+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Mayocks Top 100 Players..

Re: Mayocks Top 100 Players..

I think it's more about watching film then being swayed by public opinion. He has Don'ta Hightower as the #15 player... Most (not me!) have been saying he may drop out of the first round. He has Kendall Wright rated higher than anyone I have seen. Devon Still at 42 while most have him going first round. Dre Kirkpatrick as the 3rd best CB while most have him as clearly the 2nd. There are a few I question, like Poe, who I think isn't deserving of a first round pick and he may have jumped on the hype train for.

[quote user="critters"]I think it's more about watching film then being swayed by public opinion. He has Don'ta Hightower as the #15 player... Most (not me!) have been saying he may drop out of the first round. He has Kendall Wright rated higher than anyone I have seen. Devon Still at 42 while most have him going first round. Dre Kirkpatrick as the 3rd best CB while most have him as clearly the 2nd. There are a few I question, like Poe, who I think isn't deserving of a first round pick and he may have jumped on the hype train for.
    [/quote]

Ehh your point has a bit of a logic flaw though. This is not a mock, nor does a guy being rated 17th mean he is likely to be picked at 17. Similarly, because a guy is rated 20th does not make him a 1st rounder. Position, among other things, affects value. This top 100 by Mayock is purely a player ranking without regarding position or any other factors.

Ryan Tannehill is rated 19th on Mayocks board compared to Doug Martin at 17. Yet few actually believe Doug will go before Ryan.

David Wilson is the 33rd ranked player and yet it is unlikely he is selected before some of the guys all the way up to 50 simply based on position.

Furthermore, depth of class affects value too. If people know the DT class is extremely deep and they have a need at DT and OT they may pass on the DT until a later round simply because the OT class isnt as deep and they wont have an opportunity to fill that need in later rounds.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[quote user="JJC7301"]He's got Doug Martin at 17, but many mocks have him falling to the 2nd round. I'd love to have Martin at number 32.[/quote] How come a couple months ago when i had said i believe Martin was the 2nd best RB behind Richardson, well before it was seemingly more of a consensus, no one listened to me???lolj/k.. But ya, i also said he would rise into 1st rd considerations, and this was when he was perdicted by some as a 3rd rder... What i'm saying is, the kids mad good, and i'm glad people caught on.. He litteraly can do everything, including KR"s... As i've always said, hes the next in line of MJD/R.RICE, and teams are sick of letting those guys pass em by, only to wonder how they did, a couple yrs later..</p>

</p>

Doug Martin is the guy i'm hoping for at pick 32, outside of Whitney Mercilus, whos another one i said would reach 1st rd months ago.. But, hes rised to far, and very doubtful he gets to us.. Those are my 2guys right there, Martin and Mercilus.. If i was a GM, those would be the 2guys i'd have realistaclly at the top of my board, and then i'd fill it out from there on...</p>[/quote]

You def deserve your due on Doug Martin. You have been screaming him from mountain tops for months now, back when people were saying he is a 3rd rounder. I remember you saying he would rise similar to Ryan Mathews pre-draft rise.

I think you also got Fletcher Cox right too. He was always a top 5 DT, many are regarding him as the top DT in the draft now.

I have been saying for some time now that Chandler Jones was undervalued when people were saying he wasnt a 1st round talent. I also said a few months ago, when people thought he would be a top 15 pick, that Andre Branch was being overvalued. I still think he is a good player, but Brandon Thompson deserved more credit for Branch's production than people were recognizing. Another guy you and I both agreed on that analysts now seem to be coming around to our way of thinking is Stephen Gilmore. He might be the fastest riser in the draft of late.

Im also gonna take claim to 1 last guy who wasnt even on Mayocks top 100 who I said months ago was being greatly overvalued, and that is Markelle Martin. Many analysts in January had him as the top safety in the draft. I never saw it that way and have always said he looks to me like a 3rd round prospect. I have said repeatedly, Mark Barron aside, I do not much care for this safety class, particularly if you are talking about free safeties. It is a terrible FS class. Considering how much and how often teams tried to throw against OSU this year, coupled with just how bad OSU's pass defense was, I do not think Markelle made nearly enough plays.

