+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Scout says Fleener “might be the most overrated guy in the draft”

Scout says Fleener “might be the most overrated guy in the draft”

Posted by Evan Silva on April 22, 2012, 3:33 PM EDT

AP
    Bob McGinn and Tyler Dunne have been churning out info-packed draft prospect rundowns in the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel over the past several days. McGinn is tight with a large number of league evaluators, and gets them to talk about players leading up to the draft. Some conversations are off the record, others off. Some reviews from the scouts are negative, and others are positive.

When reading the Journal-Sentinel‘s tight end rundown, one scout’s observations regarding Stanford tight end Coby Fleener caught our eye.

“He wasn’t even the best tight end on their team,” the scout said. “No. 11 [sophomore Levine Toilolo], that’s the real deal. [Fleener] might be the most overrated guy in the draft. He’s awful as a blocker.”

Blocking isn’t a strength of Fleener’s, and that’s pretty well known. But the scout also expressed skepticism about Fleener’s athleticism, which generated buzz at Stanford’s March 22 Pro Day.

“Despite his workout numbers he’s not really a quick-twitch, dymamic-moving guy. He’s a straight-line, build-up player,” the scout explained. “All these reports about him being an athlete and this and that, they’re assuming that because he ran fast. He’s really just a red-zone, jump-ball player.”

Re: Scout says Fleener “might be the most overrated guy in the draft”

I love reports a week before the draft from anonymous scouts saying so and so sucks, or so and so is the best ever.

Nothing this time of year really means anything.

[quote user="slipknottin"]I love reports a week before the draft from anonymous scouts saying so and so sucks, or so and so is the best ever.

Nothing this time of year really means anything.[/quote]Yeah he is probably a SF scout.

[quote user="slipknottin"]I love reports a week before the draft from anonymous scouts saying so and so sucks, or so and so is the best ever.

Nothing this time of year really means anything.[/quote]
    i agree.....just a pathetic attempt for a team that wants to get him in the 2nd round

Even if you say he is more like Greg Olsen, is a Greg Olsen type receiver that bad a deal for the giants with the last pick in the first?

The one season Olsen had in chicago with a good QB (Cutler) before Martz came in he put up 600+ yards and 8 TDs. And probably could have improved on that.

I still think it might be easier to integrate a TE as a redzone jump ball target than a 6'6 Barden.

I really question the validity of the report with the scout calling Fleener an "awful" blocker. IMO Fleener is an above average to good blocker. I challenge anyone to show me video that collaborates with this scouts assessment of him being an"awful" blocker.

How bout the scout who came out the other day and said Griffin wasn't as good a thrower as Mike Vick coming out...lol the guy just finished the season with a 72% completion rate....You know what Vicks was coming out of college? 54 lol

Veteran

[quote user="juice33s"]I really question the validity of the report with the scout calling Fleener an "awful" blocker. IMO Fleener is an above average to good blocker. I challenge anyone to show me video that collaborates with this scouts assessment of him being an"awful" blocker.
    [/quote]

Ask Nevada to. He can probably put one together for you.

I also remember reading how JPP is a 2nd round talent that's going to go higher than he deserves bcuz of the combine....

Doesn't matter we were never going to draft him