+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GIANTS' DRAFT: WHAT TO WATCH FOR

Re: GIANTS' DRAFT: WHAT TO WATCH FOR

Hmm. There are going to be dozens of threads made about each selection, aren't there.

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="nygsb42champs"]Maybe it is me but I do not see the need to draft a WR in round 1 no matter what his value is. As long as you keep Nicks and Cruz you would draft a player who would be your 3rd WR. Is that really what you want from a 1st round pick?[/quote] u do realize the same thing was said when we took JPP... if somehow we cant retain both nicks and cruz we wont be in desperation mode...plus nicks has missed time each season (except for last iirc) and our offense is much more dangerous with 3 legit options instead of 2 and then JJ/Barden (who i still havent given up on)[/quote]

Given our position and the way the draft may shake out, I would also say that the best value at 32 could very well be D line. I would also not be shocked if we dropped out of the first or traded up (possibly using Osi) if someone we covet falls a tad.

In other words, I have no friggin idea except that if we draft at 32, it will most likely be D line.

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

[quote user="JimC"]Will our pick come around midnight?[/quote]
    Probably 11:00~11:30. Either way, I'll probably be asleep. But I'm confident the Giants can make the pick without me, so I'll read about it in the morning.

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="giantsfan420"][quote user="nygsb42champs"]Maybe it is me but I do not see the need to draft a WR in round 1 no matter what his value is. As long as you keep Nicks and Cruz you would draft a player who would be your 3rd WR. Is that really what you want from a 1st round pick?[/quote] u do realize the same thing was said when we took JPP... if somehow we cant retain both nicks and cruz we wont be in desperation mode...plus nicks has missed time each season (except for last iirc) and our offense is much more dangerous with 3 legit options instead of 2 and then JJ/Barden (who i still havent given up on)[/quote]

Given our position and the way the draft may shake out, I would also say that the best value at 32 could very well be D line.* I would also not be shocked if we dropped out of the first or traded up (possibly using Osi) if someone we covet falls a tad.

In other words,* I have no friggin idea except that if we draft at 32, it will most likely be D line.

[/quote]

for some reason John Martin seems to be disliked around here. If he falls to 32 i dont think JR will pass on him. By people who actually know what they're doing, he's been mocked to buffalo at 10. Mayock calls him the only elite OL prospect outside of Kalil. I wouldnt be opposed to J.Martin, Vinny Curry, Marcelius Whitney, Kendall Wright, Rueben Randle, Fleener, Nick Perry, Fleener, J.Jenkins (all of these guys will be around after the early 20's imo...Whatever we decide to do I'm on board.

I wouldnt want to draft a RB tho, and depending on the WR's taken I'd prob wait until the 2nd for that too. The 2nd round is gonna have a ton of seriously talented potential at WR and RB, so depending on how the draft plays out DE may very well be the best value (although guys like Still, Reyes I'd pass on in the 1rst I do not believe they are 1rst round grade players jmho on those two)

I think the 1st round will be for an OT or OG. We NEED to beef up our offensive line. The run game last year was pitiful. Yes, a lot of it was due to injury on our line and the patchwork construct we had to field in its place, but we need young and healthy at the offensive line in order to stave off further injury and add depth.

IF the O-line is beefed up, I don't think we need to select a RB early. RB's can be easily developed from late picks (e.g., Bradshaw), and I think Da'Rel Scott will improve this season with a full offseason under his belt (I have a hunch that he didn't get any carries because in practice TC was working on fixing his fumbleitis as he once did with Tiki).

At WR, I think that JJ is also set to have an awesome year, plus the speed with which JR resigned Hixon means that at least one of those two receivers will be set to be our 3rd WR. I'm not worried about WR in the slightest.

If it's not on the offensive line, any 1st rounder we have will likely be spent on a D-lineman. Getting depth to replace Osi is important (who, whether he plays for us or not in 2012, IS getting old), plus we could always use a DT as well.

Of course, you could just ignore everything I just said and call BPA, that works just fine in our system as well. I'm just saying that our biggest needs are on both offensive and defensive lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    We need a tight end,
    repeat, again and again
    ToadofSteel's mantra.

All-Pro

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]

I think the 1st round will be for an OT or OG. We NEED to beef up our offensive line. The run game last year was pitiful. Yes, a lot of it was due to injury on our line and the patchwork construct we had to field in its place, but we need young and healthy at the offensive line in order to stave off further injury and add depth.

IF the O-line is beefed up, I don't think we need to select a RB early. RB's can be easily developed from late picks (e.g., Bradshaw), and I think Da'Rel Scott will improve this season with a full offseason under his belt (I have a hunch that he didn't get any carries because in practice TC was working on fixing his fumbleitis as he once did with Tiki).

At WR, I think that JJ is also set to have an awesome year, plus the speed with which JR resigned Hixon means that at least one of those two receivers will be set to be our 3rd WR. I'm not worried about WR in the slightest.

If it's not on the offensive line, any 1st rounder we have will likely be spent on a D-lineman. Getting depth to replace Osi is important (who, whether he plays for us or not in 2012, IS getting old), plus we could always use a DT as well.

Of course, you could just ignore everything I just said and call BPA, that works just fine in our system as well. I'm just saying that our biggest needs are on both offensive and defensive lines.

[/quote]

You might be right but JR picks for talent not need. When you look at it the giants have people who can play on the OL already waiting. Yeah sure they could use more there.

At DE Kiwi can move back to DE so OSi situation is solved. Sure a DE would be nice.

RB bradshaw is there but Scott has great talent and again a dynamic RB would be cool.

TE of course is not a need

Of all the positions that seem weak 3rd WR
    is a concern to me but JR will do what he has
    done and find the best player after all the research of 1 yr.

He will pick the best player and not a need.

The guy is amazing at finding talent.

+ Reply to Thread