+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What will the O-line look like this season? Also, thoughts on 1st draft pick

Bench Player

What will the O-line look like this season? Also, thoughts on 1st draft pick

LT - Beatty
    LG - Boothe/Petrus
    C - Baas/Boothe
    RG - Snee
    RT - Brewer/Diehl/Locklear

I see it looking like this, with Boothe and Brewer winning the offseason competition at those spots. Also, for those of you who think Beatty isn't an absolute lock at LT barring injury, that idea is laughable. I think our biggest worries are obviously LG and RT, but I don't think it's worthwhile to spend a first rounder on a lineman, because we already have competition at our biggest holes on the line, and we are good at picking up guys in later rounds and then developing them.

Personally I'd like to go RB in the first, although I'm ok with us drafting most positions there, I think a pickup of RB or WR would be able to make the biggest immediate impact, as our RB depth is laughable right now, and the third WR spot is of course up for grabs, and a very important position to fill with Nicks and Cruz drawing all the coverage so as to open things up for our TEs and third WR.

I know that this draft has a lot of depth at RB, and I know that the top guys after Richardson, (Martin, Wilson, Miller) are all seen mostly as mid to late 2nd rounders. However I think that is largely due to the undervaluing of the position and the fact that it's easy to find guys in later rounds, plus that they tend to have shorter careers. Despite all of this, I really would be thrilled if we picked up Martin or Wilson with our first pick at 32, (we rarely seem to move, but I would love to trade back and then pick up wilson if we could) because either of them could be a stud for us at what I see know as the biggest weakness on our team along with o-line, where at least in the case of the o-line we have depth, whereas at RB we have Ware and a 7th rounder in Scott (not that I won't be thrilled if he turns out to be something)

Massive walls of text over. Thoughts?

Veteran

Re: What will the O-line look like this season? Also, thoughts on 1st draft pick

Probably:
    Beatty-Petrus-Baas-Snee-Diehl

I'm hoping that Brewer will step up and take the RT job, but in all likelyhood, its Diehl's

As for the 1st round... I'm fine with pretty much whatever they do, so long as it isn't Jon Martin, Mike Adams, or Dont'A Hightower. Otherwise, In Reese I Trust.

Re: What will the O-line look like this season? Also, thoughts on 1st draft pick

[quote user="Raptor22"]Probably:

I'm hoping that Brewer will step up and take the RT job, but in all likelyhood, its Diehl's
    <br
    [/quote]

I tend to agree. Though I do think Locklear has a chance to be the RT.

I would really like them to bring in a guard. I think LG can be upgraded, and Snee if he is still fighting injuries might need a guy to step in for him a couple games.

Veteran

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Raptor22"]Probably:

<br
    [/quote]

I tend to agree. Though I do think Locklear has a chance to be the RT.

I would really like them to bring in a guard. I think LG can be upgraded, and Snee if he is still fighting injuries might need a guy to step in for him a couple games.[/quote]

Barring 30 GM's losing their damn minds and DeCastro falling to 31, I just don't see a clear upgrade to Petrus (Cordy Glenn is a possibility, but again, he's iffy to be there). Maybe Zietler, but I like Petrus. He's got the power/athleticism and he brings a ton of energy/enthusiasm to the line (something they lost when Suebert went down), in addition to having time in the offense and unit.
    </br

[quote user="Raptor22"]
    Barring 30 GM's losing their damn minds and DeCastro falling to 31, I just don't see a clear upgrade to Petrus (Cordy Glenn is a possibility, but again, he's iffy to be there). Maybe Zietler, but I like Petrus. He's got the power/athleticism and he brings a ton of energy/enthusiasm to the line (something they lost when Suebert went down), in addition to having time in the offense and unit.
    </br
    [/quote]

I dont see Petrus as being anywhere near starting caliber. He got completely manhandled against the 49ers.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Raptor22"]
    [/quote]

I dont see Petrus as being anywhere near starting caliber. He got completely manhandled against the 49ers.[/quote]
    but he also had some strong games against the Packers, Cowboys and Redskins when it seemed the Giants really turned around their running game

[quote user="juice33s"]
    but he also had some strong games against the Packers, Cowboys and Redskins when it seemed the Giants really turned around their running game
    [/quote]

I thought he got outplayed by Boothe all season. And Boothe is no top OL.

But you look at the teams Petrus played well against, none of them have top interior DLs. Packers have Raji who played poorly and nobody else, Cowboys have a slowed down Ratliff and not much else and the redskins have nobody at all. (cofield?) I fear you put Petrus up against a Cullen Jenkins or any other good interior DL and the outcome is not pretty

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="juice33s"]
    [/quote]

I thought he got outplayed by Boothe all season. And Boothe is no top OL.

But you look at the teams Petrus played well against, none of them have top interior DLs. Packers have Raji who played poorly and nobody else, Cowboys have a slowed down Ratliff and not much else and the redskins have nobody at all. (cofield?) I fear you put Petrus up against a Cullen Jenkins or any other good interior DL and the outcome is not pretty[/quote]
    Raji, Ratliff and Cofield are no slouches themselves and the Giants Oline was noticeably better when he was inserted in the lineup. I'd have no problem starting either he or boothe, maybe their not all pro's, but certainly guys who can compete at a high level. Also keep in mind Petrus was just 24 this past season and is still getting better

Check out Petrus' block on the DJ ware two point conversion against Dallas. Thats a big time play in a big time situation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvQIrAi5kGI
    end of the video

Starter

who ever starts I hope we bring in more depth it seem when we have to shuffle to much the Oline get out of sync

+ Reply to Thread