+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Draft Game

Re: Draft Game

[quote user="Coach Carter"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="Coach Carter"]So you are willing to trade the best pass-rushing end on the Giants and draft another defensive end? that would make us the Bills not the Giants - look at what they have been doing the past few years with running backs. Osi is a stud, give the man a bump in contract and see what he can do fully healthy. The guy has been playing on one leg, knee and hip for the past couple of years and have been very productive. You just don't find guys like that in the draft. I want a guard, tackle or center/guard with our first or second round pick. We need help on the inside. And I want a bruising running back.[/quote]

In a heartbeat.

Osi is a part time player for us. He's the third best DE on the team. It isn't a trade of Osi for a rookie. (by the way I said that I want a RB). Its an opportunity to free up almost $5MM in cap space. Money that could be used to sign Victor Cruz and also help with room to sign the draftees and other FA's.

And we don't have the cap room to resign Osi. I don't think (despite what the team line may be) its even a possibility. I think its either trade Osi now, or keep him for the last year of his deal and then let him go. Its not the end of the world if he stays and plays out his contract. But I'd prefer he be traded now.

And you mention that he's been playing hurt. Well he's hurt a lot and now he's passed 30. Do you think an older version of Osi will be healthier than the younger version was?

[/quote] Yes I do. Osi had the hip procedure one year and the knee the next. Those were his two major ailments. With that resolved, you will see an element he did not have the last two years - the chase. Osi could not run after he did his initial burst up-field. Also, you have to stop with this "third best defensive end" nonsense. Osi is being compared to Tuck and JPP, these guys are (all around) all-pro and possibly future hall of fame defensive ends. Yet Osi is still the best PASS RUSHER on the Giants. It isn't like being third best overall defensive end is an insult, it is all relative. Unless you work for the Giants, I don't want to hear anything about cap space, where there is a will, there is a way. The Giants got to and won the superbowl because of their pass rush and it will remain that way.[/quote]

Numbers are numbers. the cap is what it is.

"Where there's a will there's a way" is fantasy. You have to start cutting people in order to increase your cap space. We have reconfigured all the contracts we can.

Osi is a great pass rusher. Buts thats all he is. He's one dimentional. And he plays hard when he feels like it as well.

I really don't want to get into an argument about Osi. This thread is about picking who you want in the draft vs. who you think we'll draft.

Do you have a position on this or not?

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

All-Pro

Should draft BPA

Will draft BPA

While I drink a nice draft.

[quote user="TuckYou"]

Should draft BPA

Will draft BPA

While I drink a nice draft.

[/quote]

Come on. Put it on the line. Make a call.

Veteran

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="Coach Carter"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="Coach Carter"]So you are willing to trade the best pass-rushing end on the Giants and draft another defensive end? that would make us the Bills not the Giants - look at what they have been doing the past few years with running backs. Osi is a stud, give the man a bump in contract and see what he can do fully healthy. The guy has been playing on one leg, knee and hip for the past couple of years and have been very productive. You just don't find guys like that in the draft. I want a guard, tackle or center/guard with our first or second round pick. We need help on the inside. And I want a bruising running back.[/quote]

In a heartbeat.

Osi is a part time player for us.* He's the third best DE on the team.* It isn't a trade of Osi for a rookie.* (by the way I said that I want a RB).* Its an opportunity to free up almost $5MM in cap space.* Money that could be used to sign Victor Cruz and also help with room to sign the draftees and other FA's.

And we don't have the cap room to resign Osi.* I don't think (despite what the team line may be) its even a possibility.* I think its either trade Osi now, or keep him for the last year of his deal and then let him go.* Its not the end of the world if he stays and plays out his contract.* But I'd prefer he be traded now.

And you mention that he's been playing hurt.* Well he's hurt a lot and now he's passed 30.* Do you think an older version of Osi will be healthier than the younger version was?

[/quote] Yes I do. Osi had the hip procedure one year and the knee the next. Those were his two major ailments. With that resolved, you will see an element he did not have the last two years - the chase. Osi could not run after he did his initial burst up-field. Also, you have to stop with this "third best defensive end" nonsense. Osi is being compared to Tuck and JPP, these guys are (all around) all-pro and possibly future hall of fame defensive ends. Yet Osi is still the best PASS RUSHER on the Giants. It isn't like being third best overall defensive end is an insult, it is all relative. Unless you work for the Giants, I don't want to hear anything about cap space, where there is a will, there is a way. The Giants got to and won the superbowl because of their pass rush and it will remain that way.[/quote]

Numbers are numbers.* the cap is what it is.

