+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: What happened to trusting Reese?

Re: What happened to trusting Reese?

[quote user="rainierjef"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[quote user="BlueSanta"]this is what happens when armchair GMs fall in love with prospects.

They get their hopes crushed when Reese, a smarter man, doesn't agree with them.
    [/quote] Well, to be fair, its all part of the draft process.. Sometimes your gonna love the picks, and sometimes your not.. What are u supposed to do, say u like something when u don't? Its not like Reese dosen't miss on picks lke every other GM.. He did pick Jay Alford, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum(not enough production to warrent the pick yet), Andre Woodson, Phillip Dillard, Stoney Woodson, Clint Sintim, Rhett Bomar..etc I realize that i noted some mid to late rd picks, but i did so to show that there are misses mixed in throughout all rds.. I think there is enough misses to at least give your true feelings about the picks when there made.. Not to menton, whats the point of discussing picks, if all your gonna do is say , "i dislike the pick, but i trust reese"??? All u can do is make your case to why u do or don't like the pick and try and have "adult" like discussions.. TO me, theres more children like responses from the people who are all "reese rules" then the ones that are trying to be objective and discuss why they dont like the picks.. Its like your a enemy just becuase u don't agree with the pick.. I've put in enough time on these boards and int he draft threads, to at least be able to discuss why or why not i like a pick, without being treated like a dink, i would think..

I wonder where were all these people the last 4yrs, when i was all most annoyingly so having to debate as hard as ever, how great our drafts, and our UDF pickups were.. There were so many nay sayers, it was crazy!But, that was ok? The one yr i have some questions about some of our picks, is the one yr that the consensus loves it...lol Its strange, becasue the past several yrs, in my opinion, were hands down, easier drafts to sit back and say, "hey, we just killed it".. Thats just my opinoin of course, and i think the drafts of the past several yrs kinda support my arguement, seeing how those are the drafts, that got us saying " in reese we trust", right?

This is litteraly the first time i felt that we drafted just like other teams, and didn't just snatch up great values throughout.. Even when u do just snatch up great values, some won't hit, like a Ramses Barden, or Andre Brown proves, but it certainly in my opinon,gives u a better chance at hitting, i would think? I loved the fact we would take guys like Greg Jones in RD 6, while other teams passed em by because of this or that, and we'd just roll the dice on the fact the guy knows what hes doing, based on his production..

Either way, i dont think the draft was a big loss or anything, but i certainly have more questions about this draft, then any other draft we've had under reese...

[/quote]

Ok im gonna make 1 last attempt to cheer you up by addressing the 2 main picks you had a problem with, Wilson and Randle.

I know you were a Martin > Wilson guy. I have np with that, even though I didnt agree. The problem I have is that even though I was a Wilson guy, I acknowledged that they were very close prospects in value. I could understand why some had Martin over Wilson, even if I didnt agree. However, I do not think you do at all with regards to Wilson, I think you fell in love with Martin. Now, Ill make my case:

Look at it this way. Would you have rather given up 18 spots in the 4th and 22 picks in the 2nd round to choose Martin over Wilson? I am a Wilson guy, but I sure wouldnt have been happy if we had given up that much for Wilson over Martin. I think that is crazy. They were rated way to closely to give up that much for 1 over the other. Look at those 22 spots in the 2nd round, there are some pretty impressive guys who got selected there between pick 36 and pick 58 including the likes of Fleener, Glenn, Alshon Jeffery, Jenkins, Bobby Wagner, Jonathan Martin and many more. Look a those guys in the 4th, its a prettyi good list too, including Orson Charles, Ladarius Green, Evan Rodriguez, Robert Turbin, Nigel Bradham, Joe Adams to name a few.

Look at it from a value standpoint using the draft pick value chart. The Bucs moved up 5 spots from pick 36(540 point value) to pick 31(600 point value). That's a 60 point value jump they went up to get Martin.

You have been on record saying you liked the Bucs draft, I too like some of the players they got, but look how much they gave up to get Martin over Wilson:

-They swapped 2nd rounders , pick 36 to pick 58(-220 point value) and they swapped 4th rounders as well dropping from pick 101 to pick 126(-50 value.)

So from a pure value standpoint they gave up 270 points, roughly the equivalent of a mid 3rd round selection(equivalent of pick 76) in order to take Martin over Wilson. Look at pick 76 and tell me the guys on the board at that time arent worth more than whatever difference you percieve in these 2 backs. Here is a short list of player selected in that area: Brandon Brooks(pick 76), Mohamed Sanu(83), Bernard Pierce (84), Sean Spence(86), Demario Davis(77)

That is INSANELY poor value drafting on their part with regards to that pick.

Now lets talk about Ruben Randle. I know you werent fond of that pick either. Based on film and production I understood your point completely. You wanted Sanu(among others) over Randle. The problem is we have a fraction of the info on these 2 that Reese has. He interviewed both, he has doctors reports, strength training reports, intelligence tests etc . I have to believe there was a problem with Sanu that we couldnt see on film. I think there was likely a similar problem with regards to Cordy Glenn as well, a guy I liked very much for us.

I suspect, based on his answer to the media question posed to him leading up the draft about which NY team he would prefer to play for, that Sanu is not a smart kid. Not because he answered "The Jets", but because he answered period. Why alienate a prospective NFL team from drafting you? The moment I read that I knew 2 thing were probable 1) his interview with the Giants went very poorly. and/or 2) he is an idiot for Alienating a team that showed interest in him by bringing him in for an interview.

