+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I really feel that with the 1st pick....

We either grab Fleener if he is there, or a WR that is 1st round pick worthy (Hill, Randle, Jeffrey). We need a good 3rd recieving option for Eli, with MM's departure. I know alot of people think JJ will fill the void.......I don't feel so assured of his ability to be the #3 guy. Even if JJ can tow the line, we still would want somebody of quality to be a #4........cuz I definatley don't have alot of faith in Barden, or Hixon (due to consecutive acl injuries).

Re: I really feel that with the 1st pick....

I agree . . . .

Our QB is our best player and the guy who got us to the SB. Our first priority should be to make sure that he has all of the weapons that he needs . . . .

Veteran

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

I agree . . . .

Our QB is our best player and the guy who got us to the SB.* Our first priority should be to make sure that he has all of the weapons that he needs . . . .

[/quote]

I think he needs a good running game more than another receiver at this point

[quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

I agree . . . .

Our QB is our best player and the guy who got us to the SB.* Our first priority should be to make sure that he has all of the weapons that he needs . . . .

[/quote]

I think he needs a good running game more than another receiver at this point[/quote]

I agree, however if we are in fact "setting up the run with the pass" and not vice versa.........then I think we should address the passing options first, then address the RB issue. Also remember, alot of our running game woes are due to poor Oline play.........

[quote user="GGTM_1977"][quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

I agree . . . .

[/quote]

I think he needs a good running game more than another receiver at this point[/quote]

I agree, however if we are in fact "setting up the run with the pass" and not vice versa.........then I think we should address the passing options first, then address the RB issue. Also remember, alot of our running game woes are due to poor Oline play.........[/quote]Poor running back play is certainly a part of it, too. Bradshaw was clearly not near 100%, and Jacobs is not a starting RB in this league.

Can a good OL make any RB look good? Sure -- but the reverse is also true. And no, it doesn't only take "Barry Sanders", it takes almost all top draft pick RBs.

Rice, McCoy, Peterson, CJ2K, Stewart, D-Will, Steven Jackson, McFadden, Forte -- all top 2 round picks.

[quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="GGTM_1977"][quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

I agree . . . .

[/quote]

I agree, however if we are in fact "setting up the run with the pass" and not vice versa.........then I think we should address the passing options first, then address the RB issue. Also remember, alot of our running game woes are due to poor Oline play.........[/quote]Poor running back play is certainly a part of it, too. Bradshaw was clearly not near 100%, and Jacobs is not a starting RB in this league.

Can a good OL make any RB look good? Sure -- but the reverse is also true. And no, it doesn't only take "Barry Sanders", it takes almost all top draft pick RBs.

Rice, McCoy, Peterson, CJ2K, Stewart, D-Will, Steven Jackson, McFadden, Forte -- all top 2 round picks.[/quote]

Also true....but alot of those are injured often, makes you wonder if them over compensating for bad Oline play is causing them to overexert themselves and get them hurt/injured. I think a good RB behind a good Oline is more effective than only having one of those be good and the other poor.

[quote user="GGTM_1977"][quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="GGTM_1977"][quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

I agree . . . .

[/quote]

Rice, McCoy, Peterson, CJ2K, Stewart, D-Will, Steven Jackson, McFadden, Forte -- all top 2 round picks.[/quote]

Also true....but alot of those are injured often, makes you wonder if them over compensating for bad Oline play is causing them to overexert themselves and get them hurt/injured. I think a good RB behind a good Oline is more effective than only having one of those be good and the other poor.[/quote]Yeah but who wants to allocate the picks to fix both of those issues?

Our RBs are poor, and so is our OL. Why invest so much to fix what won't even be featured in our offense? I'd rather just get a top RB in this class and let him provide a jolt for our running game, and Doug Martin is a guy I feel could do it with our first pick, and Lamar Miller is a guy I feel could do it with our second pick.

We pick-
    Fleener TE- I'm happy
    pick Hill WR- I'm happy
    Pick D. Martin RB- I'm happy
    Pick D. Still DT- I'm happy
    Pick J Martin OT- I'm happy
    Pick Ch. Jones DE (NOT CEDRIC JONES)- I'm happy

what will be key is who we follow up with in rounds 2 and 3 and 4a and 4b. We will get a quality guy in round 1 that probably should have been picked earlier.

[quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="GGTM_1977"][quote user="gmen0820"][quote user="GGTM_1977"][quote user="NY_Eli"][quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

I agree . . . .

[/quote]

Also true....but alot of those are injured often, makes you wonder if them over compensating for bad Oline play is causing them to overexert themselves and get them hurt/injured. I think a good RB behind a good Oline is more effective than only having one of those be good and the other poor.[/quote]Yeah but who wants to allocate the picks to fix both of those issues?

Our RBs are poor, and so is our OL. Why invest so much to fix what won't even be featured in our offense? I'd rather just get a top RB in this class and let him provide a jolt for our running game, and Doug Martin is a guy I feel could do it with our first pick, and Lamar Miller is a guy I feel could do it with our second pick.[/quote]

Wait I am confused, you say "Why invest so much to fix what won't even be featured in our offense?" What "featured" part are you refering to hear? If we are talking about the Oline......how do you feature the Oline? And we should always try to improve the Oline if we want Eli to be safe back there passing, as well as have a shot at running the ball decently. Gone are the days of the every down RB......guys can't holdup like they used to. You really need 2 decent RBs vs one really good one to have success in running the ball these days.....

[quote user="GGTM_1977"]
    Wait I am confused, you say "Why invest so much to fix what won't even be featured in our offense?" What "featured" part are you refering to hear? If we are talking about the Oline......how do you feature the Oline? And we should always try to improve the Oline if we want Eli to be safe back there passing, as well as have a shot at running the ball decently. Gone are the days of the every down RB......guys can't holdup like they used to. You really need 2 decent RBs vs one really good one to have success in running the ball these days.....[/quote]I'm tagalong about the running game. You say it is better to have a good RB, and a good OL for the RB. I think it'd be foolish to invest so heavily to fix the run game since it isn't featured in our offense.

We can all agree that Eli is the best player on our offense, and good things will happen if we can keep the ball in his hands. Eli is safe behind our OL. He is a great QB, he makes that OL, just like all great QBs do.

If we take a RB, it'd be pointless to take an OL just so that RB can likely be more effective, because you want a RB who makes your running game. Different story though if you want to draft an OL guy to help your existing RBs though, I just think it is foolish to draft both with the same intentions of fixing your run game, especially since we are a passing team.

And no, I don't regard OL as a big hole that needs to be addressed early in the draft. I'd much rather have Doug Martin/top WR in the first than any tackle that will likely be there.