+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Giants Top 5 Targets for Round 1...... bank it!

Re: Giants Top 5 Targets for Round 1...... bank it!

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"]

My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha.[/quote]

Had nothing to do with Vacchiano.

I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me.

How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year.

All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks.[/quote]

I absolutely agree. And I think the trend is starting to catch up to the draft projections (that and this year isn't deep in RBs).

I do think Martin is one of those rare talents, but as I said, that might just be a case of me watching him and seeing something that doesn't materialize at the NFL level.

I could also see David Wilson being that guy in exactly the same mold ... the difference between him and Martin is that Martin has a little better weight on him (and seems to be a just a tad faster at the second level).
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Morehead State"] If they think David Wilson or Doug Martin are special, they can't go throught that rationalization. they have to pull the trigger at 32.

[/quote] I agree completely. I just dont see Wilson or Martin as close to being "special". I see them as slightly better than 3rd or 4th round guys[/quote]

Duly noted. But the notion (and I'm not saying you share it) that RB's are a dime a dozen is completely wrong in my view. Aging RB's...maybe. But in the draft, they are one of the few positions that can step in and contribute immediately.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"] My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha.[/quote] Had nothing to do with Vacchiano. I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me. How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year. All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks.[/quote] I absolutely agree. And I think the trend is starting to catch up to the draft projections (that and this year isn't deep in RBs). I do think Martin is one of those rare talents, but as I said, that might just be a case of me watching him and seeing something that doesn't materialize at the NFL level. I could also see David Wilson being that guy in exactly the same mold ... the difference between him and Martin is that Martin has a little better weight on him (and seems to be a just a tad faster at the second level).[/quote]

I see Wilson as a potential Tiki type player. And if thats true he is definately worth a pick at 32.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Kruunch"] My daughter is about as qualified to scout college players as Ralph Vacchiano is haha.[/quote] Had nothing to do with Vacchiano. I just dont see HBs being worth a first round pick unless they are rare talents, like Peterson or Richardson. Martin is not close to that same category to me. How many backs drafted in the first round have become the best backs in the league? Peterson, maybe Chris Johnson if he shows up again this year. All these great backs, MJD, Rice, were end of the 2nd round picks.[/quote] I absolutely agree. And I think the trend is starting to catch up to the draft projections (that and this year isn't deep in RBs). I do think Martin is one of those rare talents, but as I said, that might just be a case of me watching him and seeing something that doesn't materialize at the NFL level. I could also see David Wilson being that guy in exactly the same mold ... the difference between him and Martin is that Martin has a little better weight on him (and seems to be a just a tad faster at the second level).[/quote]

I see Wilson as a potential Tiki type player.* And if thats true he is definately worth a pick at 32.

[/quote]

Not sure Wilson has the same receiving savvy nor football acumen Tiki had but I don't think Tiki had near the level of balance that Wilson demonstrates.

One of the reasons I like Martin over Wilson is that Martin appears to be a more complete back. He can catch out of backfield (as can Wilson but doesn't seem be as natural at it) and pick up the blitz (some thing I haven't seen from Wilson at all). The latter can certainly be coached up though.

I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="Morehead State"]

I see Wilson as a potential Tiki type player. And if thats true he is definately worth a pick at 32.

[/quote] Not sure Wilson has the same receiving savvy nor football acumen Tiki had but I don't think Tiki had near the level of balance that Wilson demonstrates. One of the reasons I like Martin over Wilson is that Martin appears to be a more complete back. He can catch out of backfield (as can Wilson but doesn't seem be as natural at it) and pick up the blitz (some thing I haven't seen from Wilson at all). The latter can certainly be coached up though.[/quote]

As I said, ultimately my point is that backs are NOT a dime a dozen like some posters seem to think. They can have a great impact on your team.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="Morehead State"]As I said, ultimately my point is that backs are NOT a dime a dozen [/quote]

sure they are, I would argue you can find DJ Ware level talent anywhere you look

Special backs arent a dime a dozen however.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Morehead State"]As I said, ultimately my point is that backs are NOT a dime a dozen [/quote] sure they are, I would argue you can find DJ Ware level talent anywhere you look Special backs arent a dime a dozen however.[/quote]

Thats what I mean and thats true of every position.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Morehead State"]As I said, ultimately my point is that backs are NOT a dime a dozen [/quote]

sure they are, I would argue you can find DJ Ware level talent anywhere you look

Special backs arent a dime a dozen however.[/quote]

I believe that was what Morehead was saying.

Every average Joe at any position is a dime a dozen.

BTW what do you guys think of Isaiah Pead? This is another back I really liked (more so then Chris Polk or Chris Rainey or most of the other second tier RBs in this draft).

Don't understand the obsession with Fleener or HIghtower. Fleener is more of a receiving TE and not so much a blocking one, if we draft him we may as well just list him as a WR if thats what he comes here for. I don't like the idea of a LB with the 1st unless its Kuechly...the other prospects have a 3-4 defense feel to them. If we go RB I won't be disappointed......if we go Dline I will be happy. I also am one that would love a WR like Hill or Randle at this pick, since Eli can always use more weapons.

[quote user="GGTM_1977"]. Fleener is more of a receiving TE and not so much a blocking one, if we draft him we may as well just list him as a WR if thats what he comes here for. [/quote]

Because players develop in the NFL, nobody is a finished product. A lot of us look at Fleener as a guy with the frame to be around 6'6 260 or so pounds, plenty of size to be an inline TE, and the giants have Pope who has made quite a few TEs who couldnt block into very good blockers (shockey, Boss)

+ Reply to Thread