Lastly, And I know im not alone on this 1 as many have said it with me, but I have been saying that Zach Brown was highly overrated and that those who want him as our 1st round pick are crazy.

1 thing that is clear to me seeing Mayock's list is he still values film over combine stars.

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="critters"]I think it's more about watching film then being swayed by public opinion. He has Don'ta Hightower as the #15 player... Most (not me!) have been saying he may drop out of the first round. He has Kendall Wright rated higher than anyone I have seen. Devon Still at 42 while most have him going first round. Dre Kirkpatrick as the 3rd best CB while most have him as clearly the 2nd. There are a few I question, like Poe, who I think isn't deserving of a first round pick and he may have jumped on the hype train for.
    [/quote]

Ehh your point has a bit of a logic flaw though. This is not a mock, nor does a guy being rated 17th mean he is likely to be picked at 17. Similarly, because a guy is rated 20th does not make him a 1st rounder. Position, among other things, affects value. This top 100 by Mayock is purely a player ranking without regarding position or any other factors.

Ryan Tannehill is rated 19th on Mayocks board compared to Doug Martin at 17. Yet few actually believe Doug will go before Ryan.

David Wilson is the 33rd ranked player and yet it is unlikely he is selected before some of the guys all the way up to 50 simply based on position.

Furthermore, depth of class affects value too. If people know the DT class is extremely deep and they have a need at DT and OT they may pass on the DT until a later round simply because the OT class isnt as deep and they wont have an opportunity to fill that need in later rounds.

[/quote]

I didn't think a rating meant where they would be drafted. I'm implying I think his ranking of Still means he doesn't think he should be drafted in the first round, where most people are projecting him. He has 4 DTs ranked ahead of him. I understand team needs define where a player will go. With Tannehill, he has him as the 19th ranked player but has said he is a borderline first round, should be a 2nd round pick.

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[quote user="JJC7301"]He's got Doug Martin at 17, but many mocks have him falling to the 2nd round. I'd love to have Martin at number 32.[/quote] How come a couple months ago when i had said i believe Martin was the 2nd best RB behind Richardson, well before it was seemingly more of a consensus, no one listened to me???lolj/k.. But ya, i also said he would rise into 1st rd considerations, and this was when he was perdicted by some as a 3rd rder... What i'm saying is, the kids mad good, and i'm glad people caught on.. He litteraly can do everything, including KR"s... As i've always said, hes the next in line of MJD/R.RICE, and teams are sick of letting those guys pass em by, only to wonder how they did, a couple yrs later..</p>

</p>

Doug Martin is the guy i'm hoping for at pick 32, outside of Whitney Mercilus, whos another one i said would reach 1st rd months ago.. But, hes rised to far, and very doubtful he gets to us.. Those are my 2guys right there, Martin and Mercilus.. If i was a GM, those would be the 2guys i'd have realistaclly at the top of my board, and then i'd fill it out from there on...</p>[/quote]

You def deserve your due on Doug Martin. You have been screaming him from mountain tops for months now, back when people were saying he is a 3rd rounder. I remember you saying he would rise similar to Ryan Mathews pre-draft rise.

I think you also got Fletcher Cox right too. He was always a top 5 DT, many are regarding him as the top DT in the draft now.

I have been saying for some time now that Chandler Jones was undervalued when people were saying he wasnt a 1st round talent. I also said a few months ago, when people thought he would be a top 15 pick, that Andre Branch was being overvalued. I still think he is a good player, but Brandon Thompson deserved more credit for Branch's production than people were recognizing. Another guy you and I both agreed on that analysts now seem to be coming around to our way of thinking is Stephen Gilmore. He might be the fastest riser in the draft of late.

Im also gonna take claim to 1 last guy who wasnt even on Mayocks top 100 who I said months ago was being greatly overvalued, and that is Markelle Martin. Many analysts in January had him as the top safety in the draft. I never saw it that way and have always said he looks to me like a 3rd round prospect. I have said repeatedly, Mark Barron aside, I do not much care for this safety class, particularly if you are talking about free safeties. It is a terrible FS class. Considering how much and how often teams tried to throw against OSU this year, coupled with just how bad OSU's pass defense was, I do not think Markelle made nearly enough plays.

