+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would be disappointed with fleener in round 1

Who would be disappointed with fleener in round 1

I would. A lot of mocks still have us taking him if available. I feel that we are in great shape now with TEs. I think Bennett will be solid and Ballard will be back eventually. I just think TE is not the right pick. I love what Reese has done lately. Adding nice quality depth to a solid football team. I think it comes down to 4 positions. DE,OL,CB,LB. With possibly RB, but I think we will get a 5-6 year RB after the draft. Hopefully benson.

Re: Who would be disappointed with fleener in round 1

I would not be disappointed. we have depth at many positions but really we can't count on Ballard this year, Bennett will be an experiment with a huge upside. If Pascoe was that good he wouldn't have been a sub and only God knows about Beckum coming off his injury and the other guy, whose name I forget, from the practice squad. So if we was sitting there and Jerry picked him I wouldn't be upset. Besides with an unknown for the third wide receiver, a double tight end set like we used when Shockey was here would not only help the running game but help the passing game as well. See what NE does with double tight ends. I trust Reese.

N.Y Giants will not take a T.E in the first round. Fleener is not the type of TE the Giants looking for he is to small. Plus John spoke with Jerry Reese and he do not think there is a TE that's worth taking in the First 2 rounds. Trust me the Giants will take Hightower at 32 they really like him and Alshon Jeffery. Also don't look for OT in the first round because at 32 Jerry Reese don't think there is a OT worth taking at 32 only second round grade OT, so remember look for Hightower or Jeffery at 32.

Dante,
    Good post. I do agree with you and 2 TE sets. That is power giant football. Couple that with our explosion passing game, and teams would have no clue what was coming at them. I think I our running game got going, this team could break serious records. I believe that you still need to run the ball to win in this current NFL. We have lacked the closing ability in the last few years. I do trust Reese.

Veteran

[quote user="NewYorkSwagg"]N.Y Giants will not take a T.E in the first round. Fleener is not the type of TE the Giants looking for he is to small. Plus John spoke with Jerry Reese and he do not think there is a TE that's worth taking in the First 2 rounds. Trust me the Giants will take Hightower at 32 they really like him and Alshon Jeffery. Also don't look for OT in the first round because at 32 Jerry Reese don't think there is a OT worth taking at 32 only second round grade OT, so remember look for Hightower or Jeffery at 32.[/quote]

He's 8 lbs less than boss with room to add weight.

[quote user="Pa1jintfan"]I would. A lot of mocks still have us taking him if available. I feel that we are in great shape now with TEs. I think Bennett will be solid and Ballard will be back eventually. I just think TE is not the right pick. I love what Reese has done lately. Adding nice quality depth to a solid football team. I think it comes down to 4 positions. DE,OL,CB,LB. With possibly RB, but I think we will get a 5-6 year RB after the draft. Hopefully benson.[/quote]</P>

We are in "great shape" at TE??? lol</P>

Ballard will probably not even play this year and Beckum was a non-contributor before he blew his knee out. Pascoe is not a starting caliber TE and Bennett has been a career underachiever.</P>

Yeah, we're ingreat shape at TE alright . . . .</P>

Veteran

1. you cannot believe anything any GM says near draft time, they are constantly trying to throw eachother off so that the players they claim they don't want or claim they like either drop / or get take early so other players drop. its a verbal chess game.

2. we are not good at TE we have one possible starting TE in bennett and he is a project with some upside if he can contribute the way people expected him to, its been 4 years i'm not expecting much so if he does contribute i would be extremely surprised / if he doesn't i will not be butt hurt ( if he doesn't look for these posters to be in outrage with multiple he's a bum posts. )

3. Fleeener has great hands / good separation speed / high vertical / challenges the ball at its high point / uses his body against defenders / breaks or drags tackles / played in a pro style offense / can block ( not the best but coach pope can spin this kid up to be a great blocker in a year or 2 ) / he has the frame to add muscle and not lose speed / he will abuse the middle of the field and couple him with cruz it becomes a pick your poison situation / if we get him then getting a 3rd receiver becomes a luxury that can wait till 2nd pick of round 4 cause even if Jerrnigan / barden / hixon / WR pick doesn't pan out Fleener / cruz / nicks should be more than enough to keep defenders guessing.