Conversely, we could not see how Ruben handled his interview. Maybe he showed aptitude beyond his age. Maybe he showed understanding of the offense leading the coaches to believe he can step in sooner. We have no idea what he showed. But whatever he did show, Reese liked it, and I trust Reese. Nycsport, redeye STFU you fake *** couch GM, but seeing the time these guys put into; in their spare time of course cause we have lives, but nonetheless time into research. its unfair to say

this is what happens when armchair GMs fall in love with prospects.
    They get their hopes crushed when Reese, a smarter man, doesn't agree with them.

[/quote] As far as the value thing, it depends on who's board u look at.. Also, u gotta look at what the team(bucs in this case), all ready have, before analyzing what players they missed out on with pick they traded to move up and get martin.. They all ready drafted Mason Foster last yr, and just got Lavonte David this yr, and they just got Doug Martin, so that kinda makes Bernard PIerce a back they would never draft, especially with Blounte all ready on boad, and then they signed Vincent Jackson, and have Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn at WR, hence they have no need for Mo Sanu.. They even signed Carl Nicks in the offseason, which kinda rules out Brandon Brooks.. I'm making this point, because knowing that, they made the makes the move even better in my opinon of course..

But, back to saying, "i'm gonna try and cheer you up".. Did u see my last sentence, my friend?

EITHER WAY, I DON"T THINK THE DRAFT WAS A BIG LOSS OR ANYTHING BUT I CERTAINLY HAVE MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS DRAFT THEN ANY OTHER FROM REESE.. Thats all i'm saying.. I do like the bucs draft alot, and its based on what they did in the offseason as well as what they did in the draft. For me, i combine everythign, and make my opinion, based on that.. The draft is a extension of FA'cy, and UDF's, are a extension of both, in my opinion..

I'll i'm getting at, is we mines well not even have draft threads and prospect threads, and talk about what players we think are good and bad, if were all just gonna say, "i don't care who we drafted, becasue in reese we trust"..lol Don't u feel we put in just alittle to much time on theese draft threads over the yrs, to be that way? don't u thnk we looked at just alittle to much film to be that way? I mean, if so, i will officaly be done on these draft threads, becasue its utterly a waste of time..

[/quote]

i agree and cosign this 100%

the whole reason why i started film studying the players more this year to be prepared for the draft is because of last year. we drafted JPP i was thoroughly pissed the **** off but i was pissed without a clue of who JPP was, the type of player he was his stats, his motor or love for the game. all i saw was DE and said omfg another DE.

When you put so much time into researching players some guys stand out to you and you feel that they fit this team best, sort of like an investment into the player, almost like your lobbying to others on these very boards why he fits the system. i use to be one of those poster that would say to someone like Nycsport, redeye STFU you fake *** couch GM, but seeing the time these guys put into; in their spare time of course cause we have lives, but nonetheless time into research. its unfair to say

we don't fall in love we simply see the benefits of the pairing of said player and team. this is the first year where i can name players the teams they played for, ranks and where they were graded all the way into the 7th round. i rather not listen to analyst i rater form my own conclusions, i've played this sport maybe not at the collegiate level but semi-pro ( brooklyn seminole ) high-school ( midwood hornets) pop warner ( prospect heights blue hawks) i have good knowledge of the game to look at tape whatever tape i can get and assess. might not be the same tape jerry is looking at but nonetheless its something. and until you put the time into it yourself you have no ground to call anyone anything, cause as fan's when gildbride calls a ****ing shotgun draw you say to yourself i would of done this, or when we zone instead of blitz you think we can do this better guess what your Arm chair coaching, when you ***** about Osi's *****ing and what you would do with his contract your Arm chair General managing.

just an un-narrow perspective

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now to the bucs moving up and the giants selecting wilson.

1. we will never know if wilson>martin or martin>wilson on reese's boards, he can say whatever he likes to us and the media you have to take it with a grain of salt and hope hes right.

the fact that denver was ahead of us the general consensus was that they were going to take either a DT/TE certainly not a RB; this is as far as consensus goes, pure speculation.
    the buc's moved up i would like to think that the broncos knew who the buc's wanted to trade up for so that is doesn't impede who they wanted to get so that rules out RB as the broncos choices.
    i can be wrong on that.

with the Buc's taking Martin who has surpassed Wilson as the second best RB on all analyst boards, including my own. its only fair to say that or deduct that martin was high on the giants board cause they chose the next best RB.

Jerry went on to say that they thought there was going to be a run on RB's in the second, that kind of hints a little that i might be a reach cause he predicted something that never happened only one RB got taken in the second.

which leads me to think had Martin been there he was probably going to be the pick. no fumble issues / good speed / can pick up blitzers / power back. he would of been week 1 ready, wilson has to work on keeping it high and tight and learning to pick up blocks in passing situations.

i also feel that RB probably was high on our boards of the pick @ 32 reese said the talent took a steep drop off after wilson. the buc's only traded up cause they probably thought the giant were going in the direction of RB and who was the next best after Richardson by consensus? Martin.

this altered what we possibly could of did at 32. if richardson was the only RB taken would reese of thought that there was going to be a run on RB's in the second? does he go another route say Still or Fleener? and hope that RB's just keep getting looked over until 63? if the buc's never traded up and it went as planned only change is giants don't pick wilson, denver picks whoever, then bucs in the second take martin and 9er's take either wilson or james and that leaves us with either wilson or james....

but we will never know so its a mute argument fellas

[/quote] well said.. I agree..

