+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What if the giants just dont pick?

Re: What if the giants just dont pick?

Interesting, but doesn't seem like a Giants move . . . .

Agreed, it is not really a Giants type maneuver.

But I still wish the NFL would go back to the old format of Draft Day starting at Noon on Saturday, rounds 1-3 on first day, etc.

I hate this new format.

Lots of confusion in this thread.

If a team does not select during its alloted time, they dont lose their pick, they are allowed to place their pick at any point.

Last year the ravens actually let time expire on their pick, and the Chiefs ran up and stuck in their draft pick before them. Then the ravens drafted right after KC.

As for STL being able to draft before the giants the following day, all the giants would have to do is submit their pick before the draft technically opens, since they have priority over STL, they get their choice still.

As for STL being able to draft again on the first day, not possible. They would be adding an extra pick and extra time slot to the first round. The league has not ruled on this already, which means if it does happen during the draft the league can not extend the draft without first ruling on it. If the league does rule on it right then, then the giants simply submit their pick and STL would go back to picking the following day.

Veteran

[quote user="slipknottin"]Lots of confusion in this thread.

If a team does not select during its alloted time, they dont lose their pick, they are allowed to place their pick at any point.

Last year the ravens actually let time expire on their pick, and the Chiefs ran up and stuck in their draft pick before them. Then the ravens drafted right after KC.

As for STL being able to draft before the giants the following day, all the giants would have to do is submit their pick before the draft technically opens, since they have priority over STL, they get their choice still.

As for STL being able to draft again on the first day, not possible. They would be adding an extra pick and extra time slot to the first round. The league has not ruled on this already, which means if it does happen during the draft the league can not extend the draft without first ruling on it. If the league does rule on it right then, then the giants simply submit their pick and STL would go back to picking the following day.[/quote]What time does the second round start the next day?

[quote user="jjj45"]What time does the second round start the next day?
    [/quote]

7 PM

[quote user="slipknottin"]jmike brought this up a couple days ago.

Last pick of the first round, they could just choose not to select anyone and let time expire. They would then have the entire night to work trades, figure out what player they would like to select, etc.

They didnt have this opportunity in 2008 because then the first draft day was 1st and 2nd round combined. (technically they werent picking 32nd that year either, but that didnt make a functional difference)[/quote]

I would think there would be something in place to prevent this kind of situation.

But stranger things have happened.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

Truth is that unless one of us has heard from a league official, we're all just speculating what will happen. I doubt the Giants F.O. would play games with the NFL, given the seemingly "cordial" relationship between Mara and Goodell. Why risk that for a something relatively value-less.

But I think if the Giants did (on purpose or on accident) go past the time limit, the league should do what they've always done when a team does this. They put the next-up team "on the clock".

Since the Giants are wrapping-up Round 1, that (in my mind) would mean shutting off the cameras and lights and sending all the football people to their hotels. Then when Day 2 opens, Rams would be "on the clock", with first priority to get a pick in (in the opening moments).

We need our coaches to assign playing time based on something other than player salary.

[quote user="RagTime Blue"]They put the next-up team "on the clock".

Since the Giants are wrapping-up Round 1, that (in my mind) would mean shutting off the cameras and lights and sending all the football people to their hotels.* Then when Day 2 opens, Rams would be "on the clock", with first priority to get a pick in (in the opening moments).

[/quote]

Even if they put the next team on the clock, the previous team still is able to pick before them. The team that passes on its pick always has the priority pick.

And I dont see how this is going to offend the NFL or something like that. Giants are abiding by the rules.

Bench Player

That's not true; if a team doesn't get it's pick in by the allocated time - the next team is on the clock!!

[quote user="Harlem2va"]That's not true; if a team doesn't get it's pick in by the allocated time - the next team is on the clock!![/quote]

the next team is on the clock, but the team who didnt pick can put its pick in first.

+ Reply to Thread