4. lets face it ballard wasn't scaring anyone, neither is pascoe who is not a starting caliber TE "yet" look at tony romo and over the course of his career look who gets the ball the most and gains the most yards... witten. those short to intermediate routes for big YAC is what makes tony's stats look so good.
    Eli &gt; tony so give him a TE that can be like a witten/shockey ( pre prima donna ) and watch how eli dominates the field by spreading the ball / checking down.
    if fleener is the check down option then that's a good deal, then we don't have to fuss about our backs not catching the ball so much, and when they do it throws the defenses off cause its not expected... think back to the super bowl when we threw to hynoski the defense got caught off guard on both those plays.

5. we are in a passing league now, once you heard 3-4 QB's nearing 5k you should of understood that, that's not to say the running game is abandoned, the giants are a run first team but we have the luxury of being a pass to set up the run team now so we are extremely balanced when our running game returns to its former status that is lol. Eli needs better weapons to work with. like i said in another post.
    <blockquote>Either protect Eli or give him weapons in the first. there will be no first round talent protection where we pick so weapons are the next option.

</blockquote>i don't know how else to explain why fleener would be the best BPA/Need option at 32 if he's there. if he isn't then fine but alot of mocks i see have no one taking him and us going with a DE/DT ??? sigh* i trust reese but i think taking one of those positions would be more of a financial safety net than a BPA/need pick and picking LB would be stretching cause outside of Keuchly i don't think any LB fits our system to spend a 1st on. that includes Hightower

also people feel TE's are going to drop all th way to bottom of 3rd, that's a stretch as well, cause once these teams run dry on picking 1st-2nd grade WR's then TE's are next don't expect green /egnew to be there at 63 IMHO the way its looking

1. fleener
    2. charles
    3. allen
    4. egnew
    5. green
    i expect all 5 of those guys gone by 63 then whoever is available at 6th best is not even worth looking at till 4-5th round IMHO

RD1. DT Aaron Donald PITT / ARD1. CB Justin Gilbert OKST
    RD2. TE Jace Amaro Texas Tech
    RD3. CB Stanley jean Baptiste Nebraska / ADR3. DT Dominique Easley Florida
    RD4. WR Cody Latimer Indiana
    RD.5 DE Ed Stinson Alabama
    RD5B. C/OG Tyler Larsen Utah
    RD6. OLB Kevin Pierre-Louis Boston College

why would u be dissapointed? fleener has the potential to be a great TE. i'll be real dissapointed if hes available and they DONT take him. we are stacked at LB so i dont think hightower, i actually see the pats taking him right b4 us. and we are not at all in great shape at TE. ballard, who i like, wont be back till november if even at all. beckum sucks, pascoe is a good 2nd TE/FB and bennet onky has a 1 year deal and will be gone after next year anyway. and i hate the argument that the giants dont like recieving TEs, what sense does that make? they havent had a good receiving TE since shockey. boss was ok, nothing great, same goes for ballard. fleener is also a good blocker who could improve. my only hope is that he is there at 32.

Honestly, I think the Giants go Fleener, Martin and Hill, in that order.

I think the TE position is the most unsettled just because Bennett is only on a 1 year contract. If he has a great year, I don't know if the Giants will have the cap room to resign him. I love Ballard but after ACL and micro-fracture, who knows what he's going to be like when he comes back. Beckum is Beckum as Coughlin likes to say.

Giants could probably stand to upgrade the RB position some. Bradshaw has the foot problems and Ware seems pretty fragile and all we know about Scott is he's fast as hell but nothing else. Martin is suppose to be the real deal so I can't see how you go wrong there.

I do like Stephen Hill as well as I think he could really stretch the field and having him on the field with Cruz and Nicks and Bennett could be lethal. Don't think the Giants are sold on Barden, especially since Jernigan replaced him on the roster. I think Jernigan is an unknown but I think he could do well, hence why I think WR is the third option.

Obviously all these guys could be gone by the time we pick.

If Giants had Fleener, Martin and Hill on the board and they pick Fleener- I am disappointed. They can get a developmental TE to contribute in the later rounds. IMO- Martin could give us 15 touches a game at RB and Hill could be a very special receiver. I think we need more help at RB than receiver though.

+ Reply to Thread