"Where there's a will there's a way" is fantasy. You have to start cutting people in order to increase your cap space.* We have reconfigured all the contracts we can.

Osi is a great pass rusher.* Buts thats all he is.* He's one dimentional.* And he plays hard when he feels like it as well.

I really don't want to get into an argument about Osi.* This thread is about picking who you want in the draft vs. who you think we'll draft.

[/quote]

I want to keep Osi, cut/trade Kiwi and draft a guard, tackle or center/guard. Osi being one dimensional is an oversimplification of his abilities. Stopping the run does not mean you make the tackle. Also, Osi lines up vs the best athlete on the o-line on most plays.

When you make cap space, you don't get rid of your best players.

A passing league means more passing, which means more need for a pass rusher. Pay the man, and stop with the hate.

All-Pro

If they don't think he will be on the team next year it might be worth it to trade Osi.

Should draft: Jeffery, Hightower, or Worthy

Will draft: Nick Perry

but I'm ok with that too

[quote user="Coach Carter"][quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="Coach Carter"][quote user="Morehead State"]

In a heartbeat.

Osi is a part time player for us. He's the third best DE on the team. It isn't a trade of Osi for a rookie. (by the way I said that I want a RB). Its an opportunity to free up almost $5MM in cap space. Money that could be used to sign Victor Cruz and also help with room to sign the draftees and other FA's.

And we don't have the cap room to resign Osi. I don't think (despite what the team line may be) its even a possibility. I think its either trade Osi now, or keep him for the last year of his deal and then let him go. Its not the end of the world if he stays and plays out his contract. But I'd prefer he be traded now.

And you mention that he's been playing hurt. Well he's hurt a lot and now he's passed 30. Do you think an older version of Osi will be healthier than the younger version was?

Numbers are numbers. the cap is what it is.

"Where there's a will there's a way" is fantasy. You have to start cutting people in order to increase your cap space. We have reconfigured all the contracts we can.

Osi is a great pass rusher. Buts thats all he is. He's one dimentional. And he plays hard when he feels like it as well.

I really don't want to get into an argument about Osi. This thread is about picking who you want in the draft vs. who you think we'll draft.

[/quote] I want to keep Osi, cut/trade Kiwi and draft a guard, tackle or center/guard. Osi being one dimensional is an oversimplification of his abilities. Stopping the run does not mean you make the tackle. Also, Osi lines up vs the best athlete on the o-line on most plays. When you make cap space, you don't get rid of your best players. A passing league means more passing, which means more need for a pass rusher. Pay the man, and stop with the hate.[/quote]

I also think Osi hurts JPP's productivity. JPP needs to be at right DE. Osi moves him over to left end. I also am not crazy about Tuck at DT on passing downs.

Keeping Osi represents a misallocation of talant. Trade him, get cap space and a third round pick.

The long term future of the team with benefit. Plus the dope has already refused to show up for team workouts. He IS under contract you know. The perpetual "problem child" with continue through this season.

Bench Player

[quote user="Morehead State"]

OK fellas.* The boards are friggin dead.* Its the curse of being SB champs.* not much to whine about.

Maybe we can play "Should draft, will draft".

Started this in our thread.

Giants first round pick.

Should draft:* David Wilson

Will draft:* Chandler Jones

Anyone disagree with Good Ol' Morehead?* If so it might not be the first time.

[/quote]

I absolutely agree about david wilson, both that I would love to have him, and that I highly doubt we pick him, or doug martin, who would be my close second choice. It seems like nobody on these boards likes wilson all that much despite our lack of excitement at the RB position (no knock on bradshaw, I love the guy but lets be real), and despite the fact that him and martin seem to be very close in talent, but it seems that most people on these boards that would like an RB high unanimously want martin over wilson.

Not so sure I agree about chandler jones though. I think there is a good chance a relatively highly touted DT or OT falls to us and we end up taking them.

Should Draft: Coby Fleener

Will Draft: Devon Still

How about we add a new category: All bets are off if _________________ is sitting there at32. (try to keep it realistic . . . . )

I'll start the new category . . . . . All bets are off if Kendall Wright is sitting there at 32.

[quote user="GMENAGAIN"]

Should Draft: Coby Fleener

Will Draft: Devon Still

How about we add a new category: All bets are off if _________________ is sitting there at32. (try to keep it realistic . . . . )

I'll start the new category . . . . . All bets are off if Kendall Wright is sitting there at 32.

[/quote]

All bets off if Jonathan Martin is sitting there at 32.

PS: I would be dissapointed if we drafted Fleener (have we discussed this before?) The Bennett signing plus our lack of use of the TE in general in KG's offense suggests we will go another direction.

+ Reply to Thread