+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Re: DAVID WILSON THE PICK

[quote user="Zaggs"][quote user="Tommy_Ribs"][quote user="Zaggs"][quote user="Tommy_Ribs"][quote user="Zaggs"][quote user="Tommy_Ribs"]33rd ranked Player on Mayock's board: http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000...P11_hot_topics

It's not a reach, it was a solid pick.

I would have loved Upshaw or Cordy Glenn or Jonathan Martin, but Wilson is a good RB, he'll help Eli and Bradshaw.
    [/quote]

To show the fallacy of this point. Cordy Glenn was ranked 25th by Mayock, he's still on the board. Stephen Hill was ranked 32nd. He's still on the board. Vinny Curry was ranked 30th (not that we need another D-lineman) and is still available.
    [/quote]

LOL, Fallacy?

We had the 32nd pick, and we used it on a guy ranked 33rd by an extremely respected draft expert.

So I think that this shows, using Mayock's ratings, the GIANTS did not reach on Wilson. He was picked where he was rated. he was not rated as a 3rd rounder. He was the 33rd ranked guy.
    [/quote]

But he was also not a value nor solid pick.
    [/quote]

According to who?

You?

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not believe that you are a paid analyst on a major sports network, or an active GM of a Pro Football team.

If you are, please correct me. Even if you are, I still will take MAyock's ratings and Reese's track record on this pick right now.
    [/quote]

Thats my whole point. Mayock had other players who were available rated higher. So you're trying to disagree with me, while actually agreeing with me.
    [/quote]
    But, how do you know a series of coin flips didn't separate those players? You act like the difference between Wilson and the guys available were huge. Honestly, not a lot usually separates the 25th ranked guy and the 33rd on someone's board.

Also, BPA as a JR draft strategy is a myth.

[quote user="Zaggs"][quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="Zaggs"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Zaggs"]
    Don't see Glenn being any worse than Beatty.
    [/quote] So you want to use a first round pick on a guy who "wont be worse"? I really think this whole hate thing stems from a couple people who think Glenn was a great prospect. Glenn scares the heck out of me as a prospect. He cant bend at his knees at all, so he plays high or bends at the waist (which means either no leverage, or eventual back problems), hes big and strong but hes not really a mauler. He is more a catcher with how he uses his hands. Frankly, I think Glenn will have an exceptionally hard time playing RT. Thing he would be easy prey for any NFL pass rusher. And his lack of bend and inherent lack of leverage scares me inside at guard. High high bust potential for Glenn, IMO[/quote]

As opposed to using a first round pick on a guy who's probably going to be tackled for losses a few times? You can pull the "I'm better than you" act in college. But thats not going to work against NFL linebackers.
    I actually would have prefered Stephen Hill be picked to start off as the outside/3rd option and then let him learn the position.
    [/quote]

Every player drafted in the first round is a heck of a lot better than the guys they play against in college.

Isn't that a good thing?

[/quote]

Which means they way the play works well against inferior competition. But like everyone says, the NFL game is faster. Wilson is going to be seeing linebackers than run as fast as him. Something he did not see much of in college.
    [/quote]

Please name me all the 4.4 Linebackers.

Veteran

[quote user="ShakeNBake"][quote user="Zaggs"][quote user="jjj45"][quote user="bELIeve_in_Giants"]

I remember when everyone hated the JPP pick.*

[/quote]Exactly, people think they are experts cuz they follow the draft a lot.

This is a great pick. With BJ gone we need a RB. This dude fits the bill.

[/quote]

And neither DJ Ware nor Da'rel Scott are running backs?
    [/quote]

Ware is mediocre at best and Scott is still unproven. Good thing we have TC, hopefully he can fix Scott's and Wilsons fumbling issues.
    [/quote]

Gerald Ingram the running back coach is the one who has been fixing the fumbles, not TC.

All-Pro

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="lawl"]
    Stick to you pre draft thoughts. You were opposed to a rb in the first round.

