+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Giants Top 5 Targets for Round 1...... bank it!

Re: Giants Top 5 Targets for Round 1...... bank it!

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"]
    So untrue.

Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson.

Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice).[/quote]

I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better.

Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano[/quote]

My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha.

The trick is who will emerge in the NFL ... I could certainly be wrong (and admittedly am the worst judge of college talent translating to the pro level).

But what I see when I look at Doug Martin is MJD or Ray Rice (and Doug Martin looks a ton more impressive then Ray Rice did in college (Rutgers fan here)).

I like small thick backs (heh) who have great balance and low centers of gravity. They seem to do well in the NFL.

But I would be ok with Turbin in the 3rd as well and I think a power rusher would compliment AB better in fact.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"] So untrue. Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson. Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice).[/quote] I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better. Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano[/quote] My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha. The trick is who will emerge in the NFL ... I could certainly be wrong (and admittedly am the worst judge of college talent translating to the pro level). But what I see when I look at Doug Martin is MJD or Ray Rice (and Doug Martin looks a ton more impressive then Ray Rice did in college (Rutgers fan here)). I like small thick backs (heh) who have great balance and low centers of gravity. They seem to do well in the NFL. But I would be ok with Turbin in the 3rd as well and I think he would compliment AB better in fact.[/quote]

I thought Ray Rice was by far the best pro prospect at RB in years. He was absolutely great at Rutgers.

I'm not patting myself on the back because I thought Glen Foley was the next Dan Marino.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"] So untrue. Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson. Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice).[/quote] I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better. Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano[/quote]

Thats really hard to tell.* Ray Rice went in the second and I actually thought going into his last season at Rutgers he would come out as the #1 pick in the draft.*

Decent backs are very common and therefore not especially valuable.* Great backs are huge on an NFL team.* If a GM thinks a guy can be great, they should take him early if they have to.

[/quote]

Exactly ... if you think you have a back who could explode on the scene, you grab him.

I think Doug Martin could be that guy.

Of course having said that, I just ruined his NFL career.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"] So untrue. Martin is heads and tails better then all cut back runners in this draft with the possible exception of David Wilson. Put them next to eachother and Martin definitely blows away the competition (and the only reason he isn't the #1 back is because Richardson has both ability and prototypical size (and I think Martin actually may win here if he proves to be another MJD or Ray Rice).[/quote] I just disagree. I watch them all and I see nothing special about Wilson or Martin compared to the later backs. Slightly better players yes, but not that much better. Im not the only one who feels this way either - "Want a RB at 32? Several scouts tell me there's equal value in several RBs being projected as second-, third-, and even later-round picks." - Vacchiano[/quote] My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha. The trick is who will emerge in the NFL ... I could certainly be wrong (and admittedly am the worst judge of college talent translating to the pro level). But what I see when I look at Doug Martin is MJD or Ray Rice (and Doug Martin looks a ton more impressive then Ray Rice did in college (Rutgers fan here)). I like small thick backs (heh) who have great balance and low centers of gravity. They seem to do well in the NFL. But I would be ok with Turbin in the 3rd as well and I think he would compliment AB better in fact.[/quote]

I thought Ray Rice was by far the best pro prospect at RB in years.* He was absolutely great at Rutgers.

I'm not patting myself on the back because I thought Glen Foley was the next Dan Marino.

[/quote]

I think if RR performed half as well at Rutgers as he has on the Ravens, Rutgers would have only lost a national championship bid by being screwed by the BCS.

RR is a great example of a RB translating to the NFL and how poor my judgment is on that lol.

[quote user="Kruunch"]

My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha.[/quote]

Had nothing to do with Vacchiano.

I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me.

How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year.

All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"] My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha.[/quote] Had nothing to do with Vacchiano. I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me. How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year. All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks.[/quote]

But I bet there are plenty of teams who passed on them and wish they hadn't.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Shockeyitus"]1 - Coby Fleener 2 - Doug Martin 3 - Donta Hightower 4 - Devon Still 5 - Chandler Jones One of these guys will be on our roster Thursday night.[/quote]

I see a vey low chance for Fleener, (a reach at 32) less of a chance for Hightower because he'll probably be gone, and it also looks like Jones might be gone too.* That leaves Martin and Still.* I'd prefer Martin but I'd prefer David Wilson over Martin.* If Jonathan Martin is there I think we would snap him up in a heartbeat.

Best chance of the 5 is probably Still and then Martin.

[/quote]
    It's precisely the way I see it and I think you cover all the bases. That been said if for any reason someone ( and there's a lot of thread around about the subject ) the Giants like slides all bets are off.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

[/quote]

You cant draft in hindsight. Im sure plenty of teams would have loved to draft Victor Cruz in the 7th round, does that mean the next 7th round WR they draft will be as good as Cruz? Obviously not.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[/quote] You cant draft in hindsight. Im sure plenty of teams would have loved to draft Victor Cruz in the 7th round, does that mean the next 7th round WR they draft will be as good as Cruz? Obviously not.[/quote]

My point is that if you think a guy can be special you can't say "we can get someone almost as good in later rounds". If they think David Wilson or Doug Martin are special, they can't go throught that rationalization. they have to pull the trigger at 32.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Morehead State"] If they think David Wilson or Doug Martin are special, they can't go throught that rationalization.* they have to pull the trigger at 32.

[/quote]

I agree completely. I just dont see Wilson or Martin as close to being "special". I see them as slightly better than 3rd or 4th round guys

+ Reply to Thread