+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

Re: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

someone do a quick look of starting HBs around the league and what round they were drafted in. I would guess most were rounds 1-3.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Husky"]He's said to be a "stellar pass catcher".[/quote]

eh? His 21 catches dont real make him a stellar pass catcher. He could probably be pretty good on bubble screens, but he has very little experience as a receiver[/quote]

He was the best performing back in the pass catching drills at the combine.

It is true VT didnt use him much, but that is a flaw in their offense, not in him. To be honest, that offense can be painful to watch. I always have a hard time evaluating QBs and WRs from there because it is so simple a system.

[quote user="slipknottin"]someone do a quick look of starting HBs around the league and what round they were drafted in. I would guess most were rounds 1-3.[/quote]

You could say the same thing about EVERY position in the NFL, but I'm willing to bet there's a higher percentage of starting RBs' outside of top two rounds than there is for most other positions.

I'm not against the pick, I like it actually as it fills a need and likely gives us a future starter with the last pick in the 1st round. But if RB was as valuable a position as others than you wouldn't have OT's and CBs' consistently getting more money each year.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

[quote user="BlueSanta"]He was the best performing back in the pass catching drills at the combine.

It is true VT didnt use him much, but that is a flaw in their offense, not in him. To be honest, that offense can be painful to watch. I always have a hard time evaluating QBs and WRs from there because it is so simple a system.
    [/quote]

Im not knocking him personally for it, I know he cant do anything about the system. But I just look at it as him having very little experience as a receiver.

[quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]You could say the same thing about EVERY position in the NFL, but I'm willing to bet there's a higher percentage of starting RBs' outside of top two rounds than there is for most other positions.

[/quote]

Compare guards, TEs, HBs, I bet the highest percentage of early picks is at HB of those three positions.

[quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="slipknottin"]Giants felt there will be a run on HBs in the 2nd round, and by the time they were on the clock again the quality at the position would be subpar[/quote]

This makes the most sense to me. How could they let him go for another BPA knowing Wilson would be long gone at pick 64. I thunk it was a good move for now and the future. I'd like to see them get another TE and OT on offense and a DT/DE on defense.

Do you think they would consider trading up for Fleener offering Osi and a 7th round pick? Fleener will never make it to 64.
    [/quote]

Osi and a 7th for Fleener??? This would be a horrible decision.

Osi is still one of the best pure pass rushers in the game, and is under contract for another year. Why would you give him away for next to nothing? Our only strength on defense is rushing the passer, and without Osi, our one strength would take a HUGE hit.

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]You could say the same thing about EVERY position in the NFL, but I'm willing to bet there's a higher percentage of starting RBs' outside of top two rounds than there is for most other positions.

[/quote] Compare guards, TEs, HBs, I bet the highest percentage of early picks is at HB of those three positions.[/quote]

Maybe, it'd be close, but also remember Guards and TEs' tend to have much longer shelf lives than RBs'. And compare the type of money guards get in FA nowadays to RBs' and you see how teams value the position.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

[quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]

Maybe, it'd be close, but also remember Guards and TEs' tend to have much longer shelf lives than RBs'. And compare the type of money guards get in FA nowadays to RBs' and you see how teams value the position.

[/quote]

Eh, figure he is under contract for 5 years... Worry about shelf life at the end of those 5 years. By that time they may be looking for a guy to take over from Eli. So I dont even really want to think about 5 years into the future

All-Pro

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Husky"]He's said to be a "stellar pass catcher".*[/quote]

eh? His 21 catches dont real make him a stellar pass catcher. He could probably be pretty good on bubble screens, but he has very little experience as a receiver[/quote]

Just when I thought it couldn't get worse.

[quote user="T.Rice57"][quote user="RoanokeFan"][quote user="slipknottin"]Giants felt there will be a run on HBs in the 2nd round, and by the time they were on the clock again the quality at the position would be subpar[/quote]

This makes the most sense to me. How could they let him go for another BPA knowing Wilson would be long gone at pick 64. I thunk it was a good move for now and the future. I'd like to see them get another TE and OT on offense and a DT/DE on defense.

Do you think they would consider trading up for Fleener offering Osi and a 7th round pick? Fleener will never make it to 64.
    [/quote]

Osi and a 7th for Fleener??? This would be a horrible decision.

Osi is still one of the best pure pass rushers in the game, and is under contract for another year. Why would you give him away for next to nothing? Our only strength on defense is rushing the passer, and without Osi, our one strength would take a HUGE hit.
    [/quote]

And Osi doesn't want to be here. So much so that he's offered to go ANYWHERE else and not redo his contract, something he says he's not interested in doing here.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience. MB Rule # 1

# 80

+ Reply to Thread