+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What happened to trusting Reese?

Re: What happened to trusting Reese?

[quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="buddy33"]Relax. What more does he have to do to show you he can pick talent?[/quote] He is far from infallible. He picked Sintim, Brown, S.Woodson, Wright, Dillard, Tracy and how many late round QBs. RBs in the first round are for desperate teams with crap QBs. That isn't the case here and this is a wasted pick. He can't protect, run routes or hold on to the ball. Hill, Randle, Fleener, Still and Upshaw all had better value. I though SF made the worst pick of the night until this one.[/quote]

I will hound you over this post until the end of time if this guy turns out to be a star . . .

All-Pro

[quote user="BlueSanta"]this is what happens when armchair GMs fall in love with prospects.

They get their hopes crushed when Reese, a smarter man, doesn't agree with them.
    [/quote]

This. Could the kid not work out? Sure, but with 2 Super Bowl rings and with he guys he has drafted in the 1st round I'll say Reese knows what he is doing.

I mean he only drafted KP, Nicks, JPP, and Prince in the 1st round.

[quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="buddy33"]Relax. What more does he have to do to show you he can pick talent?[/quote]

He is far from infallible. He picked Sintim, Brown, S.Woodson, Wright, Dillard, Tracy and how many late round QBs.

RBs in the first round are for desperate teams with crap QBs. That isn't the case here and this is a wasted pick.

He can't protect, run routes or hold on to the ball. Hill, Randle, Fleener, Still and Upshaw all had better value.

I though SF made the worst pick of the night until this one.[/quote]But he also picked: Ross, SS, J Alford, DeOssie, Boss, Kenny Phillips TT, MM, Goff, Nicks, Beatty, JPP. All of his picks for rounds 1,2,3, for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 are still in the NFL and they all have contributed to the Giant's success. Is he perfect? far from it, but then again show me a GM that is perfect and also has more success drafting than Reece. Come on people, let's wait and see what happens when the games begin in September before we declare this a wasted pick.

Veteran

[quote user="giantsforce"][quote user="BlueBlooded1979"][quote user="buddy33"]Relax. What more does he have to do to show you he can pick talent?[/quote]

He is far from infallible. He picked Sintim, Brown, S.Woodson, Wright, Dillard, Tracy and how many late round QBs.

RBs in the first round are for desperate teams with crap QBs. That isn't the case here and this is a wasted pick.

He can't protect, run routes or hold on to the ball. Hill, Randle, Fleener, Still and Upshaw all had better value.

I though SF made the worst pick of the night until this one.[/quote]But he also picked: Ross, SS, J Alford, DeOssie, Boss, Kenny Phillips TT, MM, Goff, Nicks, Beatty, JPP.** All of his picks for rounds 1,2,3, for 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 are still in the NFL and they all have contributed to the Giant's success.* Is he perfect? far from it, but then again show me a GM that is perfect and also has more success drafting than Reece. Come on people, let's wait and see what happens when the games begin in September before we declare this a wasted pick.
    [/quote]

Thanks you, and don't forget the free agents, Bruce Johnson (who beat out two draft picks to make the roster), Victor Cruz and Henry Hynoski.

Also, look at the Eagles, don't you think they wish they had Nicks instead of Maclin and JPP instead of Graham?

Most importantly, the personnel decisions have been outstanding, letting go of Luke Petitgout and moving Deihl to LT, signing Kawiki Mitchell and the veteran corners, moving Kiwi to LB, and signing Grant, Rolle, Boley and Canty.

Giants are locked and loaded.

I knew we were going to be desperate for a RB this year before last year's draft. Wish we had the foresight to have taken Mark Ingram last year. When he was there I was 100% sure that's who we would take... I'll never understand how you pass on a heisman winning RB when your starter couldn't hold on to the ball or stay healthy and your backup is on his last leg.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]this is what happens when armchair GMs fall in love with prospects.

