+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GIANTS' MARVIN AUSTIN IS HEALTHY AND EAGER TO GET BACK ON THE FIELD AFTER BEING OFF IT FOR TWO YEARS

GIANTS' MARVIN AUSTIN IS HEALTHY AND EAGER TO GET BACK ON THE FIELD AFTER BEING OFF IT FOR TWO YEARS

"December 26, 2009.

That's the last time Marvin Austin was on the field for a meaningful football
    game. It was the final game of his junior season at North Carolina, a 19-17 loss
    in the Meineke Car Care Bowl against Pittsburgh.

That turned out to be the defensive tackle's final game as a Tar Heel after
    he was suspended for his senior season before it even started. The Giants still took him in the second round
    in last year's draft. Then he tore his pectoral muscle in the Giants' second
    preseason game and was placed on the injured reserve list before his rookie
    season even started.

And just like that, another year without meaningful football.

"[It's] extremely tough," he said. "Just being out of football for two years
    is tough in itself and I just look at it as I got a great opportunity here. I
    just got to capitalize on the opportunity I have and try my best to do great
    today."

Austin says he is 100 percent healthy and eager to get on the field for a
    game that matters. Barring another setback, that won't happen until Sept. 5
    against the Cowboys – nearly three years after his final game at North Carolina
    -- so for now, he's satisfied with just being around his teammates and being
    part of a team.

"It's like a kid in the candy shop," Austin said last week during voluntary
    workouts. "It's time to go out there and just to be back on the field, be back
    in the weight room doing what I love is exciting."

Austin said he has a "pretty good" understanding of the defense, but admitted
    not being on the field has somewhat hindered his education.

"I wouldn't say it's hard to full understand it, but when you're not playing,
    it's different," he said. "It's harder to learn when you're not out there
    actually going through the motions and getting the calls and getting a feel and
    having the chemistry with the guys is definitely a lot harder."

Much
    like Prince Amukamara
    , the Giants' first-round pick last year, Austin will
    have to prove his worth despite the setbacks.

Last month, general manager Jerry
    Reese voiced some uncertainty about Austin
    in an interview with Sirius XM
    Radio.

“We’re worried about him a little bit,” Reese admitted. “He hasn’t played in
    such a long time now. He tore his pec. He’s been out for such a long time."

Austin thinks the pressure would've been on him no matter what.

"Playing football you should always feel like you have something to prove so
    I'm pretty sure every guy on the team, not just our draft class, has something
    to prove," he said. "It's not a collective thing where we sat down and said,
    'Our draft class, we need to do better.' It's just all of us need to step up."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

# 80

Re: GIANTS' MARVIN AUSTIN IS HEALTHY AND EAGER TO GET BACK ON THE FIELD AFTER BEING OFF IT FOR TWO YEARS

this is what i want to hear...i might be the most excited about seeing Austin more so than any other player on defense.

Re: GIANTS' MARVIN AUSTIN IS HEALTHY AND EAGER TO GET BACK ON THE FIELD AFTER BEING OFF IT FOR TWO YEARS

does anyone know if next season will be counted officially as his rookie season?

i dunno if im confusing this with college, but I thought i remembered a player who missed the entire regular season on IR, and the next season he played, and it was his rookie season.

maybe im confusing it with another sport but can anyone answer that for me?

[quote user="giantsfan420"]does anyone know if next season will be counted officially as his rookie season?

i dunno if im confusing this with college, but I thought i remembered a player who missed the entire regular season on IR, and the next season he played, and it was his rookie season.

maybe im confusing it with another sport but can anyone answer that for me?[/quote]

I highly doubt it. Otherwise, Victor Cruz would have had a ridiculous "rookie season" and gotten the rookie of the year award.

Prince and Marvin Austin will be looking to prove themselves this season.

[quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="giantsfan420"]does anyone know if next season will be counted officially as his rookie season?

maybe im confusing it with another sport but can anyone answer that for me?[/quote]

I highly doubt it. Otherwise, Victor Cruz would have had a ridiculous "rookie season" and gotten the rookie of the year award.

Prince and Marvin Austin will be looking to prove themselves this season.[/quote]

i believe cruz was actually activated early that season then placed on IR bc of a hammy issue.

I'm talking about put on IR before the season starts...i am almost positive i remember this happened to a player and he got some ROY votes

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="giantsfan420"]does anyone know if next season will be counted officially as his rookie season?

Prince and Marvin Austin will be looking to prove themselves this season.[/quote]

i believe cruz was actually activated early that season then placed on IR bc of a hammy issue.

I'm talking about put on IR before the season starts...i am almost positive i remember this happened to a player and he got some ROY votes[/quote]

i got it confused with baseball. u can be a 2nd year rookie if ur first year u amassed less than 150 AB

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="NYGRealityCheck"][quote user="giantsfan420"]does anyone know if next season will be counted officially as his rookie season?

I'm talking about put on IR before the season starts...i am almost positive i remember this happened to a player and he got some ROY votes[/quote]

i got it confused with baseball. u can be a 2nd year rookie if ur first year u amassed less than 150 AB[/quote]
    Happens in the NBA as well. Blake Griffin had his rookie season last year despite being drafted in 09.

And Cruz was stashed for that year. His injury didn't warrant putting him on IR. The Giants needed a roster spot and didn't want to cut him.

Hockey has a similar rule, where a player is eligible for the Rookie of the Year if he has not played more than 25 games in any single season, or 6 games in each of 2 separate seasons in any professional league. Haven't found anything like that for the NFL though.

i think the Giants have to act like he isnt on the team at this point. If a DT has good value early u take him. If he plays, great its gravy but I counting on him is something that U cant do

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]i think the Giants have to act like he isnt on the team at this point. If a DT has good value early u take him. If he plays, great its gravy but I counting on him is something that cant do[/quote]

thats a fair statement and i assume thats how JR is viewing the situation...but im holding onto the belief he could be downright terror to opposing OL