock Devon is out of the first, possible but I doubt it.
    I guess mocking Dont'a to the Giants comes from the predraft visit but I don't have any problem the Giants going after a 1st round ILB talent at 32.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

Wow, would love the draft to fall this way to us. We would have lots of options and JR and coaches could pick the best value player for us:
    Devon Still (DT)
    Donta Hightower (LB)
    Doug Martin (RB)
    Coby Fleener (TE)

I still would tend to pick either Martin or Still with this pick and think they would grade out very close to Hightower and are positions in greater need than LB'er for us (I would not say that a few weeks ago).

With it falling this way there is really no bad choice between those 4 though. I would like to see a WR fall to us like Stephen Hill though. (great upside for him).

Where would martin play if the browns took him they already have Thomas at LT I don't really see him at rt or at guard.

[quote user="DelawareGiants"]Wow, would love the draft to fall this way to us. We would have lots of options and JR and coaches could pick the best value player for us:
    Devon Still (DT)
    Donta Hightower (LB)
    Doug Martin (RB)
    Coby Fleener (TE)

I still would tend to pick either Martin or Still with this pick and think they would grade out very close to Hightower and are positions in greater need than LB'er for us (I would not say that a few weeks ago).

With it falling this way there is really no bad choice between those 4 though. I would like to see a WR fall to us like Stephen Hill though. (great upside for him).[/quote] geez I'd hate to be Reese having to make the choice between still,Hightower,Martin,Fleener......
    Still,were going to need to beef up at DT to prepare for Canty leaving and could use a rotational guy this year....
    HIghtower,MLB still isn't solved & there's a very good chance Kiwi isn't around next year for the SLB spot...
    Martin, no brainer, BJ gone, & Bradshaw can't be counted on to stay healthy.....Infact, the more $$ he makes, if Bradshaw cant stay healthy he may not be a Giant sooner then we think....
    Fleener, Ballard has his situation....& realistically, Bennett is a very big gamble to assume he'll come along and turn into a star....

Let's hope it falls like that. Hightower would be a monster behind that D-line of ours. GO GIANTS!

Veteran

[quote user="Dirt66"]Let's hope it falls like that. Hightower would be a monster behind that D-line of ours. GO GIANTS![/quote]+1

+ Reply to Thread