+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Don't expect Wilson to get alot of carries.......

in his rookie year, unless there's an injury.

This coaching staff has consistently shown that until a back can prove that he's got his pass protection assignments down so our franchise QB isn't at risk on passing plays, they just don't see alot of field time.

that's the way it was with Jacobs, Bradshaw, and Scott.

I suspect other than on obvious running plays,Wilson will have to cut his teeth picking up blitzers before he's given the ball alot.

and by the sounds of things, that's something that's been acknowledged as a skill he needs to improve on already.

Either way, love the type of back he is, and hate the fans that hate this pick.

Reese, i ripped you last offseason, and i learned my lesson.

I'm all in on this FO's drafting strategy, whatever it is.

Re: Don't expect Martin to get alot of carries.......

You put Martin instead of Wilson.

Also think Wilson is going to be a solid contributor this year. He'll get his carries and contribute heavily on specials and in the return game...imo

Re: Don't expect Martin to get alot of carries.......

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

This coaching staff has consistently shown that until a back can prove that he's got his pass protection assignments down so our franchise QB isn't at risk on passing plays, they just don't see alot of field time.

I suspect other than on obvious running plays, Martin will have to cut his teeth picking up blitzers before he's given the ball alot.

and by the sounds of things, that's something that's been acknowledged as a skill he needs to improve on already.

[/quote]

Why are you talking about the Bucs pic? We drafted Wilson. I think you meant Wilson right?

Re: Don't expect Wilson to get alot of carries.......

i'm talking about the Bucs pic because through 16,000 posts i've secretly been a Bucs fan all along

or

i haven't had my morning coffee and i'm a knob.

probably #2 i think.

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

I suspect other than on obvious running plays,Wilson will have to cut his teeth picking up blitzers before he's given the ball alot.

[/quote]

That and if he knows what's good for him, when he is given his chances in pre-season, he better not fumble the ball because TC will burry him on the depth chart.

The kidwill fumble and miss blocks and make the kind of mistakes that rookies make. TC has zero tolerance for any of that foolishness, so we may not see a lot of him if he doesn't learn from his mistakes. Bradshaw fumbled a lot. He still fumbles every now and then. We were blessed to fall on his fumbles during our mythical SB run.

If he shows he's a homerun hitter we will play him. Remember how Tiki used to fumble. It didn't matter, he was too good to take off the field. We just kept giving him the ball until he corrected the problem. I think JR sees a lot of Tiki in Wilson's potential. I do.

In the tough times we find out who we are.

[quote user="nhpgiantsfan"][quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

[/quote]

That and if he knows what's good for him, when he is given his chances in pre-season, he better not fumble the ball because TC will burry him on the depth chart.

[/quote]doubt they bury a 1st rounder
    he might not get a lot of work but no chance he ever gets buried

Veteran

[quote user="bansaw"][quote user="nhpgiantsfan"][quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

[/quote]

[/quote]doubt they bury a 1st rounder
    he might not get a lot of work but no chance he ever gets buried
    [/quote]

I agree.

I understand OP comments, and agree, TC isn't going to rush out a guy that can't pass protect.

But this kid is going to get his carries....he'll be worked into the offense, gradually.

A big difference between last year and this season is that Jacobs is gone, and right now, Bradshaw continues to have foot problems.

TC Quotes:

“He’s the kind of a guy who will add very much to our present situation in terms of the big play-potential,’’ coach Tom Coughlin said. “He’s one of those guys who has the speed and the maneuverability to make the big play.’’

Reese Quotes:

“He’s a terrific football player,’’ Reese said. “This guy loves to play football. He can do anything you want him to do. He’s a good piece to add to our running back stable.’’

Veteran

Regarding the fumbles, Coughlin addressed that:

He has had a problem with fumbles in his career — seven last year — because of what Coughlin described as “flamboyant all over the place stuff’’ but added “he just has to learn.’’

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...#ixzz1tFYNZsDJ

But, when you watch the tape, he's carrying the ball high and tight. Fundamentally, he's fine. And I'm sure he's going to be coached up to understand that with Eli Manning, Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks, etc on offense, the team isn't expecting - or wants to see - the wacky stuff he pulled in college.

In short, if he wants to see the field, he's going to stick with the designed play, and protect the ball.

As far as pass protection....I'm sure that will come. But they didn't draft him for his blocking ability...the ball is supposed to be in his hands.

[quote user="CDN_G-FAN"]

[/quote]

I expect 10 to 12 touches a game minimum for Wilson this coming year. I see him at least splitting time with Bradshaw.

"Phil Simms is the greatest QB in Giants history" ........Mahatma Gandhi