+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Were they going to draft Martin?

Has anyone said or not if the Giants were going with Martin until TB snuck in? It looked like they spent an awful long time on the clock, maybe they were caught off guard by the TB trade. I still like the pick, it'll be interesting to see who the better back is going to be.

All-Pro

Re: Were they going to draft Martin?

Some posters are saying hat it has been reported that Reese had Wilson higher on his board. Some other posters insist he just had to say this. Personally, I don't see why he wold have to lie. The kid looks like a guy he Giants like. He runs vary hard and can be an asset in the cold weather when and if they get back tompoundingbthe ball. Add to that he has elite speed.

It was also said that they where entertaining trade options with the pick.

IMHO I think the Giants were poised to select Doug Martin but the Bucs jumped up and took him.
    I wanted the Giants to trade down from 32 so bad. I was po when the vikings moved up at 29 and the bucs did at 31.
    The Giants could have picked anyone.
    I would have selected OT Martin. Then their OL would be better set at T.
    They could have drafted Fleener at TE or a WR.

I am ok with Wilson. He is like Eagles McCoy.
    I'm not hating the pick.
    There is a long way to go so i am not worried.
    I per

Garafalo said the Cordy Glenn was the highest player on the board for the Giants "was for me 2 by a large margin" but they were worried if they waited they wouldnt get 1 of the top backs. They are probably right in that regard and it was imperative that they landed a top back.
    Personally Im not as high on Turbin or Pierce like a lot are here. For me they needed to land
    either
    1.Richardson
    2.Martin
    3.Wilson
    4. Cyrus Gray
    5.Lamar Miller
    6. Chris Polk
    after that i thought the talent level dropped off.

I started looking at RB's a lot harder after BJ left and Miller really scared me. Im glad the Giants didnt pick him. When I went back and looked at Cyrus Gray's 2010 tape I remembered why I liked him so much coming into the season. He had nagging injuries this year and it showed. I really thought he was the best fit and value for the Giants.

I think a lot of fans wanted Martin. JR never came out and said what RB was #2 on his board. Moorhead guessed it right, but it was purely a guess. I trust JR. I didn't like the JPP pick when the name was called, but like always I support all of our picks once it's done, until they show me they can't cut it. I thought Kiwi was a good DE and with him and Osi at RDE we'd be set. I never thought we could keep 3 starter quality DEs. This is why BPA is sucha great strategy. Osiand Kiwiare real good, but JPP has shown us potential for GREATNESS! 20+ sacks after his first 2 seasons and he still doesn't know how to play the position.I'm a believer. Now we have a starter at RDE for the next 10 years hopefully (cross my fingers).

The competition is set for camp. Best case scenario is a two back system with Bradshaw and Wilson/Scott.Blocking is the only concern.

In the tough times we find out who we are.

Per Reese, he was saying if he could get the "motherload" in a trade into the 2nd round, he would have traded back. That's what took so long. Wilson was higher then martin on their board which was confirmed by Reese and Coughlin. This guy has all the intangibles the giants like...great character, hard worker, motivator, leader....dude even wore a suit to school/combine....I won't even mention his shifty, thick, and has 4.3 speed.

Look at the tape between him and martin... Comparably, not much difference in vision and wilson seems a bit quicker. personally love this pick.

All-Pro

[quote user="buddy33"]Some posters are saying hat it has been reported that Reese had Wilson higher on his board. Some other posters insist he just had to say this. Personally, I don't see why he wold have to lie. The kid looks like a guy he Giants like. He runs vary hard and can be an asset in the cold weather when and if they get back tompoundingbthe ball. Add to that he has elite speed. It was also said that they where entertaining trade options with the pick.[/quote]

i would think they were trying to trade back a few spots b/c they probably knew their guy would still be there

Once Hightower and Harrison SMith were off the board, thats when The Giants made up their minds to go for a RB in the first round. I think they liked Wilson better than Martin. I agree.

[quote user="B&RWarrior"]

I think a lot of fans wanted Martin. JR never came out and said what RB was #2 on his board. Moorhead guessed it right, but it was purely a guess. I trust JR. I didn't like the JPP pick when the name was called, but like always I support all of our picks once it's done, until they show me they can't cut it. I thought Kiwi was a good DE and with him and Osi at RDE we'd be set. I never thought we could keep 3 starter quality DEs. This is why BPA is sucha great strategy. Osiand Kiwiare real good, but JPP has shown us potential for GREATNESS! 20+ sacks after his first 2 seasons and he still doesn't know how to play the position.I'm a believer. Now we have a starter at RDE for the next 10 years hopefully (cross my fingers).

The competition is set for camp. Best case scenario is a two back system with Bradshaw and Wilson/Scott.Blocking is the only concern.

[/quote]

I wasn't predicting who we would pick. I was telling everyone who I wanted us to pick. I was pleasently surprised by the Wilson pick. I thought we would go D line actually.

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi

Veteran

Here's the one thing that is certain. Wilson is more explosive than Martin. Reese's track record lately has been to go for the guy with a chance to take it to the house. These aren't Parcells' Giants of Rodney Hampton and OJ Anderson plodding to 3 yards and a cloud of dust. We are an explosive offense and this guy if he pans out fills that bill.