Veteran

[quote user="rainierjef"][quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="nycsportzfan"]

[quote user="BlueSanta"]this is what happens when armchair GMs fall in love with prospects.

[/quote] Well, to be fair, its all part of the draft process.. Sometimes your gonna love the picks, and sometimes your not.. What are u supposed to do, say u like something when u don't? Its not like Reese dosen't miss on picks lke every other GM.. He did pick Jay Alford, Andre Brown, Bryan Kehl, Ramses Barden, Travis Beckum(not enough production to warrent the pick yet), Andre Woodson, Phillip Dillard, Stoney Woodson, Clint Sintim, Rhett Bomar..etc I realize that i noted some mid to late rd picks, but i did so to show that there are misses mixed in throughout all rds.. I think there is enough misses to at least give your true feelings about the picks when there made.. Not to menton, whats the point of discussing picks, if all your gonna do is say , "i dislike the pick, but i trust reese"??? All u can do is make your case to why u do or don't like the pick and try and have "adult" like discussions.. TO me, theres more children like responses from the people who are all "reese rules" then the ones that are trying to be objective and discuss why they dont like the picks.. Its like your a enemy just becuase u don't agree with the pick.. I've put in enough time on these boards and int he draft threads, to at least be able to discuss why or why not i like a pick, without being treated like a dink, i would think..

I wonder where were all these people the last 4yrs, when i was all most annoyingly so having to debate as hard as ever, how great our drafts, and our UDF pickups were.. There were so many nay sayers, it was crazy!But, that was ok? The one yr i have some questions about some of our picks, is the one yr that the consensus loves it...lol Its strange, becasue the past several yrs, in my opinion, were hands down, easier drafts to sit back and say, "hey, we just killed it".. Thats just my opinoin of course, and i think the drafts of the past several yrs kinda support my arguement, seeing how those are the drafts, that got us saying " in reese we trust", right?

This is litteraly the first time i felt that we drafted just like other teams, and didn't just snatch up great values throughout.. Even when u do just snatch up great values, some won't hit, like a Ramses Barden, or Andre Brown proves, but it certainly in my opinon,gives u a better chance at hitting, i would think? I loved the fact we would take guys like Greg Jones in RD 6, while other teams passed em by because of this or that, and we'd just roll the dice on the fact the guy knows what hes doing, based on his production..

Either way, i dont think the draft was a big loss or anything, but i certainly have more questions about this draft, then any other draft we've had under reese...

[/quote]

Ok im gonna make 1 last attempt to cheer you up by addressing the 2 main picks you had a problem with, Wilson and Randle.

I know you were a Martin > Wilson guy. I have np with that, even though I didnt agree. The problem I have is that even though I was a Wilson guy, I acknowledged that they were very close prospects in value. I could understand why some had Martin over Wilson, even if I didnt agree. However, I do not think you do at all with regards to Wilson, I think you fell in love with Martin. Now, Ill make my case:

Look at it this way. Would you have rather given up 18 spots in the 4th and 22 picks in the 2nd round to choose Martin over Wilson? I am a Wilson guy, but I sure wouldnt have been happy if we had given up that much for Wilson over Martin. I think that is crazy. They were rated way to closely to give up that much for 1 over the other. Look at those 22 spots in the 2nd round, there are some pretty impressive guys who got selected there between pick 36 and pick 58 including the likes of Fleener, Glenn, Alshon Jeffery, Jenkins, Bobby Wagner, Jonathan Martin and many more. Look a those guys in the 4th, its a prettyi good list too, including Orson Charles, Ladarius Green, Evan Rodriguez, Robert Turbin, Nigel Bradham, Joe Adams to name a few.

Look at it from a value standpoint using the draft pick value chart. The Bucs moved up 5 spots from pick 36(540 point value) to pick 31(600 point value). That's a 60 point value jump they went up to get Martin.

You have been on record saying you liked the Bucs draft, I too like some of the players they got, but look how much they gave up to get Martin over Wilson:

-They swapped 2nd rounders , pick 36 to pick 58(-220 point value) and they swapped 4th rounders as well dropping from pick 101 to pick 126(-50 value.)

So from a pure value standpoint they gave up 270 points, roughly the equivalent of a mid 3rd round selection(equivalent of pick 76) in order to take Martin over Wilson. Look at pick 76 and tell me the guys on the board at that time arent worth more than whatever difference you percieve in these 2 backs. Here is a short list of player selected in that area: Brandon Brooks(pick 76), Mohamed Sanu(83), Bernard Pierce (84), Sean Spence(86), Demario Davis(77)

That is INSANELY poor value drafting on their part with regards to that pick.

Now lets talk about Ruben Randle. I know you werent fond of that pick either. Based on film and production I understood your point completely. You wanted Sanu(among others) over Randle. The problem is we have a fraction of the info on these 2 that Reese has. He interviewed both, he has doctors reports, strength training reports, intelligence tests etc . I have to believe there was a problem with Sanu that we couldnt see on film. I think there was likely a similar problem with regards to Cordy Glenn as well, a guy I liked very much for us.

I suspect, based on his answer to the media question posed to him leading up the draft about which NY team he would prefer to play for, that Sanu is not a smart kid. Not because he answered "The Jets", but because he answered period. Why alienate a prospective NFL team from drafting you? The moment I read that I knew 2 thing were probable 1) his interview with the Giants went very poorly. and/or 2) he is an idiot for Alienating a team that showed interest in him by bringing him in for an interview.

