+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayocks Mock has us taking...

Re: Mayocks Mock has us taking...

[quote user="TheEnigma"][quote user="giantsfan420"]mayock has him as the only other elite tackle prospect with kalil...decastro was good, but it was martin who anchored the line...and lets not forget, stanford didnt really have a bunch of top talent players...it was pretty much luck and a couple te's, Martin was a huge reason for Lucks success...Martin would be one of the top RT's in the league day 1 imho...[/quote]Did you seriously give more credit to Martin over DeCastro in regards to the O-line? That dude is the best player on the team, even more than Luck. You'll be spending hours on trying to find flaws on that kid and he only allowed 1 sack in his college career. I implore you to watch some Stanford tape and see that Martin isn't the anchor on that team.

Martin is a decent player but protecting the famous Andrew Luck helps his draft stock just a tad. I'd say he's worth a mid to late 2nd round pick, maybe even early 3rd.[/quote]

martin absolutely anchored the line last season. and i dunno, it depends on how u look at it. decastro probably is the better talent, but at G, I dunno if that translates to him being more valuable than a T...different opinions i guess, I just read mayocks opinion on him and i agree with what he said, which was that Martin anchored the line, has an excellent base in pass protection, is NFL ready day 1, and the only elite T prospect outside of Kalil...

Martin has prototypical skills for the position. He missed just two games in his career and is extremely tough. He carries his weight well and is one of the most technically sound prospects in the draft. He has a smooth, efficient pass set that allows him to get a solid base and work from a balanced state. He is powerful and aggressive against the run and has good footwork for his size. Martin was the anchor of a very polished offensive line and is simply an NFL-ready tackle...Martin is one of two tackle prospects in this year's class who could be called elite
    -Mayock...

I'm just not seeing the value there for Martin at 32. Guys like Ware, Orakpo, and Cole will eat him alive with their savvy pass rushing moves. Part of the reason I don't think the Giants take TE's or OL high most of the time is because they have such a high amount of confidence in Pope and Flaherty, who are top 5 in the league at what they do.

It's probably better if we pass on OL in the first 2 rounds unless we get Silatolu at the right spot but wait for a Brandon Mosley, Mitchell Schwartz, or Nate Potter instead. We can probably get a David Diehl like career out of them with their skillsets and it would pay off.

Martin can beat speed rushers like Osi but I predict he will struggle with anyone who shows just a tad bit of strength in their game.

Bench Player

Rank
    Player School
    Class

Matt Kalil Southern California
    Jr

Riley Reiff Iowa
    Jr

Jonathan Martin Stanford
    Jr

Mike X. Adams Ohio State
    Sr

Zebrie Sanders Florida State
    Sr

Nate Potter Boise State
    Sr

Andrew Datko Florida State
    Sr

Brandon Mosley Auburn
    Sr

Matt McCants Alabama-Birmingham
    Sr

Levy Ad**** Oklahoma State
    Sr

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/a.php/129735/nfl...#ixzz1t60VtXEo

[quote user="slipknottin"]Thing that concerns me with Martin is the same as with beatty, if he isnt a great pass protector, can either move to RT and be a good run blocker? Im not convinced. Im not real sure OT is that much of a need anyway, Beatty I would assume is the starting LT, and there is a three way battle for RT with Diehl, Locklear and Brewer. Guard I would argue is more of a need, where Snee has not played as well, and Im not convinced that either Boothe or Petrus are quality starters.[/quote]
    The thing is I don't feel like Diehl, Locklear, or Brewer have proved their competent enough to earn a starting spot at RT for the year.

I guess it depends who's already been taken but I really hope we get Doug Martin and draft an OL in the 2nd or 3rd round.

[quote user="TheEnigma"]I'm just not seeing the value there for Martin at 32. Guys like Ware, Orakpo, and Cole will eat him alive with their savvy pass rushing moves. Part of the reason I don't think the Giants take TE's or OL high most of the time is because they have such a high amount of confidence in Pope and Flaherty, who are top 5 in the league at what they do.

It's probably better if we pass on OL in the first 2 rounds unless we get Silatolu at the right spot but wait for a Brandon Mosley, Mitchell Schwartz, or Nate Potter instead. We can probably get a David Diehl like career out of them with their skillsets and it would pay off.

Martin can beat speed rushers like Osi but I predict he will struggle with anyone who shows just a tad bit of strength in their game.[/quote]

you got it backwards. his technique will help him win vs power moves and savvier guys. speed guys is what could give him trouble bc his base gets off center and he'll lunge occasionally...im tellin you, dont sleep on martin. way back almost right after the SB i was thinking about T bc of Diehl and KMacs play and I woulda been ecstatic if some one told me we could get him...he'll improve the run game and be more than fine pass blocking...

and thanks to the poster who listed the ranking T, a lot of analysts believe Martin is a close second to Kalil...we'll see

[quote user="TheEnigma"]I'm just not seeing the value there for Martin at 32. Guys like Ware, Orakpo, and Cole will eat him alive with their savvy pass rushing moves. Part of the reason I don't think the Giants take TE's or OL high most of the time is because they have such a high amount of confidence in Pope and Flaherty, who are top 5 in the league at what they do.

Martin can beat speed rushers like Osi but I predict he will struggle with anyone who shows just a tad bit of strength in their game.[/quote]

you got it backwards. his technique will help him win vs power moves and savvier guys. speed guys is what could give him trouble bc his base gets off center and he'll lunge occasionally...im tellin you, dont sleep on martin. way back almost right after the SB i was thinking about T bc of Diehl and KMacs play and I woulda been ecstatic if some one told me we could get him...he'll improve the run game and be more than fine pass blocking...

and thanks to the poster who listed the ranking T, a lot of analysts believe Martin is a close second to Kalil...we'll see

dont get me wrong tho, i'd rather a WR or Fleener, but if there isnt one of those worth it at 32, i'd be stoked with Martin.

He is also a Jr. and can add a lil more bulk...

i def. would rather an OL before a RB in rd 1 tho...

Veteran

meh mayock picked the wrong Martin. Doug is going to be the next Ray Rice.

[quote user="egyptian420"]The thing is I don't feel like Diehl, Locklear, or Brewer have proved their competent enough to earn a starting spot at RT for the year[/quote]

Me either, but you add Jonathan Martin there, a guy who is not a great run blocker, and i think its unlikely he wins the starting job over the other 3.

So you end up with like 3 backup OTs. And giants only carry 2, usually.

+ Reply to Thread