They get their hopes crushed when Reese, a smarter man, doesn't agree with them.
    [/quote] Well, to be fair, its all part of the draft process.. Sometimes your gonna love the picks, and sometimes your not.. What are u supposed to do, say u like something when u don't? Its not like Reese dosen't miss on picks lke every other GM.. He did pick Jay Alford, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum(not enough production to warrent the pick yet), Andre Woodson, Phillip Dillard, Stoney Woodson, Clint Sintim, Rhett Bomar..etc I realize that i noted some mid to late rd picks, but i did so to show that there are misses mixed in throughout all rds.. I think there is enough misses to at least give your true feelings about the picks when there made.. Not to menton, whats the point of discussing picks, if all your gonna do is say , "i dislike the pick, but i trust reese"??? All u can do is make your case to why u do or don't like the pick and try and have "adult" like discussions.. TO me, theres more children like responses from the people who are all "reese rules" then the ones that are trying to be objective and discuss why they dont like the picks.. Its like your a enemy just becuase u don't agree with the pick.. I've put in enough time on these boards and int he draft threads, to at least be able to discuss why or why not i like a pick, without being treated like a dink, i would think..

I wonder where were all these people the last 4yrs, when i was all most annoyingly so having to debate as hard as ever, how great our drafts, and our UDF pickups were.. There were so many nay sayers, it was crazy!But, that was ok? The one yr i have some questions about some of our picks, is the one yr that the consensus loves it...lol Its strange, becasue the past several yrs, in my opinion, were hands down, easier drafts to sit back and say, "hey, we just killed it".. Thats just my opinoin of course, and i think the drafts of the past several yrs kinda support my arguement, seeing how those are the drafts, that got us saying " in reese we trust", right?

This is litteraly the first time i felt that we drafted just like other teams, and didn't just snatch up great values throughout.. Even when u do just snatch up great values, some won't hit, like a Ramses Barden, or Andre Brown proves, but it certainly in my opinon,gives u a better chance at hitting, i would think? I loved the fact we would take guys like Greg Jones in RD 6, while other teams passed em by because of this or that, and we'd just roll the dice on the fact the guy knows what hes doing, based on his production..

Either way, i dont think the draft was a big loss or anything, but i certainly have more questions about this draft, then any other draft we've had under reese...

I think a lot of the love for the casual fan or those that don't follow the draft come from the fact we won the Superbowl. It makes them look for the positives in what Reese is doing since he just won them a Lombardi not a few months ago.

I guarantee you that if we didn't make the playoffs last season that you would see a lot more hate on this draft.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[/quote] Well, to be fair, its all part of the draft process.. Sometimes your gonna love the picks, and sometimes your not.. What are u supposed to do, say u like something when u don't? Its not like Reese dosen't miss on picks lke every other GM.. He did pick Jay Alford, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum(not enough production to warrent the pick yet), Andre Woodson, Phillip Dillard, Stoney Woodson, Clint Sintim, Rhett Bomar..etc I realize that i noted some mid to late rd picks, but i did so to show that there are misses mixed in throughout all rds.. I think there is enough misses to at least give your true feelings about the picks when there made.. Not to menton, whats the point of discussing picks, if all your gonna do is say , "i dislike the pick, but i trust reese"??? All u can do is make your case to why u do or don't like the pick and try and have "adult" like discussions.. TO me, theres more children like responses from the people who are all "reese rules" then the ones that are trying to be objective and discuss why they dont like the picks.. Its like your a enemy just becuase u don't agree with the pick.. I've put in enough time on these boards and int he draft threads, to at least be able to discuss why or why not i like a pick, without being treated like a dink, i would think..

I wonder where were all these people the last 4yrs, when i was all most annoyingly so having to debate as hard as ever, how great our drafts, and our UDF pickups were.. There were so many nay sayers, it was crazy!But, that was ok? The one yr i have some questions about some of our picks, is the one yr that the consensus loves it...lol Its strange, becasue the past several yrs, in my opinion, were hands down, easier drafts to sit back and say, "hey, we just killed it".. Thats just my opinoin of course, and i think the drafts of the past several yrs kinda support my arguement, seeing how those are the drafts, that got us saying " in reese we trust", right?

This is litteraly the first time i felt that we drafted just like other teams, and didn't just snatch up great values throughout.. Even when u do just snatch up great values, some won't hit, like a Ramses Barden, or Andre Brown proves, but it certainly in my opinon,gives u a better chance at hitting, i would think? I loved the fact we would take guys like Greg Jones in RD 6, while other teams passed em by because of this or that, and we'd just roll the dice on the fact the guy knows what hes doing, based on his production..