Conversely, we could not see how Ruben handled his interview. Maybe he showed aptitude beyond his age. Maybe he showed understanding of the offense leading the coaches to believe he can step in sooner. We have no idea what he showed. But whatever he did show, Reese liked it, and I trust Reese. Nycsport, redeye STFU you fake *** couch GM, but seeing the time these guys put into; in their spare time of course cause we have lives, but nonetheless time into research. its unfair to say

[/quote] As far as the value thing, it depends on who's board u look at.. Also, u gotta look at what the team(bucs in this case), all ready have, before analyzing what players they missed out on with pick they traded to move up and get martin.. They all ready drafted Mason Foster last yr, and just got Lavonte David this yr, and they just got Doug Martin, so that kinda makes Bernard PIerce a back they would never draft, especially with Blounte all ready on boad, and then they signed Vincent Jackson, and have Mike Williams and Arrelious Benn at WR, hence they have no need for Mo Sanu.. They even signed Carl Nicks in the offseason, which kinda rules out Brandon Brooks.. I'm making this point, because knowing that, they made the makes the move even better in my opinon of course..

But, back to saying, "i'm gonna try and cheer you up".. Did u see my last sentence, my friend?

EITHER WAY, I DON"T THINK THE DRAFT WAS A BIG LOSS OR ANYTHING BUT I CERTAINLY HAVE MORE QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS DRAFT THEN ANY OTHER FROM REESE.. Thats all i'm saying.. I do like the bucs draft alot, and its based on what they did in the offseason as well as what they did in the draft. For me, i combine everythign, and make my opinion, based on that.. The draft is a extension of FA'cy, and UDF's, are a extension of both, in my opinion..

I'll i'm getting at, is we mines well not even have draft threads and prospect threads, and talk about what players we think are good and bad, if were all just gonna say, "i don't care who we drafted, becasue in reese we trust"..lol Don't u feel we put in just alittle to much time on theese draft threads over the yrs, to be that way? don't u thnk we looked at just alittle to much film to be that way? I mean, if so, i will officaly be done on these draft threads, becasue its utterly a waste of time..

[/quote]

i agree and cosign this 100%

the whole reason why i started film studying the players more this year
    to be prepared for the draft is because of last year. we drafted JPP i
    was thoroughly pissed the **** off but i was pissed without a clue of
    who JPP was, the type of player he was his stats, his motor or love for
    the game. all i saw was DE and said omfg another DE.

When you put so much time into researching players some guys stand out
    to you and you feel that they fit this team best, sort of like an
    investment into the player, almost like your lobbying to others on these
    very boards why he fits the system. i use to be one of those poster
    that would say to someone like Nycsport, redeye STFU you fake *** couch
    GM, but seeing the time
    these guys put into; in their spare time of course cause we have lives,
    but nonetheless time into research. its unfair to say

we don't fall in love we simply see the benefits of the pairing of
    said player and team. this is the first year where i can name players
    the teams they played for, ranks and where they were graded all the way
    into the 7th round. i rather not listen to analyst i rater form my own
    conclusions, i've played this sport maybe not at the collegiate level
    but semi-pro ( brooklyn seminole ) high-school ( midwood hornets) pop
    warner ( prospect heights blue hawks) i have good knowledge of the game
    to look at tape whatever tape i can get and assess. might not be the
    same tape jerry is looking at but nonetheless its something. and until
    you put the time into it yourself you have no ground to call anyone
    anything, cause as fan's when gildbride calls a ****ing shotgun draw you
    say to yourself i would of done this, or when we zone instead of blitz
    you think we can do this better guess what your Arm chair coaching, when
    you ***** about Osi's *****ing and what you would do with his contract
    your Arm chair General managing.

just an un-narrow perspective

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. we will never know if wilson>martin or martin>wilson on reese's boards, he can say whatever he likes to us and the media you have to take it with a grain of salt and hope hes right.

the fact that denver was ahead of us the general consensus was that they were going to take either a DT/TE certainly not a RB; this is as far as consensus goes, pure speculation.
    the buc's moved up i would like to think that the broncos knew who the buc's wanted to trade up for so that is doesn't impede who they wanted to get so that rules out RB as the broncos choices.
    i can be wrong on that.

with the Buc's taking Martin who has surpassed Wilson as the second best RB on all analyst boards, including my own. its only fair to say that or deduct that martin was high on the giants board cause they chose the next best RB.

Jerry went on to say that they thought there was going to be a run on RB's in the second, that kind of hints a little that i might be a reach cause he predicted something that never happened only one RB got taken in the second.

which leads me to think had Martin been there he was probably going to be the pick. no fumble issues / good speed / can pick up blitzers / power back. he would of been week 1 ready, wilson has to work on keeping it high and tight and learning to pick up blocks in passing situations.

i also feel that RB probably was high on our boards of the pick @ 32 reese said the talent took a steep drop off after wilson. the buc's only traded up cause they probably thought the giant were going in the direction of RB and who was the next best after Richardson by consensus? Martin.

this altered what we possibly could of did at 32. if richardson was the only RB taken would reese of thought that there was going to be a run on RB's in the second? does he go another route say Still or Fleener? and hope that RB's just keep getting looked over until 63? if the buc's never traded up and it went as planned only change is giants don't pick wilson, denver picks whoever, then bucs in the second take martin and 9er's take either wilson or james and that leaves us with either wilson or james....

but we will never know so its a mute argument fellas

[/quote]

I think a lot of people get invested in players, hell I also wanted Fleener more then anything. I thought he would really open up our offense. However, I also wanted Brian Robiskie over Hakeem Nicks a few years back so, yeah, the draft is a complete crap-shoot.

