+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: What if the giants just dont pick?

But the clock doesn't START until the next day, that's the beauty of this strategy. You'd have tons of time for teams to talk trade and maybe pick up an extra pick. If nothing good comes then you just make your pick.

That said, I bet the league already has something in place that says the first round must be concluded Thursday, and no one is allowed to pass over night. If they don't they might after someone inside reads this thread, LOL. Because it's not just the last guy, the Pats could do it with nearly the same effectiveness, as could the 49ers and several other late drafting teams.

Veteran

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="jjj45"]What time does the second round start the next day?
    [/quote]

7 PM[/quote]So then theoretically you could have all day to decide who to draft.

All-Pro

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Harlem2va"]That's not true; if a team doesn't get it's pick in by the allocated time - the next team is on the clock!![/quote]

the next team is on the clock, but the team who didnt pick can put its pick in first.[/quote]
    Tweet garafalo or something

[quote user="lawl"]
    Tweet garafalo or something[/quote]

asking what?

All-Pro

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="lawl"]
    Tweet garafalo or something[/quote]

asking what?[/quote]

What if the giants don't pick and use the extra time as leverage. (go on to explain how they have nothing to lose in doing so)

now that I have had some time to think about it. I'm sure the league would say some BS about it going against the "spirit"of the draft. Akin to penalizing Dallas and Washington when no written rule was in place.

It is a pretty shady thing to do. Consider if Weeden is still available and the Giants want to trade back. This gives them almost a full day to get a deal done. Slick way to work around the current rules but is it fair for the 32nd pick to have such an advantage?

My guess would be once the giants time runs out the rams can make a pick and after either team makes a pick then the night ends. If the rams make the pick then when they start up the next day when they start up the giants can pick but the colts can also put in their pick before the giants so i think it would just be a continuation of that until the giants made their pick

This has been clarified by Ralph Vacchiano

It turns out a team can not pass out of one day and into the next. The
    Giants absolutely have to make a pick tonight, if they don't trade it

If they let the clock run out, the Rams (who
    have the 1st pick of Round 2) will have the option to make their next
    pick immediately but the Giants would still have to make a pick before the night ends.