Do not let the giants decisions sway your thought process. The last time you did so was with sintim. You didn't like him pre draft, but once we took him you couldn't make up enough reasons for us to like him.[/quote]

I honestly thought a better player would drop to them, everyone I really liked was gone by the time they picked. And while I wasent in love with drafting a HB in the first, it wasent because I disliked Wilson. I really thought some better players would drop to 32, by the time the giants were picking there really was not much to chose from.

And I never liked Sintim, pre or post draft.[/quote]

its not a matter of disliking Wilson. You clearly stated that the drop off in talent of the 2nd back and the 15th back isn't that big.

As for sintim. Don't remember talking about how physical he was in training camp and that he is much better in coverage than people think? I sure do.

[quote user="lawl"]

Branch worthy Reyes randle massie[/quote]

Not a bad list apart from Massie, who I think is clearly not a first round talent.

If you put Wilson, Branch, Worthy, Reyes and Randle together as a group, say they all got the same grade, I would think you could make the argument for Wilson as more of a need.

Have to always assume need fits in there too. Giants may be far happier with what they have at WR and DT than we think.

[quote user="lawl"]

its not a matter of disliking Wilson. You clearly stated that the drop off in talent of the 2nd back and the 15th back isn't that big.[/quote]
    Well, admittadly, I didnt watch much of Wilson, his film annoys me, and I did not expect a HB in the first. I watched far more video of mid-late round HBs, and then some of Martin because everyone was talking him up.

As for sintim. Don't remember talking about how physical he was in training camp and that he is much better in coverage than people think? I sure do.
    I made a post about how he chased down a HB (dont remember who it was) in the open field and knocked away a pass, thought that was really impressive. Biggest knock on him coming out was his coverage ability, thought he might be much better in that aspect than given credit for. Physical play you cant see in camp, I didnt say anything to that effect, other than perhaps talking about how big he looked compared to the other LBs.

All-Pro

Branch worthy Reyes randle massie[/quote]

Not a bad list apart from Massie, who I think is clearly not a first round talent.

If you put Wilson, Branch, Worthy, Reyes and Randle together as a group, say they all got the same grade, I would think you could make the argument for Wilson as more of a need.

Have to always assume need fits in there too. Giants may be far happier with what they have at WR and DT than we think.[/quote]

Vast amounts of young talent at valuable positions is every NFL team's number 1 need. I will always think that should be the case

[quote user="lawl"]

Vast amounts of young talent at valuable positions is every NFL team's number 1 need. I will always think that should be the case[/quote]

Eh, gotta think of the 32nd pick as a 2nd rounder, might feel better about a HB if you consider him a 2nd round pick.

All-Pro

its not a matter of disliking Wilson. You clearly stated that the drop off in talent of the 2nd back and the 15th back isn't that big.[/quote]
    Well, admittadly, I didnt watch much of Wilson, his film annoys me, and I did not expect a HB in the first. I watched far more video of mid-late round HBs, and then some of Martin because everyone was talking him up.

I made a post about how he chased down a HB (dont remember who it was) in the open field and knocked away a pass, thought that was really impressive. Biggest knock on him coming out was his coverage ability, thought he might be much better in that aspect than given credit for. Physical play you cant see in camp, I didnt say anything to that effect, other than perhaps talking about how big he looked compared to the other LBs.[/quote]
    You distinctly mentioned sintim jamming guys and saying how physical he was.

Why do I remember random things like this? I don't know

All-Pro

Vast amounts of young talent at valuable positions is every NFL team's number 1 need. I will always think that should be the case[/quote]

Eh, gotta think of the 32nd pick as a 2nd rounder, might feel better about a HB if you consider him a 2nd round pick.[/quote]

a first round pick is a first round pick. Do you think of the 33rd pick as basically a 1st rounder? Of course not. it is what it is. I don't like this thought process