However, I get the chance some people think Jerry is lying about where he had Martin and I disagree with that assessment. Garafalo has trusted sources who mentioned that the Giants did indeed have Wilson number 2. Garafalo usually tells it like it is so I don't think either he or his sources or lying, why would they? I mean I understand why some people think Jerry would but I don't think it serves a point for his sources to lie.

I did like Martin pre draft since everyone here was talking about him. However, its become more and more important that Wilson is simply a better runner then Martin is. He even was at the college level. He has better balance, burst, and power in his game that Martin does IMO. Either would have been great as Martin has arguably better hands and can pass protect better.

[quote user="rainierjef"]

[/quote]

I agree with a lot that you said. But this segment I cut out and the highlighted part is the part I am going to focus on because it just is NOT true.

A lot of analysts had varying grades on Rbs. For example, Kiper had Lamichael James as the #2 back in the draft. Saying "everyone" had Martin there there is just wrong. Walterfootball said after the combine that Wilson was the clear cut #2 back in many team's eyes. I agree we will never know what the Giants rb board looked like for sure, but in my opinion, the mere fact that they chose Wilson over Glenn, Fleener and some others tells me they must have had him very highly rated.

But, again, it doesnt matter who is #1 or #2 between Martin v Wilson. My issue is with people, like NYC, praising the Bucs draft after trading up to select Martin ahead of us. The reason , as I said above, is because even if you liked Martin more than Wilson, you have to admit that they were very close prospects. If you liked Wilson, as I did, it could only be slightly over Martin, . If you liked Martin, it could only be slightly over Wilson. Anything more, and you are "falling in love" and being dishonest with yourself, something the Bucs CLEARLY did because they gave away the value of a 3rd round pick in order to take Martin over Wilson. Ill say it again would you rather have Wilson and Jayron Hosely? Or would you rather have just Martin? Because on a value basis, the Bucs chose the later. They clearly "fell in love" with a prospect. The fact that NYC praises them for this move says to me that he did too.

I actually wouldnt have had a problem at all if we had selected Martin. I said I liked Wilson more but I completely understand how close a race it was. NYC immediately posted in the draft thread how it was a "bad pick." Thats fine, it is his opinion. But then in the 2nd leading up to our pick, all the TV analysts, including Mayock, all were saying how Randle is the best guy on the board. Yet, NYC was already up in arms praying we not pick him. Again, thats fine its his opinion. But you then cant turn around and argue how "all the analysts" had martin over Wilson AND then complain about Randle who "all the analysts" actually said was clearly the best value on the board. Its hypicritical. You just say it is a bad pick because you didnt like him.

This thread is about people forgetting to "Trust reese." Everyone has opinions, me included, I certainly would have picked some guys differently. I freely admit even prior to the draft that I hoped Cordy Glenn fell to us. But, I am not self centered enough to accuse Reese of having "his worst draft" or "breaking away from his mold" based on my opinions. I recognize that Reese has WAY more info at his disposal than I do, and is a proven 2 time superowl winning GM. If he says David Wilson is better for us than Cordy Glenn, for whatever reason, I believe him. I do not accuse him of "our worst draft in years."

Veteran

[quote user="BlueSanta"][quote user="rainierjef"]

[/quote]

I agree with a lot that you said. But this segment I cut out and the highlighted part is the part I am going to focus on because it just is NOT true.

A lot of analysts had varying grades on Rbs. For example, Kiper had Lamichael James as the #2 back in the draft. Saying "everyone" had Martin there there is just wrong. Walterfootball said after the combine that Wilson was the clear cut #2 back in many team's eyes. I agree we will never know what the Giants rb board looked like for sure, but in my opinion, the mere fact that they chose Wilson over Glenn, Fleener and some others tells me they must have had him very highly rated.

But, again, it doesnt matter who is #1 or #2 between Martin v Wilson. My issue is with people, like NYC, praising the Bucs draft after trading up to select Martin ahead of us. The reason , as I said above, is because even if you liked Martin more than Wilson, you have to admit that they were very close prospects. If you liked Wilson, as I did, it could only be slightly over Martin, . If you liked Martin, it could only be slightly over Wilson. Anything more, and you are "falling in love" and being dishonest with yourself, something the Bucs CLEARLY did because they gave away the value of a 3rd round pick in order to take Martin over Wilson. Ill say it again would you rather have Wilson and Jayron Hosely? Or would you rather have just Martin? Because on a value basis, the Bucs chose the later. They clearly "fell in love" with a prospect. The fact that NYC praises them for this move says to me that he did too.

I actually wouldnt have had a problem at all if we had selected Martin. I said I liked Wilson more but I completely understand how close a race it was. NYC immediately posted in the draft thread how it was a "bad pick." Thats fine, it is his opinion. But then in the 2nd leading up to our pick, all the TV analysts, including Mayock, all were saying how Randle is the best guy on the board. Yet, NYC was already up in arms praying we not pick him. Again, thats fine its his opinion. But you then cant turn around and argue how "all the analysts" had martin over Wilson AND then complain about Randle who "all the analysts" actually said was clearly the best value on the board. Its hypicritical. You just say it is a bad pick because you didnt like him.

