+ Reply to Thread

The Big Blue Blueprint

Good read by Peter King today on the Giants philosophy

"The Big Blue Blueprint
    While football nation shifts into draft overdrive, the Giants go about business their own way, with no headlines and no hype. How has the recent two-time Super Bowl winner been built? Through teamwork among the decision makers—and a knack for finding treasures in the late rounds and beyond
    PETER KING"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...96/1/index.htm

Re: The Big Blue Blueprint

Awesome ready by Peter King on how we do our business..love it..

[quote user="idiotekniQues"]Good read by Peter King today on the Giants philosophy
    Excerpt from the article:
    "The Big Blue Blueprint
    While football nation shifts into draft overdrive, the Giants go about business their own way, with no headlines and no hype. How has the recent two-time Super Bowl winner been built? Through teamwork among the decision makers—and a knack for finding treasures in the late rounds and beyond
    PETER KING"

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...96/1/index.htm[/quote]

"Reese, Coughlin and Mara have the same team-building philosophy as predecessors George Young, Bill Parcells and Wellington Mara a generation ago: get big people up front on both sides of the ball, be able to run the ball late every season when the weather gets dodgy, and find a quarterback whose passes can cut through that weather. And on defense the front seven takes precedence over the secondary, sending waves of rushers at the opposing QB."

I tend to disagree about the team philosophy. I think Reese and TC have tweaked the philosophy to address the popularity of pass heavy offenses in the league. The secondary is no longer a secondary concern. We haven't drafted a big physical type of O-linemen in a while. We seem to be attracted to the athletic type versus the powerful O-linemen. They do good in pass protection but struggle run blocking.

Going in to 2012 we are defined by the pass game. I think this is a change in the right direction. You need a smash mouth defense to play smash mouth offense. Our defense is good but not great and our offense is great.

The Parcells team played Smash mouth football and shutout defense. That's clearly not who we are now under TC. TC has always been a proponent of a big play passing game while Parcells never really relied on the deep ball as much as we do now.
    In the tough times we find out who we are.

Great read. Thanks for posting it.

I do like how the Giants are patient and never make that big star spalsh just for the sake of it. Other teams just go for the huge name without thought about whether they fit on their team or not. It is sort of the lunch pail mentality from our front office.

They also never jump the gun on our own free agents.

The Steelers and Patriots for the most part are similar. Though the Patriots have signed some star power in recent years(Ochocinco and Moss) they do not feature these guys.

Giants are one of the most well run organizations in SPORTS.

[quote user="Rat_bastich"]I do like how the Giants are patient and never make that big star spalsh just for the sake of it. Other teams just go for the huge name without thought about whether they fit on their team or not. It is sort of the lunch pail mentality from our front office.

.[/quote]

**COUGH** JETS **COUGH**

All-Pro

[quote user="Rat_bastich"]I do like how the Giants are patient and never make that big star spalsh just for the sake of it. Other teams just go for the huge name without thought about whether they fit on their team or not. It is sort of the lunch pail mentality from our front office. They also never jump the gun on our own free agents. The Steelers and Patriots for the most part are similar. Though the Patriots have signed some star power in recent years(Ochocinco and Moss) they do not feature these guys.[/quote]

i think Patient vs. Impatient is at the heart of it all

and i think the fact that we had success both pre-salary cap/FA and post says something about how solid our philosophy is

Dallas was great pre, but has struggled post

what i see in the NFL is a pattern where good solid players generally give you more value than their intial contracts, but often less value than their subsequent contracts

not to keep going back to the Osi situation, but he has given us more than what we gave him in his 7 year deal ... but it is almost assured that the next contract and probably the next team ... well they will end up getting less value from him than what they sign him for

so wherever possible .. you want to be getting more bang for the buck