+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

GIANTS' MICHAEL BOLEY WAS NFL'S BEST TACKLER IN 2011

GIANTS' MICHAEL BOLEY WAS NFL'S BEST TACKLER IN 2011

"When the debate about the NFL's elite tacklers surfaces around the water cooler on
    Monday mornings, the names of Brian Urlacher, Von Miller, Ray Lewis and Patrick
    Willis are the most likely to be mentioned. And as talented as each of those
    players are, none of them was statistically considered the best tackler in pro
    football a
    year ago. In fact, that honor went to someone who is infrequently considered one
    of the NFL's best: New York
    Giants linebacker Michael
    Boley

In an editorial that was recently published on Football Outsiders, Aaron Schatz ran
    down the statistical analysis of the premiere tacklers in the league during the
    2011-2012 season. Sitting alone at the top was Boley, who collected 76 total
    tackles, allowing only one tackle to be broken all year (1.3%).

The 1.3% broken tackle rate by Boley led the league, with Indianapolis Colts
    linebacker Philip Wheeler and Denver Broncos safety Chris Harris tied at second
    with a rate of 1.6%.

"Michael
    Boley
    's one broken tackle in 2011 matches his one broken tackle in 2010. Yet
    you never really hear Boley's name mentioned when analysts talk about the best
    tacklers in football,"
    Schatz wrote.

In addition to Boley, fellow linebacker Mathias
    Kiwanuka
    was near the top of the list at 2.9% (two broken tackles, 66 total
    tackles), as was cornerback Aaron
    Ross
    at 1.9% (one broken tackles, 51 total tackles). Ross, of course, is now with the Jacksonville Jaguars.

As a team, the Giants tied with the San Francisco 49ers for the league lead,
    allowing only 3.8% of their tackles to be broken. 40 players on Big Blue
    registered at least one tackle broken, which was second in the league to the
    49ers (37 players). The Tampa Bay Buccaneers led the NFL allowing
    9.0% of their tackles to be broken.

The Philadelphia Eagles were 31st in the NFL allowing 8.1% of their tackles to be broken, the
    Washington Redskins were 18th in the NFL allowing 5.3% of their tackles to be broken and the
    Dallas Cowboys were 12th in the NFL allowing 5.1% of their tackles to be broken."
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: GIANTS' MICHAEL BOLEY WAS NFL'S BEST TACKLER IN 2011

Nice stat. Anyone know who broke that tackle?

Veteran

I think when JR signed Boley everyone expected him to make a big jump with the gmen. Took a year or two, but he's definitely the best linebacker on the team. Great player.

Good to see Boley getting some recognition.

Great to have Boley healthy last year.

TY for this, ROA. I never ever would have guessed... especially that our reluctant wariior, Ross, was up there, too.
    Props to Boley, Kiwi, and Ross. Solid stats and surely a contributing factor why we are the SB Champs.

[quote user="zimonami"]TY for this, ROA. I never ever would have guessed... especially that our reluctant wariior, Ross, was up there, too.
    Props to Boley, Kiwi, and Ross. Solid stats and surely a contributing factor why we are the SB Champs.[/quote]

In that same article the GIANTS are tied with the 49ers for the League lead in the same category. That surprised me.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="zimonami"]TY for this, ROA. I never ever would have guessed... especially that our reluctant wariior, Ross, was up there, too.
    Props to Boley, Kiwi, and Ross. Solid stats and surely a contributing factor why we are the SB Champs.[/quote]

In that same article the GIANTS are tied with the 49ers for the League lead in the same category.* That surprised me.
    [/quote]
    Surprised me, too.
    Then I started reviewing the memory banks of this year and really couldn't remember any that ticked me off. There wasn't a defining play where we missed tackles that cost us in any game, like the Jackson PR in '10 that killed us.
    Turnovers, missed catches (reminds me of Ernest Grey missing Simms passes), and missed tackles... these are the things you don't notice as much as the great catch, big sack, or pick six... but you can't win with little mistakes. I think it's a product of good coaching putting emphasis on the little things, and focus and desire by the players. TC can use that stat to his advantage, while he praises the guys for doing the "little things" that mean a ring

[quote user="NY_Eli"]I think when JR signed Boley everyone expected him to make a big jump with the gmen. Took a year or two, but he's definitely the best linebacker on the team. Great player.[/quote]

+ 1

I lamented over Kawika, but Mike Boley has turned out to be a solid pickup.

that's JR's M.O in my opinion, doesn't go after the "big names" but rather pursues the second-tier guys that in the right system, flourish.

NFL Championships : 1927 1934 1938 1956 Super Bowl Champions: XXI XXV XLII XLVI

Inspiring stat but blown coverages and outright wiffs are an unmentioned stat in this. However, other teams have those too I suppose