+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

Re: Running Backs are a dime a dozen

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="Husky"]He's said to be a "stellar pass catcher".*[/quote]

eh? His 21 catches dont real make him a stellar pass catcher. He could probably be pretty good on bubble screens, but he has very little experience as a receiver[/quote]
    Supposedly he just wasn't used much as a receiver but looked very good in the drills at combine/proday..

[quote user="slipknottin"][quote user="TrueBlue@NYC"]

Maybe, it'd be close, but also remember Guards and TEs' tend to have much longer shelf lives than RBs'. And compare the type of money guards get in FA nowadays to RBs' and you see how teams value the position.

[/quote] Eh, figure he is under contract for 5 years... Worry about shelf life at the end of those 5 years. By that time they may be looking for a guy to take over from Eli. So I dont even really want to think about 5 years into the future[/quote]

Like I said, I have no issues with the pick. Getting a potential (likely) starting RB at the end of the 1st round makes sense to me. I'm not knocking the pick.

I'm just arguing the value of the RB position vs. other positions and the ability to find productive players at those positions later in the draft.

You see 3-4 RBs' every year come out of nowhere to have very productive years. You don't see that as much with other positions, percentage wise.

All Hail The New York Giants!!

Banned

"YEAH RIGHT"

All-Pro

I completely agree with the OP. I'm the biggest JR homer out there, but I do question this pick. The Denver broncos showed everyone years ago that behind a good o-line, anyone, and i mean anyone, can run for 1k yards.

All-Pro

well think about why the RB position has been de-valued

and as usual money is at the heart of it

every team now has 2 RBs and many have 3 RBs that play (we obviously had AB, BJ and D-Ware last year)... so you don't want to tie up huge $$ in one RB

2nd, RBs only have a shelf-life of a little over 5 years, so you are not getting someone that could be a star player for you for 8-10 years

3rd, of course, is the fact that it is easier to move the ball in the air than on the ground with the way the NFL rules are

finally RBs can be found in later rounds ... AB, Arian Foster (UDFA), etc.

so let's evualate that vs. our draft pick ... at 32nd we will not have to break the bank and obviously we need RBs b/c we want to have a 3 back rotation

with the RB shelf-life ... well again that means you need to re-stock and we just did that

while it is easier to move the ball thru the air ... we have been a team that tries harder than most stay committed to the run ... plus, i'm hearing Wilson performed well in catching drills at the combine

finally, while RBs can be found in later rounds and have been found in later rounds ... that doesn't mean they are easier to find in later rounds ... Wilson clearly will have a far greater shot to be good than somebody we might pick in the 6th round

[quote user="gumby742"]I completely agree with the OP. I'm the biggest JR homer out there, but I do question this pick. The Denver broncos showed everyone years ago that behind a good o-line, anyone, and i mean anyone, can run for 1k yards.[/quote]

So again I ask YOU....what o-lineman was worth picking at 32? IMHO, the Giants took the next best RB on the board. He would not have been there at our spot in rd 2.

And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “**** waffles.”......G Carlin

Besides Arian Foster, what DOMINATE RBs were taken after the 3rd round??
    Since they're a dime a dozen, I was just curious....

Ohm Youngmisuk ? @NotoriousOHM Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
    RT @AdamSchefter @PSchrags: According to STATS, David Wilson gained 990 yards last season after making contact with a defender, best in NCAA

Yup RB are a dime a dozen but not every RB can do what this kid does ! Two words, Impact Player!
    " Success is never final, but failure can be " B.P.

All-Pro

[quote user="mikeq672"][quote user="TuckYou"][quote user="Firenugget"]I'm tired of hearing that. No offense to you personally, just in general. RB's are definitely not a dime a dozen. Unless of course you mean 3rd/4th string RB's...

As far as the Bucs go I like Wilson better than Martin myself.
    [/quote] No, RBs are a dime a dozen. Bradshaw is a perfect example. 7th round. Jacobs was a 4th round. Only time will tell though. For now, I trust Reese and will root hard for David Wilson. I just see this as a need pick, not a BPA.[/quote]

Brady was drafted in the 6th round, I guess QB's are a dime a dozen too. And Im beginning to think most of you dont actually know what dime a dozen means, either that or you actually think that running backs are so common that they have 0 value.

I get a kick out of the reaching comments too, its not reaching if you think the guy is going to be good. If you like him, you take him.

I guess youd just rather watch shotgun draws to Ware all season long.
    [/quote]

No. Id rather we waited on getting a RB in the draft. I dontthink Ware is any good.What if Scott turns it on this year?QBs are not a dime a dozen and that remark is irrelevant. How often does a Tom Brady come along in the 6th round compared to RBs falling late. In this specific class, I think there is asome good value deep for RBs. Yes, it is my worthless opinion, but I can say it.

Also, Wilson does has fumbling issues from what I heard.

Whatever though, Go Giants! Go David Wilson! Welcome to the Champs.

[quote user="FBomb"]

[quote user="gumby742"]I completely agree with the OP. I'm the biggest JR homer out there, but I do question this pick. The Denver broncos showed everyone years ago that behind a good o-line, anyone, and i mean anyone, can run for 1k yards.[/quote]

So again I ask YOU....what o-lineman was worth picking at 32? IMHO, the Giants took the next best RB on the board. He would not have been there at our spot in rd 2.

[/quote]

As Slip has so correctly pointed out, we aren't gong to pick again until 64, this made a lot of sense.
    “Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” MB Rule # 1

+ Reply to Thread