This thread is about people forgetting to "Trust reese." Everyone has opinions, me included, I certainly would have picked some guys differently. I freely admit even prior to the draft that I hoped Cordy Glenn fell to us. But, I am not self centered enough to accuse Reese of having "his worst draft" or "breaking away from his mold" based on my opinions. I recognize that Reese has WAY more info at his disposal than I do, and is a proven 2 time superowl winning GM. If he says David Wilson is better for us than Cordy Glenn, for whatever reason, I believe him. I do not accuse him of "our worst draft in years."
    [/quote]

+1

very well said.

[quote user="BlueSanta"] I actually wouldnt have had a problem at all if we had selected Martin. I said I liked Wilson more but I completely understand how close a race it was. NYC immediately posted in the draft thread how it was a "bad pick." Thats fine, it is his opinion. But then in the 2nd leading up to our pick, all the TV analysts, including Mayock, all were saying how Randle is the best guy on the board. Yet, NYC was already up in arms praying we not pick him. Again, thats fine its his opinion. But you then cant turn around and argue how "all the analysts" had martin over Wilson AND then complain about Randle who "all the analysts" actually said was clearly the best value on the board. Its hypicritical. You just say it is a bad pick because you didnt like him[/quote]

BlueSanta, you are beating on a dead horse. He will never undestand nor get it. He will stay very hard to his silly beliefs about his anti-draft agenda of what the Giants did

"IN REESE WE TRUST"

[quote user="JacksGiant76"]But don't you get the feeling they only picked him because Martin was gone? Doesn't Cordy Glenn or Stephen Hill make a little more sense? Not saying this guys going to be bad, just seems like he's another Bradshaw, not a bad thing, but I don't feel like we got better with this pick.

I kind of thought we could address RB later in the draft.
    [/quote]

This isn't a comment just for you so please don't take it personally. The team has an entire staff of professionals who do nothing all year long but observe, track and evaluate college talent. They talk to players' coaches, trainers, and almost anyone else who can help the scouts form a complete picture of the players including any personal indiscretions.

Then they watch film, attend games focusing on players of interest, and on and on it goes. By the time a player announces he's coming out of college, they have amassed tons of information that they use to create their draft boards.

Do any of us really believe we could possibly know better?
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

[/quote]

[/quote] First off, Mayock, who seems to be praised around here, Had Doug Martin as his 17th ranked prospect, and david WIlson as his 33rd ranked prospect, so was he falling in love with Doug Martin, because thats a pretty big diffrence?

2nd off, get your facts straight if your gonna try and quote people on what they said about the draft.. go back and take a look at what i said right after the draft pick of David Wilson.. YOur right, some actually said they hated the pick, REDEYE said "AWFUL PICK", and a few others said things similar, but my exact words were " I DON"T CARE FOR THE PICK, THINK WE'D OF TAKEN DOUG MARTIN IF HE WERE THERE"... NO more, no less..

So i will ask, what are u talking about? I continuously said, i just didn't like the value.. I never said the guy is gonna stink or anything like that.. I truly believe Doug Martin would of been the guy, so what????? Is that so far fetched to you? And u act like i'm the only one who loved the BUCS move of trading up for Doug Martin.. Do u not see they all ready had drafted for there secondary with Mark Barron, and did wonders in FA'cy, so they felt more then fine with passing on Jayron Hosley.. As much as i like Hosley, i don't find it far fetched to think a team that did very well in FA'cy and in RD 1, and knowing they had more picks still, were ok with getting Doug Martin who they liked alot, as many did, compared to having David Wilson and Jayron Hosley... I don't think there sitting back saying, "oh man, we missed out on Jayron Hosley"...lol Some people do think theres a big diffrence between Doug Martin and David Wilson, and some don't.. Its not a 1way street, and only a couple feel that way... Almost every where i looked, people had Doug Martin ahead of David Wilson, and he flew past em in a short period of time...

I've always stood by that, as i was saying that in our draft thread months ago.. I was saying Doug Martin was clearly the 2nd best back behind Tr Richardson well before he was even guranteed to go in RD 2, let alone RD 1! And as far as Randle, i just don't like em, so what? He reminds me to much of Brandon Lafell.. Sure, the Value was right, but i just coulden't get on board with the pick... But again, i never said I HATE THE WILSON PICK, or That i think WILSON won't help.. Hes intriguing, i just didn't care for the Value, is all.. So, next time write the right things, when trying to quote people..

[/quote]

[/quote] Heres my Post to u about the pick... Wanna tell me where i said it was a bad pick??? Just hering what u wanna here, ey???Notice the "all though thats just my opinion, i can't be for sure", part?? hmmm? Dosen't look like i was just like "bad pick" and thats all, ey??

"The bucs knew we were taking a RB, andi think it was clear that Martin had the more complete package, hence why teams traded up for him, and hes moved ahead of Wlson and Miller almost by every draft guru around, except a few exceptions.. I'm telling you my friend, Martin is next to be the R.Rice/MJD line of RB.. Don't get me wrong, i know Wilson has some upside and could be a HR for us, i just didn't care for the value, nor a couple small things he does, like try to make yards by going back wards when the play is clearly dead in teh water... I also don't care for his body type, i kinda wanted a back that was gonna be able to be a workhorse if need be, and Doug Martin has a body builders frame, and i think could take a pounding over the yrs better, all though thats just my opinion, i can't say for sure....

