+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Has our dominant pass rush influenced the draft?

It seems that way... 10 defensive linemen taken in the first round (3 DT, 7 DE). Not to mention the Patriots trading up TWICE (something they almost never do even once) and selecting Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower.

It seems as though pass rushers are in high demand. Was it just trending towards this, or did our epic run have something to do with it?

Either way, after seeing Eli strut his adamantium skeleton in the NFCCG, i'm no longer afraid of any pass rush.

Re: Has our dominant pass rush influenced the draft?

[quote user="Toadofsteel"]It seems that way... 10 defensive linemen taken in the first round (3 DT, 7 DE). Not to mention the Patriots trading up TWICE (something they almost never do even once) and selecting Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower.

It seems as though pass rushers are in high demand. Was it just trending towards this, or did our epic run have something to do with it?

Either way, after seeing Eli strut his adamantium skeleton in the NFCCG, i'm no longer afraid of any pass rush.[/quote]

I don't think so, teams have always highly valued pass rushers.

New England needed to add playmakers to their defense and they did just that.

Veteran

[quote user="Spider-Man"][quote user="Toadofsteel"]It seems that way... 10 defensive linemen taken in the first round (3 DT, 7 DE). Not to mention the Patriots trading up TWICE (something they almost never do even once) and selecting Chandler Jones and Dont'a Hightower.

Either way, after seeing Eli strut his adamantium skeleton in the NFCCG, i'm no longer afraid of any pass rush.[/quote]

I don't think so, teams have always highly valued pass rushers.

New England needed to add playmakers to their defense and they did just that.[/quote] their secondary is still very weak ... Chandler jones was nice & Hightower paired with mayo fairly menacing but that secondary is Swiss cheese.

I thought the same thing. Its a copycat league. There's always been a premium on explosive pass rushers, but seems like teams are going to follow the giants blueprint towards success.

I laugh at myself now, because for years i would always yell, another DE????? Are we going to just start 11 DEs on D? So silly i was back then. I've learned not to question this organization.
    XXI, XXV, XLII, XLVI
    GIANTS CHAMPS!!!!

they should have began copying them 4 years ago. its the blueprint on how to beat the spread offense.

LOL...I was thinking something along the same lines. I actually came up with 2 theories to this years draft. Either teams wanted to follow our "blue print" with pass rushers, OR the 31 other teams were/are so sick of seeing us being successful with our pass rush, that they basically said there is no way we are letting the NYG get any 1st round talent at DL!!!

I think Jerry Reese in general has influenced the draft. BPA, pass rushers etc...I see teams following trend and looking more at depth than need...which I think is Reese's style.

[quote user="titwio"]I think Jerry Reese in general has influenced the draft. BPA, pass rushers etc...I see teams following trend and looking more at depth than need...which I think is Reese's style.[/quote]

Jerry Reese??? Don't forget who taught JR everything he knows. Ernie Acorrsi coined the phrase "you can never have enough pass rushers"! This has been our way long before JR has been here. It's not a knock on Jerry, just a compliment to his mentor.

I dont think it has anything to do with us in particular. The NFL is becoming a pass first league. The last three SB champions NO, GB, andNYG have won with pass heavy offenses. The best way to negate the pass is with an effective pass rush.

Every draft is deep at different positions. This draft has been noted for its depth at several positions including DE, but not as many superstar players as other drafts. I think next year the LBs are supposed to be deep. It changes from year to year.

In the tough times we find out who we are...that's why I know VC will be back better than ever in 2015. #80 NYG4life!

of course it has.

Copy cat league and teams are figuring out that you don't have to bow down to the Brady Breese or Rogers (Peyton?)...You just have to pressure them.

Seattle took a situational pass rusher in the first round? Mayock says the guy can't play on first down and at like 245lbs he'll never be an every down DE which in the past would have elimiated him from first round contentions,...maybe first two round contention.

The Giants have definately altered the trend.
    My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of the Super Bowl 46: Dad, are the Giants gonna win?

Burier: Yes.

My 5 year old son right before the kickoff of Super Bowl 46: Do you promise?

Burier: Yes. I promise.