+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ARTICLE: The Big Blue Blueprint -By Peter King

[link]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1197596/1/index.htm[/link] Last Thursday, one week before the kickoff of the NFL draft, Giants coach Tom Coughlin stopped by the office of p.r. chief Pat Hanlon at the team's headquarters in East Rutherford, N.J., before heading back into afternoon draft meetings. Coughlin held a square Styrofoam container with the remnants of his salad inside. While he talked to Hanlon and a visitor, the container fell from his hands, stray seeds and cloudy dressing spilling onto Hanlon's carpet.

"Look at that!" Coughlin said disgustedly. He turned around to walk to the kitchen to fetch paper towels.

"Tom, we'll get someone to clean it up!" Hanlon called after him, but it was too late. Thirty seconds later the 65-year-old Coughlin was on his knees, picking up sunflower seeds and carefully wet-wiping and then dry-wiping the dressing. In a minute the carpet was spotless, and Coughlin left for his meeting.

In the midst of the newsiest NFL off-season in recent history—Peyton Manning moving to Denver, Tim Tebow shipped to the swamps of Jersey, the Saints' bounty scandal shocking the league, the Colts and the Redskins homing in on franchise quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Robert Griffin III—the biggest headline from the Super Bowl champions is this: Eli Manning will host Saturday Night Live on May 5. As the league begins its three-day draftapalooza on Thursday, can anyone identify a juicy off-season morsel about the Giants? Bueller? Bueller?

That's how Big Blue operates: ego-free, hype-averse, everyone contributing. And that's the team's approach to the draft, all seven rounds and beyond.

Most non-Kiperized NFL fans will be glassy-eyed come Saturday, when rounds 4 through 7 take place. That's when Giants general manager Jerry Reese and his staff do some of their smartest business. In the 2007 draft, his first as G.M., Reese took tight end Kevin Boss of Western Oregon in round 5 and running back Ahmad Bradshaw of Marshall in round 7; both were key contributors during that Super Bowl season. (In fact, all eight of New York's 2007 picks took part in the playoffs as rookies.) And last April the Giants drafted three players in the sixth round who would be core special-teamers in another Super Bowl--winning campaign: linebacker Greg Jones of Michigan State, defensive back Tyler Sash of Iowa and linebacker Jacquian Williams of South Florida, who forced the decisive overtime fumble in the NFC Championship Game at San Francisco. If you get drafted by the Giants, you've got a terrific chance of playing in a playoff game. More than half of Reese's picks have.

"One of the great things about the way this team operates," says club president John Mara, "is how workmanlike Tom Coughlin and Jerry Reese are, and how egoless. All they care about is building the best team they can."

---- there are 3 pages so go read it if you are interested in it.
    Peace,
    DragonSoul

Twitter Account! https://twitter.com/DragonSoul

Veteran

Re: ARTICLE: The Big Blue Blueprint -By Peter King

Thanks DragonSoul, great read.

thanks

Great article, thank you. It shows you how great and in sinc this organization is even down to the fans. How many times have you heard on this board the 'SBs aren't won in March'?

How can you not admire TC? The guy is a class act from start to finish.

This organization thrives on continuity.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]How can you not admire TC? The guy is a class act from start to finish.

[/quote]

+1

i don't get it.

I remember a couple years ago fans were screaming how much they wish they had Sean Peyton as their head coach, how we should have never let him get away.

A few years later, we've got our 2nd Championship in 4 years, and Sean is suspended for a year for actively and openly deceiving the commissioner of the NFL about a bounty scandal.

Its like so many things in life. the flashy attention seeker is rarely more valuable than the hard core work-a-holic.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]How can you not admire TC?* The guy is a class act from start to finish.

[/quote]

I agree and love the way this organization is run from top to bottom. I don't know how TC doesn't get the credit he deserves once and for all.
    Heh, I guess we as old school fans appreciate this kind of approach and values more than the younger generations because its the way we have been raised. That been said its our duty as parents to raise our kids with those kind of morals and principles.
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

I'm all for this. The workmanship of our front office and coaching staff translates down to the players. The ones that let their egos get away from them are eventually traded and fall into mediocrity, while those that "shut up and play" (as TC likes to say) will eventually earn a ring for their efforts.

That said, this approach means the media absolutely hates the Giants. There's no juicy story for them to bite into...

Fantasy headline quotes:
    -Insanity, with "Eye of the Tiger" playing in the background, accumulated the highest point total this week and beat Hakeem Nicks 137.95 - 100.75, overcoming an 18.22-point spread.
    -Legend of Seawright Throat-Punches Mediocrity.
    -20-page Eli Argument Knocks Out Insanity, Delivers an Early-Season Message

Bench Player

I remember when TC first came to NY they said he was a hardass and he was. But he softened a bit but still retained his character and once you start winning the the critics just go away.

I love his attitude. It's an old fashion approach and it works. I wish there were more people like him. Kids today could use a good dose of reality from a guy like TC.

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

[quote user="RoanokeFan"]How can you not admire TC? The guy is a class act from start to finish.

[/quote]

+1

i don't get it.

I remember a couple years ago fans were screaming how much they wish they had Sean Peyton as their head coach, how we should have never let him get away.

A few years later, we've got our 2nd Championship in 4 years, and Sean is suspended for a year for actively and openly deceiving the commissioner of the NFL about a bounty scandal.

Its like so many things in life. the flashy attention seeker is rarely more valuable than the hard core work-a-holic.

[/quote]

Every year we read through dozens of threads about picking high profile draftee or grabbing even higher profile free agents. And every year we just do what we've always done by taking talent and molding them into the players we need.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1