+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1321222324 LastLast
    All-Pro

Re: DAVID WILSON THE PICK

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="lawl"]

And that great decision worked out so well for them huh?[/quote]

yes, because drafting a HB in the first was clearly the reason none of those teams repeated?[/quote]

most of those guys had injury problems, have injury problems now,or are handcuffing they're team with they're new salary or some combination these 3. They used a first round pick on a player for 4 years of his career(or less) instead of having used that on a more valuable position that would have provided them with a higher chance of having said player for a longer period of time.

Players drafted in the first round are supposed to be stalwarts for 8 yrs+. using that pick on a rb greatly reduces your chances of this happening. And on top of that it is a position of lesser value.

Veteran

[quote user="Morehead State"]

[quote user="lawl"]Worst thing I've ever seen Reese do.[/quote]

You've taken "what have you done for me lately" to new levels.* (Or depths)

Dissapointed in you Lawl.

[/quote]

Wow, we agree almost on everything except when it comes to Osi.

[quote user="lawl"]

Players drafted in the first round are supposed to be stalwarts for 8 yrs+.[/quote]

Nope, not anymore. Go read the new CBA.

Restricted free agency is going to soon be a thing of the past. Rookies will hit the open market at the end of their rookie contracts, unlike past years.

People are underestimating the effect of the new CBA on the draft. I expect teams will shy away from having multiple 1st round picks in future years simply because its means 2 potential future stars, who they may want to resign after their rookie contracts, will hit the open market at the same time.

Take the brown for example. Lets say Trent Richardson works out for them and is awesome. Lets also say Weeden turns out to be a NFL star. Both these players will hit FA at the same time and the browns are very unlikely to resign both players to contracts they would demand. So gluck with that Clevenland.

All-Pro

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="lawl"]

Players drafted in the first round are supposed to be stalwarts for 8 yrs+.[/quote]

Restricted free agency is going to soon be a thing of the past. Rookies will hit the open market at the end of their rookie contracts, unlike past years.

People are underestimating the effect of the new CBA on the draft. I expect teams will shy away from having multiple 1st round picks in future years simply because its means 2 potential future stars, who they may want to resign after their rookie contracts, will hit the open* market at the same time.

Take the brown for example. Lets say Trent Richardson works out for them and is awesome. Lets also say Weeden turns out to be a NFL star. Both these players will hit FA at the same time and the browns are very unlikely to resign both players to contracts they would demand. So gluck with that Clevenland.
    [/quote]

Giants always extend their own guys that perform great. Nicks and jpp are next in line

[quote user="lawl"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="lawl"]

People are underestimating the effect of the new CBA on the draft. I expect teams will shy away from having multiple 1st round picks in future years simply because its means 2 potential future stars, who they may want to resign after their rookie contracts, will hit the open market at the same time.

[/quote]

Giants always extend their own guys that perform great. Nicks and jpp are next in line[/quote]

That really has nothing to do with anything I said. The league changed with the new CBA.

1) You can no longer assume the salary cap will go up every yearand you will have room to resign them. It wont go up every year like it did prior.

2) You can no longer bank on restricted free agency to allow you to force other teams to overpay in order to take your good players who have yet to resign away from you . The Giants have always depended rather heavily on restricted free agency, that will have to change.

There is a reason there were 3 running backs taken in the 1st round this year and it has a LOT to do with these changes. Teams will no longer only draft guys for the long term since they cannot guarantee that a player will be with their team for the long term. 1 of the main reasons teams avoided drafting Rbs was because they do tend to have shorter careers.That no longer matters since , as I said, many teams will have to draft mainly for the short term or at least the term of a rookie contract. After that, the player can now leave if he so chooses and there is nothing a team can do about it.

[quote user="fletch842"]personally, I liked Glenn here, but we certainly needed a back, and he fits the bill. Running back is one of the simplest positions to work in, especially if he understands pass protection. We could get immediate production here.[/quote]
    I couldn't believe the Glenn dropped, but if the FO feels that Wilson, who is obviously is a skill player, is the real deal then I've got no problem with it.

Veteran

[quote user="lawl"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="lawl"]

yes, because drafting a HB in the first was clearly the reason none of those teams repeated?[/quote]

most of those guys had injury problems, have injury problems now,or are handcuffing they're team with they're new salary or some combination these 3. They used a first round pick on a player for 4 years of his career(or less) instead of having used that on a more valuable position that would have provided them with a higher chance of having said player for a longer period of time.

Players drafted in the first round are supposed to be stalwarts for 8 yrs+. using that pick on a rb greatly reduces your chances of this happening. And on top of that it is a position of lesser value.[/quote]

But that doesn't matter because you sign a rookie for usually 4 years then you see if you can afford to sign them long term. Who's to say if we drafted Glenn that we would be able to afford him down the road anyway?

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="lawl"]

People are underestimating the effect of the new CBA on the draft. I expect teams will shy away from having multiple 1st round picks in future years simply because its means 2 potential future stars, who they may want to resign after their rookie contracts, will hit the open* market at the same time.

[/quote]

I tend to agree with you here.

I think teams are quickly approaching a first contract only mentality.
    I don't always root for the Cowboys but when I do I wear my pink Jessica Simpson edition Romo jersey. (yes I lost a bet)

All-Pro

[quote user="Kruunch"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="lawl"]

[/quote]

I tend to agree with you here.

I think teams are quickly approaching a first contract only mentality.[/quote]

What he's saying makes sense. No doubt.

But this is the giants. I'm fully confident that if Wilson plays at a high level, we will pay him. Its just how our organization does business. We have extended both ab and Jacobs neither of which will likely perform to it. Most rbs do not play as well they're second contract. Be it injury or wear and tear. Its just how it is, and its one of the reasons that I do not like thee pick

All-Pro

[quote user="Spizi"][quote user="lawl"][quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="lawl"]

Players drafted in the first round are supposed to be stalwarts for 8 yrs+. using that pick on a rb greatly reduces your chances of this happening. And on top of that it is a position of lesser value.[/quote]

But that doesn't matter because you sign a rookie for usually 4 years then you see if you can afford to sign them long term. Who's to say if we drafted Glenn that we would be able to afford him down the road anyway?[/quote]
    a vast majority of the time, we resign our best players. Glenn has a much higher chance of playing longer for us at a higher level of play as well. I surmise this from typical positional lifetime in the NFL and that Glenn was higher on or board than Wilson.