+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Theory

Eli Theory

As I've watched Eli over his career he has always been more comfortable in the 2 minute offense. Even in drives right before the end of the first half when the game wasn't on the line heseems to be better when he can establish a rythym in the hurry-up offense. I think Eli has the ability to run an offense like Peyton ran in Indianapolis or like Brees runs in N.O. It won't happen, but if Gilbride were to open the offense all the way I think we could have be an even more potent offense. I think Eli's picks would go way down also.

In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

Re: Eli Theory

I have agreed with this theory for quite some time now. It doesn't take a genius to see that Eli is a beast when it comes to the 2 minute drill. I would love to see them just let him do his thing. But we just won a super bowl with the current formula so I'm ok with how things are. lol

[quote user="B&RWarrior"]

As I've watched Eli over his career he has always been more comfortable in the 2 minute offense. Even in drives right before the end of the first half when the game wasn't on the line heseems to be better when he can establish a rythym in the hurry-up offense. I think Eli has the ability to run an offense like Peyton ran in Indianapolis or like Brees runs in N.O. It won't happen, but if Gilbride were to open the offense all the way I think we could have be an even more potent offense. I think Eli's picks would go way down also.

[/quote]

Part of the consideration for the 2 minute offense is the way defenses play as well. Defenses generally play softer in order to trade yards for seconds. They don't do that in other parts of the game.

Get well soon 80.

Vacchiano wrote a piece on this last year: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...ometimes-it-is

Gilbride:
    Its something that I think can be effective as a change of tempo (in other parts of the game),"

"I dont think its a fantasy and I think you have to be careful. Were trying to help the defense. Were trying to hold onto the ball and slow the game down so that were on the field as much as we can. If youre not careful, that sometimes can backfire.

All-Pro

but if you do it all the time, it won't be as difficultto defendat those most critical times and you could wear out your defence

but i will say, in his own way, Eli is slowly taking more and more responsibility ... i won't pretend to know how it all goes down ... but don't think for a second that Eli is given a set in stone, very specific, run it one way and one way only type play very often ... i bet he gets a general play, reads the D and then calls out a few tweaks

and, of course, he doesn't hesitate to audible completely out of a play depending on his D reads

OMAHA, OMAHA ... man how many more months ... hmmm, 3 for preseason, 5 for regular season

[quote user="G-Man67"]

but if you do it all the time, it won't be as difficultto defendat those most critical times and you could wear out your defence

but i will say, in his own way, Eli is slowly taking more and more responsibility ... i won't pretend to know how it all goes down ... but don't think for a second that Eli is given a set in stone, very specific, run it one way and one way only type play very often ... i bet he gets a general play, reads the D and then calls out a few tweaks

and, of course, he doesn't hesitate to audible completely out of a play depending on his D reads

OMAHA, OMAHA ... man how many more months ... hmmm, 3 for preseason, 5 for regular season

[/quote]

I think OMAHA is a signal that the play clock is winding down.

Get well soon 80.

[quote user="G-Man67"]

"but if you do it all the time, it won't be as difficultto defendat those most critical times and you could wear out your defence" [/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B&R Warrior

Didn't the Colts do it all the time with success. I think Gilbride has had experience with wide-open offenses likewhen he waswith the Houston Oilers. I think he could make it work if he tried.

In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

All-Pro

[quote user="Morehead State"][quote user="G-Man67"]

[/quote]

I think OMAHA is a signal that the play clock is winding down.

[/quote]

haha, yeah that was revealed this past year

i was just getting myself pumped up []

i'd run it until we get a lead. then i'd slow it down a lil bit.

and MS, perhaps its the way defenses are playing their defense in the 2 min situations, but I think part of the reason it works so well, is that the d personnel is going to remain the same, and most times the d is going to be in the same coverage bc i dont think the defensive play caller is gonna want to change up the plays in a rush which could easily lead to a break down in the defensive play bc some players didnt hear the new call...

its a myriad of things but i do believe that eli is so successful at it bc he gets to see what the defense is doing and knows it wont change up so he has en even better understanding of the weak spots in the d...

[quote user="Flip Empty"]Vacchiano wrote a piece on this last year: http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/gia...ometimes-it-is Gilbride: Its something that I think can be effective as a change of tempo (in other parts of the game)," "I dont think its a fantasy and I think you have to be careful. Were trying to help the defense. Were trying to hold onto the ball and slow the game down so that were on the field as much as we can. If youre not careful, that sometimes can backfire.[/quote]

Gilbride summed it up pretty well and I agree completely with him. Remember we don't play in a dome or warm weather and our current style is more conducive for the late Nov and Dec games.