Either way, i can't wait to see Wilson get on the field, and i'm still very excited to have em, just not a back i was super high on, and the way the first rd played out, i thoguht there was better value..."

Ill start by addressing your talk of body type. [quote user="nycsportzfan"]and just look at all the best backs in the league, guys like Ray Rice,
    MJD, Foster, AP, Forte,Mike Turner, Steven Jackson..etc Almost all the
    best backs in the league are bigger then Wilson..[/quote]But, I will compare apples to apples, unlike you. You say Wilson will only be a tandem back and Martin wont. You based this on Wilson's combine weight of 206.

Here are some combine weights of some players, many of whom you brought up(and more). MJD wieghed 207 , Ray Rice weighed 199,
    LeSean McCoy weight 204. Barry Sanders 200lbs, Emitt Smith 206lbs

So, you have 3 of the top 5 leading rushers in the NFL last year who
    weight the same or less as Wilson at the combine and you have the 2 most
    productive rushers in NFL history who weighed less than Wilson coming
    out of college. Oh and lastly, Wilson's height /weight right now is identical to what Tiki's was during his prime, thought he too weighed much less coming out of college. But, I thank you for bringing up some of those players to help prove yourself incorrect. Oh , and Wilson is only 20 so he has time to add weight if needed just like all those other backs you brought up that backfired on you.

Now, onto your comments about the picks itself:

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]Awful pick[/quote] I
    don't care for it either.. I'm almost certain we'd of taken Doug Martin
    now, if he were there...[/quote]

That gem was immediately after the pick. Im sure you must have some inside connection because no WAY would Reese's opinion vary from your's....

Here is your comment shortly after the 1st round pick which supports the hypocrisy I pointed out above about refering to analyst points when it helps you but not when it hurts you [quote user="nycsportzfan"] It takes a special RB to get into Mike Mayocks top 20 in my opinion[/quote]

Interestingly enough when it was our turn to pick Mayock said on TV " The Giants always go Value. So, maybe a guy like David Wilson." but, that means nothing to you.

Then when asked at our 63rd pick( and a couple picks before it) who was the absolute best value pick on the board at that time Mayock said "Rueben Randle" but your response to the pick was[quote user="nycsportzfan"]wow, this sucks...[/quote] Mayock's opinion doesnt matter to you anymore?

In fact, you also said just prior to the pick and after it ....[quote user="nycsportzfan"]I'd rather have Sanu then Randle..[/quote] Yet, Mayock had Sanu as a late 3rd rounder and Randle as a 2nd rounder.

So again, according to you, our draft after the 1st 2 rounds "sucks" because you didnt agree with it, not because it wasnt a good value pick, which Mayock said was the case as did Reese. nah, by then you got off the Mayock Bandwagon and went with Kiper because mayock's opinion doesnt agree with you anymore "[quote user="nycsportzfan"] Kiper says he(Randle) didn't see explosion.. Wow,
    bad shuttle, bad vertical... Hard to fall in love with him on tape..
    Great! Love hereing all this great stuff.[/quote]

You quote whoever supports your opinion...... You think Kiper knows more than Reese??

So tell me again, how exactly did you trust in Reese? How did you not complain about our picks? Please tell me how you didnt say this mock was Reese "breaking his mold" based only on the fact that he didnt pick the guys you wanted. Seriously, i could dig up way more that thread is very deep. I never got to some of the other picks you didnt like.

So again, Im sorry we didnt pick your guys. Many of the picks we agreed on, like Allen. I thought he might be our 2nd round pick. But, I think I have said it many times before the draft. If I like someone and it turns out Reese doesnt, Ill be happy to go with his choice over mine. But, not you. Nah, you only like the picks we made that YOU predicted. You just complain and whine about it and commend all the teams that picked "your guys" as having had a good draft, even if they WAY overpaid for the pick(like the bucs did for Martin.) Then, when someone tries to show you a different view, you call them names or go on the attack.

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]What are u talking about? Your a complete idiot, dude.. Get lost, u buffon![/quote]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"]Stop drinking, dude.. [/quote]

[quote user="nycsportzfan"] Shut up, u freaing dweeb! [/quote]
    [quote user="nycsportzfan"] Wow, you are seriously like a 4yr old.[/quote]

I think this says it all. There is no need to debate with you anymore. In fact, I dont even have to debate you because your own words contradict you left and right as the post above shows.

[quote user="BlueSanta"]

Ill start by addressing your talk of body type. [quote user="nycsportzfan"]and just look at all the best backs in the league, guys like Ray Rice, MJD, Foster, AP, Forte,Mike Turner, Steven Jackson..etc Almost all the best backs in the league are bigger then Wilson..[/quote]But, I will compare apples to apples, unlike you. You say Wilson will only be a tandem back and Martin wont. You based this on Wilson's combine weight of 206.

Here are some combine weights of some players, many of whom you brought up(and more). MJD wieghed 207 , Ray Rice weighed 199, LeSean McCoy weight 204. Barry Sanders 200lbs, Emitt Smith 206lbs

So, you have 3 of the top 5 leading rushers in the NFL last year who weight the same or less as Wilson at the combine and you have the 2 most productive rushers in NFL history who weighed less than Wilson coming out of college. Oh and lastly, Wilson's height /weight right now is identical to what Tiki's was during his prime, thought he too weighed much less coming out of college. But, I thank you for bringing up some of those players to help prove yourself incorrect. Oh , and Wilson is only 20 so he has time to add weight if needed just like all those other backs you brought up that backfired on you.

