+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

TEN BEST DRAFT PICKS IN GIANTS' HISTORY

TEN BEST DRAFT PICKS IN GIANTS' HISTORY

"Since George Young took over as general manager of the New York Giants in 1979,
    the franchise has enjoyed enormous success. Young was succeeded by Ernie
    Accorsi, who was succeeded by Jerry Reese. All three men have made some stellar
    personnel moves over the years. And believe it or not, two of the top draft
    picks in franchise history (according to this list, at least) actually came
    before 1979.

There were some close calls that didn’t make the cut. You
    be the judge:

1. LB LAWRENCE TAYLOR, 1981, Round 1
    (2nd overall)

Getting LT with the second overall pick was
    a no-brainer – the Saints were one of only two NFL teams that did not have
    Taylor ranked as the best player in the draft, and they had the top pick (and
    took RB George Rogers). But the pick didn’t come without some drama. Taylor’s
    agent was demanding big money, and some veteran Giants were threatening to
    boycott if a rookie came in and made more money than them before playing a game.
    But Young was unfazed – declaring that Taylor was a better prospect than ***
    Butkus. As usual, Young was right. Off-field issues notwithstanding, Taylor went
    on to be the greatest player in team history.

2. QB PHIL SIMMS,
    1979, Round 1 (7th overall)

No doubt Simms endured
    growing pains and took a while to establish himself – heck, Bill Parcells once
    picked Scott Brunner over him as the starter. But the fair-haired Simms became a
    star. More notably, he is the symbol of a franchise’s resurrection. Following
    the infamous “Miracle at the Meadowlands,” the most devastating loss in Giants
    history, the front office was blown up. Young was brought in and Simms was his
    first draft pick. The rest, as they say, is history.

One interesting
    side note: Another smart personnel guy who really liked Simms in that draft was
    San Francisco 49ers coach Bill Walsh. Simms, from tiny Morehead State, was not
    expected to be such a high draft pick. Walsh was targeting Simms for the third
    round. And if Simms had lasted that long, the 49ers would have taken him instead
    of the quarterback they “settled” on: Joe Montana.

3. DE MICHAEL
    STRAHAN, 1993, Round 2 (40th overall)

The Giants didn’t
    have a first-round pick in ’93, but they sure made up for it with this pick.
    Strahan’s small-school background (Texas Southern) is what kept him on the board
    this long. He didn’t blossom right away, but when his 15-year career was over,
    he ended up with 141.5 sacks (including an NFL-record 22.5 in 2001). Next year,
    he’ll be in Canton.

4. LB HARRY CARSON, 1976, Round 4
    (105th overall)

Despite the presence of Lawrence Taylor,
    former Giants defensive coordinator Bill Belichick called Carson the best
    linebacker he ever coached. Carson was a rock in the middle of those great
    Giants defenses, going to nine Pro Bowls in his 13 NFL seasons and eventually
    landing in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

5. DE GEORGE MARTIN,
    1975, Round 11, 262nd overall)
    Talk about return on
    investment. For a player drafted 262nd overall, Martin missed just
    six games in 14 seasons (all with the Giants). He set an NFL record for
    defensive linemen with six career defensive touchdowns (a mark since broken by
    Jason Taylor), and he was a team captain in Super Bowl XXI, in which he sacked
    John Elway for a safety.

6. TE MARK BAVARO, 1985, Round 4 (100th
    overall)

Forget about the stats. Bavaro’s toughness and
    determination epitomized the two Super Bowl-winning teams he was a part of.
    Remember the catch-and-run Bavaro made in a 1986 Monday night game against San
    Francisco – when he dragged a half-dozen 49ers on his back for 20 yards? If that
    were the only play he ever made, Bavaro would have been worth that fourth-round
    draft pick.

7. DE JASON PIERRE-PAUL, 2010, Round 1
    (15th overall)

The ultimate example of the draft’s “best
    available athlete” philosophy. By all accounts, Pierre-Paul was a project who
    needed time to develop. By all accounts, the defensive line was a strength for
    the Giants. But Reese couldn’t pass on drafting a potential star, and it didn’t
    take long at all for Pierre-Paul to pay dividends. After just two seasons, he’s
    become a force to reckon with. Making this pick even more impressive: Some
    draftniks had the Giants taking Georgia Tech DE Derrick Morgan, a more polished
    prospect; Morgan went to Tennessee with the very next pick, but he is nowhere
    near Pierre-Paul’s class.

8. RB JOE MORRIS, 1982, Round 2
    (45th overall)

After taking a running back with their
    first-round pick in ’82 – Butch Woolfolk of Michigan – it seemed odd that the
    Giants came back with another RB in the second. Good thing they did. Woolfolk
    did little in three seasons with the Giants. Morris, meanwhile, scored 21
    rushing touchdowns in 1985 and then rushed for 1,516 yards a year
    later.

9. RB AHMAD BRADSHAW, 2007, Round 7 (250th
    overall)

When it comes to players from Marshall whose draft stock
    dropped due to off-field issues, Randy Moss has nothing on Bradshaw. At least
    Moss was still a first-round pick. Bradshaw was the 26th and final
    running back drafted in ’07. All he’s done since then is average 4.6 yards per
    carry and help the Giants win a pair of Super Bowls.

10. RB
    DAVID MEGGETT, 1989, Round 5 (132nd overall)

Bill
    Parcells was actually pissed when Giants GM George Young picked this undersized
    (5-7) all-purpose back. But the Tuna grew to love the versatile Meggett – so
    much so that he brought him along on his next two coaching stops, New England
    and the Jets."

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

Re: TEN BEST DRAFT PICKS IN GIANTS' HISTORY

Armstead should be on that list I think.Even Justin Tuck better value then Meggett

Veteran

Where the Hell is Eli??

how the hell is eli not on this list???????

i'd rank LT and Eli 1a and 1b...baffled by his exclusion...

[quote user="GMenNY21"]Where the Hell is Eli??[/quote]

Eli wasn't drafted by the Giants! Draft day trade.

I love Ahmad, but I feel Hakeem nicks was a better pick them him.

Still a good list. If only the chargers weren't pricks and just let us draft Eli like we wanted lol
    "...two minute drill at the end of each quarter, Ya'know with the wind like this blowing mooch and marshall into the ocean...If that's behind me I think were getting 3 from 70 so holla at your boy. IF YOU DON"T PICK ME THAT'S A JOKE RIGHT?" - Justin Tucker, Ravens kicker

Complain?, ain't Nobody got time for dat!

GO GIANTS!

[quote user="giantsfan420"]how the hell is eli not on this list???????

i'd rank LT and Eli 1a and 1b...baffled by his exclusion...[/quote]

oh yeah, wow im a moron. we technically didnt draft eli i guess. unofficially we did tho

Lol I wouldn't have bradshaw on the top ten

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="giantsfan420"]how the hell is eli not on this list??????? i'd rank LT and Eli 1a and 1b...baffled by his exclusion...[/quote] oh yeah, wow im a moron. we technically didnt draft eli i guess. unofficially we did tho[/quote]

Thats ok we will give you a pass since 4/20 was just a few days ago.

Maybe I'm just being picky here but I wouldn't consider LT to be the best DRAFT PICK in Giants history. To most sane people, he was the best player in that draft and anyone with a quarter of a brain would of selected him #1 overall. I put more respect in finding late round players like Bradshaw and Diehl who contribute than getting the obviously good players. Just my two cents.