+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Kenny Phillips?

What do the Giants do with him? Do we resign him to a megadeal, which he will command. Or, do we focus on drafting a younger player to replace him?
    "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

Re: Kenny Phillips?

I'd be really disappointed if Kenny wasn't re-signed. I feel he's finally putting the injury behind him and starting to come into his own.

If he has another solid season someones going to offer him a big pay day...I'm just hoping the Giants take care of him before he hits the open market and it doesn't have to come to that.

I'm thinking all these big "pay days" coming up in the next couple years does not fare well for Gmen- we can't afford all these superstars.
    Kenny Phillips,Osi, JPP, Nicks, Cruz, Webster, TT! That's a lot of $$$$$ we don't have unfortunately as I would love to keep all of them but this is a business first.

We've gotta resign him. The problem is we have way too much money locked up in people like Canty, Rolle, Baas. I bet some vet's get cut after this season.

I'd rather pay JPP, Nicks, Cruz, and KP than keep the aforementioned.

Marvin Austin not playing complicates things involving Canty. Had he played and well last year it would be easier to part with him.

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]Marvin Austin not playing complicates things involving Canty. Had he played and well last year it would be easier to part with him.[/quote]Agree but Canty is still eating up far too much cap space for the production we get from him. We can get a serviceable DT in FA for half the cost. Who knows, maybe MA gets back in the swing of things sooner rather than later? Either way, Canty makes too much for the production we get.

[quote user="NCGiant23"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]Marvin Austin not playing complicates things involving Canty. Had he played and well last year it would be easier to part with him.[/quote]Agree but Canty is still eating up far too much cap space for the production we get from him.* We can get a serviceable DT in FA for half the cost.* Who knows, maybe MA gets back in the swing of things sooner rather than later?* Either way, Canty makes too much for the production we get.
    [/quote]

Do I think Canty's salary needs to be restructured...absolutely. However, I disagree with you on his production. He was fabulous last year and he had to be. Joseph was only in year two, Austin was out, and Bernard isn't all that good. Canty was a big part of the run defense and because he was such a force, it allowed Joseph to show the Giants want he is made of.

But in regards to his salary, he will need to restructure if he wants a long term stay with the Giants.
    "Hey, let me buy you a pack of gum. I'll show you how to chew it."

2014 Draft:
    Round 1 - Eric Ebron, TE - North Carolina
    Round 2 - David Yankey, OG - Stanford
    Round 3 - Allen Robinson, WR - Penn State
    Round 4 - Anthony Johnson, DT - LSU
    Round 5 - Rashaad Reynolds, CB - Oregon State
    Round 6 - Andrew Jackson, ILB - W. Kentucky
    Round 7 - ** Traded for Jon Beason **

[quote user="Redeyejedi"]Marvin Austin not playing complicates things involving Canty. Had he played and well last year it would be easier to part with him.[/quote]

If we draft a productive DT and Austin becomes a productive contributor, Canty could be gone next year . . . .