Now, onto your comments about the picks itself:

[quote user="nycsportzfan"][quote user="Redeyejedi"]Awful pick[/quote] I don't care for it either.. I'm almost certain we'd of taken Doug Martin now, if he were there...[/quote]

That gem was immediately after the pick. Im sure you must have some inside connection because no WAY would Reese's opinion vary from your's....

Here is your comment shortly after the 1st round pick which supports the hypocrisy I pointed out above about refering to analyst points when it helps you but not when it hurts you [quote user="nycsportzfan"] It takes a special RB to get into Mike Mayocks top 20 in my opinion[/quote]

Interestingly enough when it was our turn to pick Mayock said on TV " The Giants always go Value. So, maybe a guy like David Wilson." but, that means nothing to you.

Then when asked at our 63rd pick( and a couple picks before it) who was the absolute best value pick on the board at that time Mayock said "Rueben Randle" but your response to the pick was[quote user="nycsportzfan"]wow, this sucks...[/quote] Mayock's opinion doesnt matter to you anymore?

In fact, you also said just prior to the pick and after it ....[quote user="nycsportzfan"]I'd rather have Sanu then Randle..[/quote] Yet, Mayock had Sanu as a late 3rd rounder and Randle as a 2nd rounder.

So again, according to you, our draft after the 1st 2 rounds "sucks" because you didnt agree with it, not because it wasnt a good value pick, which Mayock said was the case as did Reese. nah, by then you got off the Mayock Bandwagon and went with Kiper because mayock's opinion doesnt agree with you anymore "[quote user="nycsportzfan"] Kiper says he(Randle) didn't see explosion.. Wow, bad shuttle, bad vertical... Hard to fall in love with him on tape.. Great! Love hereing all this great stuff.[/quote]

You quote whoever supports your opinion...... You think Kiper knows more than Reese??

So tell me again, how exactly did you trust in Reese? How did you not complain about our picks? Please tell me how you didnt say this mock was Reese "breaking his mold" based only on the fact that he didnt pick the guys you wanted. Seriously, i could dig up way more that thread is very deep. I never got to some of the other picks you didnt like.

So again, Im sorry we didnt pick your guys. Many of the picks we agreed on, like Allen. I thought he might be our 2nd round pick. But, I think I have said it many times before the draft. If I like someone and it turns out Reese doesnt, Ill be happy to go with his choice over mine. But, not you. Nah, you only like the picks we made that YOU predicted. You just complain and whine about it and commend all the teams that picked "your guys" as having had a good draft, even if they WAY overpaid for the pick(like the bucs did for Martin.) Then, when someone tries to show you a different view, you call them names or go on the attack.
    [quote user="nycsportzfan"]What are u talking about? Your a complete idiot, dude.. Get lost, u buffon![/quote]
    [quote user="nycsportzfan"]Stop drinking, dude.. [/quote]
    [quote user="nycsportzfan"] Shut up, u freaing dweeb! [/quote]
    [quote user="nycsportzfan"] Wow, you are seriously like a 4yr old.[/quote]

I think this says it all. There is no need to debate with you anymore. In fact, I dont even have to debate you because your own words contradict you left and right as the post above shows.

[/quote] First of all, u always post what u want, without all the facts.. In response to me calling that dude a bafoon, was because of the way he was responding to me, in many diffrent posts, like a child all most.. And the way he had spoke to many others as well.. I'm not gonna go get all the posts, but trust me he had it coming.. I never spoke to any body like that other then that immature kid... He deserved it.. He can't debate without being ridiculously immature if u don't agree.. I never and mean, NEVER, call any one anything unless there the instigator first.. So, that settles that..

2nd of, u bring up GEM? because i said, i didn't care for it eitehr?? WHOOOAAA!! HOLY COW! I'm just tearing down the draft, holy smokes!!!!(SARCASM)...LMAO! Get real, dude!!! Seriously, that wasen't me, who said "AWFUL PICK".. And there was quite a few others with remarks similar to that..

I'm still waiting for u to post where i said that by the way? U did say that i said that in a above post, right? I really don't see how saying "i don't care for it either", is the same as saying it was a horrible, or awful pick? Did u again, forget to post this part that i said?
    I bet you did forget that, ey?? Keep spewing your garbage, my friend..Maybe u got mixed up with Redeyes or Lawl or one of the others that downed the pick like that, but u are sorely mistaken with me , my friend.. The only draft pick i truly didn't like was REUBEN RANDLE.. Wow, i'm such a draft trasher!!! I'll try and be a robot for you next yr, and not say my Opinion, which i did mention about 100times, that it was only my opinion.. Guess that didn't make it into your inquisitive posts either, ey? Its called a discussion, and i was saying what i felt about the paticular player, and actually, i had it on ESPN, and not NFL.COM, so i coulden't really tell what Mayock or anyone was saying about each individul pick, if thats OK with you?

I'm still wondering how me saying what Mel Kiper said about Reuben Randle, and me posting about not being excited about what he said, has anything to do with me bringing up mayocks opinon or anyones for that matter??? What are u talking about????LMAO!

"Either way, i can't wait to see Wilson get on the field, and i'm still very excited to have em, just not a back i was super high on, and the way the first rd played out, i thoguht there was better value..."

+ Reply to Thread