+ Reply to Thread

Rush Offense and Pass Defense ???

Can someone please explain to me why the giants were so bad in these stats last year? We finished 32nd in rush yards and 29th in pass yards allowed. I understand we had a difficult schedule and injuries. We are known for our dominant defensive line so I'm not sure why our pass defense was so bad. I mean Corey Webster is a pretty solid corner, Antrel Rolle is good and some people feel Kenny Phillips is emerging as one of the top safeties in the league. Aaron Ross was dreadful last year but was he the only reason our pass defense was bad? Our LB's weren't great last year maybe their the reason? .. I can understand our run game a little more because our O line was a mess but we had an awesome pass game last year that didn't seem to help our run game at all. We averaged 3.5 yards per rush, I guess Gilbride wasn't much help with all them shotgun draws. Last year was the only time I can even remember the Giants running that. Although we did have a lot of rushing TD's I'll admit. I'm not sure, if anyone can explain these to me it'd be much appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Rush Offense and Pass Defense ???

I disagree with a lot of your thoughts. First off, Ross played pretty well last year. Our linebackers are basically one of leagues youngest, but they didn't play horrid, as you probably seen, boley led the league as the best tackler. Stats are BS, wins are everything, and you have to know by now, we did win the big game. Lol... Keep your head up guy. It's gonna be another grueling year".....

Defense injuries played a large part.

Had no MLB for most of the year, they had J Will out there learning on the fly. Rolle actually wasent playing safety but playing nickel corner where he allowed a LOT of yards.

Ross was worked over all season, and nearly his entire career, only times he really plays well are on SB runs.

As for running game, Beatty, Snee, Diehl, and Bass were injured. McKenzie was horrible this season, Diehl was atrocious at guard, and bradshaw was hurting and missed games.

All-Pro

Numerous injuries. It's as simple as that. They lost 3 DB's in pre season, lost their 1st round DB for a good part of the season, and anyone hat filled in was getting hurt. Remember the games KP was out of due to injury? The secondary was lost without him. They where so desperate at LB tha they where using 3 rookies in a lock out year and had to call Chase of the couch. Tuck was not right until the the last 2 regular season games and Osi missed half the season.

On offense, as was said, they had their share of injuries and their starting RB has bad feet.

I think a loss of preseason workouts and stuff too contributed. Linebacker was already one of our weakest areas and we had alot of young guys out there in the beginning without any time to gel, along with a major injury to our incumbent middle linebacker, Goff. In the first game and many games into the season it was Jones and other rookies rotating.

As stated before we also lost defensive backs out of the gate, Osi was out for much of it and Tuck just wasn't Tuck.

As for the running game our offensive line just couldn't get a push and our center was new to the team. He also didn't get any gel time with his peers.

I think this season will be a different story and we'll see improvement. With improvement in these areas though, Eli will most likely not have a huge "numbers" season like last.

Veteran

[quote user="Giantsfan8293"]Can someone please explain to me why the giants were so bad in these stats last year? We finished 32nd in rush yards and 29th in pass yards allowed. I understand we had a difficult schedule and injuries. We are known for our dominant defensive line so I'm not sure why our pass defense was so bad. I mean Corey Webster is a pretty solid corner, Antrel Rolle is good and some people feel Kenny Phillips is emerging as one of the top safeties in the league. Aaron Ross was dreadful last year but was he the only reason our pass defense was bad? Our LB's weren't great last year maybe their the reason? .. I can understand our run game a little more because our O line was a mess but we had an awesome pass game last year that didn't seem to help our run game at all. We averaged 3.5 yards per rush, I guess Gilbride wasn't much help with all them shotgun draws. Last year was the only time I can even remember the Giants running that. Although we did have a lot of rushing TD's I'll admit. I'm not sure, if anyone can explain these to me it'd be much appreciated. Thanks![/quote]

In the middle of the season when we were giving up the monster yardage, do you remember the defensive players being confused at the snap? They would be talking to each other facing away from the play at the snap. They were clueless, it showed and they got abused. The defensive backs said they started to do more film work on their own. Fewell said he simplified the pre snap reads for the D. And the confusion at the snap went away. Add to this Boley and others getting healthy and the defense started playing much better around playoff time. Throw in the improved oline play at the end of the year, providing a resurgence of the running game, and it's easier to understand why a 9-7 team can win the SB.

Thanks for the replies! They helped a ton!

[quote user="Giantsfan8293"]Can someone please explain to me why the giants were so bad in these stats last year? We finished 32nd in rush yards and 29th in pass yards allowed. I understand we had a difficult schedule and injuries. We are known for our dominant defensive line so I'm not sure why our pass defense was so bad. I mean Corey Webster is a pretty solid corner, Antrel Rolle is good and some people feel Kenny Phillips is emerging as one of the top safeties in the league. Aaron Ross was dreadful last year but was he the only reason our pass defense was bad? Our LB's weren't great last year maybe their the reason? .. I can understand our run game a little more because our O line was a mess but we had an awesome pass game last year that didn't seem to help our run game at all. We averaged 3.5 yards per rush, I guess Gilbride wasn't much help with all them shotgun draws. Last year was the only time I can even remember the Giants running that. Although we did have a lot of rushing TD's I'll admit. I'm not sure, if anyone can explain these to me it'd be much appreciated. Thanks![/quote]I will gladly come in last and 29th in thosetaro stats every season if it translates to a SB Title every year
    Football has been very, very good to us.
    Even though 2013 was a losing season, we can console ourselves with this fact-

# of Super Bowl victories since 1985:

1-Chicago, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Indianapolis, New Orleans, Seattle
    2-Washington, Green Bay, Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore
    3-San Francisco, Dallas, New England
    4-New York Giants!!!!!

Let's make it 5 in 2014 !!!

***Stat provided by "Schloss22"***