+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

TAKING ELI MANNING OFF ESPN 1050 IS THE RESULT OF GROWING GIANTS-JETS AIR WAVE WAR

TAKING ELI MANNING OFF ESPN 1050 IS THE RESULT OF GROWING GIANTS-JETS AIR WAVE WAR

Excerpt: "In early March, Eli Manning hosted an
    “Evening With Eli,” at the New York Athletic Club in conjunction with ESPN-1050.
    For eight years, the Giants’ two-time Super Bowl MVP participated in a weekly
    segment on the radio station.

At the dinner, both Manning and ESPN-1050 suits prominently announced they
    would happily extend their relationship for several more years. Two weeks later,
    according to radio and NFL sources, the relationship between Manning and
    ESPN-1050 was over.

ESPN-1050 was informed Manning would not be coming back as a regular on “The
    Michael Kay Show.” Instead, he was heading to WFAN, the Giants’ flagship radio
    station.

By all accounts, Manning did not make this decision on his own. He enjoyed
    doing his weekly spot and was compensated well. Money was not the issue. Manning
    also had no problem with the fact 1050 is the radio home of the Jets.

And during his 1050 tenure, no one at WFAN tried to lure him to the
    station.

Why did the situation change? Who put the kibosh on Manning continuing his
    relationship with 1050?

All paths lead to the increased flow of bad blood between the Jets and
    Giants. It finally occurred to Giants brass that having the face of their
    franchise as a featured voice on the radio home of the Jets was a terrible
    idea.

Although the Giants walked away from last season on top of the football
    world, management is still angered over Jet brass covering those Giants Super
    Bowl logos with curtains in MetLife Stadium before Jets hosted the Giants on
    Christmas Eve. They also haven’t forgotten how Gang Green put a picture of
    Manning being crushed from behind by Calvin Pace on the
    cover of their defensive playbook heading into that game.

“More than all that, I believe (Giants co-owner) John Mara was not exactly
    thrilled over Eli being on the Jets
    station throughout the Giants Super Bowl year,” the NFL source said.

The radio whereabouts of Giants players is likely not on Mara’s radar, but we
    could see how the Manning-1050 alliance eventually stuck in his craw. And if he
    did ask Manning to make the radio switch, what’s Eli going to say, “No”? Giants
    ownership has made their QB one of the NFL’s highest-paid players.

Nonetheless, the bad blood thing is still in play. After Manning jumped ship,
    ESPN-1050 tried to negotiate a deal with Victor Cruz. A source
    close to Cruz said he was told Giants players were now prohibited from being
    paid regulars “on a non-Giants station.”

Don’t discount WFAN, tired of the buzz and ratings ESPN-1050 was generating
    with the QB (remember Kay’s “elite Eli” interview), trying to exert whatever
    pressure it could to bring in Manning." Read more...
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

All-Pro

Re: TAKING ELI MANNING OFF ESPN 1050 IS THE RESULT OF GROWING GIANTS-JETS AIR WAVE WAR

Kay tried to set Eli up with that question before the season and it backfired. Unfortunately it gave Kay a lot of press. I don't think he cares even a little about football. He should just stick to baseball.

Veteran

Re: TAKING ELI MANNING OFF ESPN 1050 IS THE RESULT OF GROWING GIANTS-JETS AIR WAVE WAR

I find Kay mediocre at announcing baseball anyways.

His voice is pretty annoying.

Definitely no Vin Scully.

Lood forward to hearing him with Francessa.

Veteran

ok with me,, always felt kay read news paper articles about football and giants for information,, he doesnt know football at all,,,,,,

No problem with that at all.
    http://boards.giants.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25347&dateline=138526  4905 Get well, get back #80

Cant stand either one. One is a jet station that talked a good amount of Giants stuff, while the Giants station, barely ever talk about the giants, unless they knock them as most of those Jet fan hosts do.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. All it does it hurt the jets, but doesn't do us any good either way.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

You hit the nail right on the head........WFAN is suppose to be the "Giants" station but during the most of the season they talk about the Jets. Especially Boomer and Carton. Why those two clowns are on the station beats the hell out of me. Can't stomach that ball headed chicken f**ker Carton. The only reason I listen to WFAN during the season is when Joe B. has Carl Banks on and his analysis of the week's game. Carl Banks should have his own show. He's very informative and doesn't pull any punches. He'll tell you what when wrong with certain plays and how they should be corrected. He's real good with his analysis.
    Carton and Boomer on the other hand are trolls. Boomer isn't too bad but that idiot Carton is a joke and doesn't know diddly squat about football. He has no business being on a sport talk show.

All-Pro

[quote user="Evo'Ed"]I find Kay mediocre at announcing baseball anyways. His voice is pretty annoying. Definitely no Vin Scully.[/quote]

I think I am the only baseball fan that can't stand listening to Vin Scully call a game. Its.... just.... so...... borr......r......ing. He talks soooooo slow I nearly fall asleep. But I also hate John Sterling. He sounds like an idiot. Just call the game. Forget the punchline crap.

[quote user="BK07071"]You hit the nail right on the head........WFAN is suppose to be the "Giants" station but during the most of the season they talk about the Jets. Especially Boomer and Carton. Why those two clowns are on the station beats the hell out of me. Can't stomach that ball headed chicken f**ker Carton. The only reason I listen to WFAN during the season is when Joe B. has Carl Banks on and his analysis of the week's game. Carl Banks should have his own show. He's very informative and doesn't pull any punches. He'll tell you what when wrong with certain plays and how they should be corrected. He's real good with his analysis.
    Carton and Boomer on the other hand are trolls. Boomer isn't too bad but that idiot Carton is a joke and doesn't know diddly squat about football. He has no business being on a sport talk show.
    [/quote]

Carton is terrible, I thought that clown pledged to quit if the giants won the superbowl