Lastly, And I know im not alone on this 1 as many have said it with me, but I have been saying that Zach Brown was highly overrated and that those who want him as our 1st round pick are crazy.

1 thing that is clear to me seeing Mayock's list is he still values film over combine stars.
    [/quote]

Who said Martin was the top safety in this draft? So I know who to ignore. I have never heard anyone suggest anyone other than Mark Barron was the top safety in this draft. I agree though, down year for safeties.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[quote user="JJC7301"]He's got Doug Martin at 17, but many mocks have him falling to the 2nd round. I'd love to have Martin at number 32.[/quote] How come a couple months ago when i had said i believe Martin was the 2nd best RB behind Richardson, well before it was seemingly more of a consensus, no one listened to me???lol*j/k..*** But ya, i also said he would rise into 1st rd considerations, and this was when he was perdicted by some as a 3rd rder...* What i'm saying is, the kids mad good, and i'm glad people caught on.. He litteraly can do everything, including KR"s...** As i've always said, hes* the next in line of MJD/R.RICE, and teams are sick of letting those guys pass em by,* only to wonder how they did, a couple yrs later..</P>

*</P>

*Doug Martin is the guy i'm hoping for at pick 32, outside of Whitney Mercilus, whos another one i said would reach 1st rd months ago..* But, hes rised to far, and very doubtful he gets to us.. Those are my 2guys right there, Martin and Mercilus.. If i was a GM, those would be the 2guys i'd have realistaclly at the top of my board, and then i'd fill it out from there on...</P>[/quote]
    Yeah, I've been reading a lot of good reports on him recently. I didn't want a RB in the 1st, but he sounds like an all around excellent player with real leadership skills. Plus, we've lost a lot of depth on O this off-season, so I wouldn't mind taking a gem like this guy.

I'm sold. I think Mayock, and yourself, are right -- Martin is worthy of a top-half of the draft pick.

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[quote user="JJC7301"]He's got Doug Martin at 17, but many mocks have him falling to the 2nd round. I'd love to have Martin at number 32.[/quote] How come a couple months ago when i had said i believe Martin was the 2nd best RB behind Richardson, well before it was seemingly more of a consensus, no one listened to me???lolj/k.. But ya, i also said he would rise into 1st rd considerations, and this was when he was perdicted by some as a 3rd rder... What i'm saying is, the kids mad good, and i'm glad people caught on.. He litteraly can do everything, including KR"s... As i've always said, hes the next in line of MJD/R.RICE, and teams are sick of letting those guys pass em by, only to wonder how they did, a couple yrs later..</P>

</P>

Doug Martin is the guy i'm hoping for at pick 32, outside of Whitney Mercilus, whos another one i said would reach 1st rd months ago.. But, hes rised to far, and very doubtful he gets to us.. Those are my 2guys right there, Martin and Mercilus.. If i was a GM, those would be the 2guys i'd have realistaclly at the top of my board, and then i'd fill it out from there on...</P>

[/quote]

[/quote] ya, you definetly were on chandler jones before most, as far as thinking he'd rise.. I'll take claim to Whitney Mercilus on the DE note.. I actually like Markelle Martin.. I like his speed/ability to lay the wood.. I could see him turning momentum with monster hits on sundays.. I like em more then i do Brandon Taylor... I would probably put martin 2nd, behind Harrison Smith in my S rankings.. </P>

As far as Zach Brown, i agree.. I've kinda always been Ho-Hum on him.. I like playmakers, and guys who have football instincts more then anything else, and also smarts... Zach Brown has one thing going for him, and thats elite athletic ability.. I didn't like the ILLINOIS LB last yr, that many on here did, and i spoke adamently about that before the draft, and i feel like Brown is similar, as hes kinda making his move based on Athletic Ability and Potential, and not enough on field plays...</P>

+ Reply to Thread