Either way, i dont think the draft was a big loss or anything, but i certainly have more questions about this draft, then any other draft we've had under reese...

[/quote]

Ok im gonna make 1 last attempt to cheer you up by addressing the 2 main picks you had a problem with, Wilson and Randle.

I know you were a Martin > Wilson guy. I have np with that, even though I didnt agree. The problem I have is that even though I was a Wilson guy, I acknowledged that they were very close prospects in value. I could understand why some had Martin over Wilson, even if I didnt agree. However, I do not think you do at all with regards to Wilson, I think you fell in love with Martin. Now, Ill make my case:

Look at it this way. Would you have rather given up 18 spots in the 4th and 22 picks in the 2nd round to choose Martin over Wilson? I am a Wilson guy, but I sure wouldnt have been happy if we had given up that much for Wilson over Martin. I think that is crazy. They were rated way to closely to give up that much for 1 over the other. Look at those 22 spots in the 2nd round, there are some pretty impressive guys who got selected there between pick 36 and pick 58 including the likes of Fleener, Glenn, Alshon Jeffery, Jenkins, Bobby Wagner, Jonathan Martin and many more. Look a those guys in the 4th, its a prettyi good list too, including Orson Charles, Ladarius Green, Evan Rodriguez, Robert Turbin, Nigel Bradham, Joe Adams to name a few.

Look at it from a value standpoint using the draft pick value chart. The Bucs moved up 5 spots from pick 36(540 point value) to pick 31(600 point value). That's a 60 point value jump they went up to get Martin.

You have been on record saying you liked the Bucs draft, I too like some of the players they got, but look how much they gave up to get Martin over Wilson:

-They swapped 2nd rounders , pick 36 to pick 58(-220 point value) and they swapped 4th rounders as well dropping from pick 101 to pick 126(-50 value.)

So from a pure value standpoint they gave up 270 points, roughly the equivalent of a mid 3rd round selection(equivalent of pick 76) in order to take Martin over Wilson. Look at pick 76 and tell me the guys on the board at that time arent worth more than whatever difference you percieve in these 2 backs. Here is a short list of player selected in that area: Brandon Brooks(pick 76), Mohamed Sanu(83), Bernard Pierce (84), Sean Spence(86), Demario Davis(77)

That is INSANELY poor value drafting on their part with regards to that pick.

Now lets talk about Ruben Randle. I know you werent fond of that pick either. Based on film and production I understood your point completely. You wanted Sanu(among others) over Randle. The problem is we have a fraction of the info on these 2 that Reese has. He interviewed both, he has doctors reports, strength training reports, intelligence tests etc . I have to believe there was a problem with Sanu that we couldnt see on film. I think there was likely a similar problem with regards to Cordy Glenn as well, a guy I liked very much for us.

I suspect, based on his answer to the media question posed to him leading up the draft about which NY team he would prefer to play for, that Sanu is not a smart kid. Not because he answered "The Jets", but because he answered period. Why alienate a prospective NFL team from drafting you? The moment I read that I knew 2 thing were probable 1) his interview with the Giants went very poorly. and/or 2) he is an idiot for Alienating a team that showed interest in him by bringing him in for an interview.

Conversely, we could not see how Ruben handled his interview. Maybe he showed aptitude beyond his age. Maybe he showed understanding of the offense leading the coaches to believe he can step in sooner. We have no idea what he showed. But whatever he did show, Reese liked it, and I trust Reese.

Yes sanu wanting to play for the jets makes him a moron. Not because he would likely start for the jets, but bcus he bombed his interview with the giants. Arguably one of the most smartest receivers in this draft on the field, is a ****** because he fell to the 3rd and was passed by gmen

Pft. Giants had randle as a 1st rnd talent and sanu lower. Stop over analyzing with completely moronic theories bluesanta

Didn't Reese say that Glenn was the BPA at #32 for them but since they felt a run would happen at the RB position, they went with Wilson instead? I ask because there's been a few things going around and I just want to clarify.

+ Reply to Thread