+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rank the DTs

Veteran

Re: Rank the DTs

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="WR4Life"]
    Just refresh my memory on this one. It's been over 4 years now since I've played football. If you are playing a two gap system, doesn't it make it difficult to do so playing both ends in a 4 tech? That puts a lot of pressure on the ends to cover two gaps from that position or is that strictly referring to the nose tackle's responsibility?[/quote]

Well from what Ive seen from the Chiefs the DEs align at either 3, 4, or 5, even occasionally at 6. They are asked either to engage both guard + tackle, or two gap over the tackle.

They might be aligning more on the inside shoulder because of a lack of talent at NT. Having the DEs engaging or at least threatening the guards may help keep the guards off the NT, making the NTs 2 gapping job easier to accomplish. If they had a wilfork type at NT, maybe they align the DEs more often at 5 tech?

From what Ive seen of the chargers, they align their DEs as 3 techs an awful lot, they try to get penetration from their DEs quite a lot.[/quote]

That's why I was curious. From a 4 it would be very difficult to play 2 gaps. If its the case that it's compensating for the NT then it would almost be as if the NT has a two gap responsibility while the ends do not. It'd almost be impossible to cover the C gap from the 4 spot.

[quote user="WR4Life"]

That's why I was curious. From a 4 it would be very difficult to play 2 gaps. If its the case that it's compensating for the NT then it would almost be as if the NT has a two gap responsibility while the ends do not. It'd almost be impossible to cover the C gap from the 4 spot.[/quote]

It could have been playcall too, asked to either 2 gap over the OT (occasionally you see them 2 gap over the guard too) or to engage both guard + tackle, and while they arent two gapping, they arent supposed to be penetrating, either. Simply occupy blockers.

They do have some really good talent at OLB too, so perhaps they are less concerned with the C gap.

They do run an unusual scheme, at least they did under Pendergast. Arizona ran similar concepts when he was there

Went back and watched some of there defense and it seems like if one DE played 4 tech and tied up that gap by drawing guard+ tackle the other DE just two gapped over his OT. They switched up which DE did which. I suppose that is sort of like a line slant. Interesting concept. The DE which played 4 tech would almost always have a LB come in behind him going outside, which takes care of that C gap

Veteran

[quote user="slipknottin"]Went back and watched some of there defense and it seems like if one DE played 4 tech and tied up that gap by drawing guard+ tackle the other DE just two gapped over his OT. They switched up which DE did which. I suppose that is sort of like a line slant. Interesting concept. The DE which played 4 tech would almost always have a LB come in behind him going outside, which takes care of that C gap[/quote]

That makes sense to me. Did the alignment have anything to do with how the offense came out? (I.E. Did the 5 tech always play to the strong side and the 4 on the weak side or vice versa?)

Not sure. Two games I've been looking at are against 49ers and chargers. 49ers have used two TEs nearly every snap. And chargers have flexed Gates out wide nearly every snap.

The Chiefs have brought their safetys up on the line over the TEs quite a few times too

Veteran

Interesting. Unfortunately some of us will never be able to fully grasp or understand the complexities of how these coordinators run their defenses. Requires more hours of study and film than many of us can afford or have access to.

+ Reply to Thread